This Hurricane Jose is....?

• News
  • Thread starter PhanthomJay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hurricane
In summary, the European model is more accurate than the other models and shows a more threatening path for Jose. Although it will bring some wind and rain to southern New England, it is not a blockbuster storm. Hurricane Maria is more dangerous and is expected to make landfall on Puerto Rico as a Cat 5.
PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I find it interesting that most of the tropical forecast "Spaghetti" models put out by the NHC have Jose well out to sea as it tracks off the east coast of the US. But those models do not include the incredibly accurate ECMWF "European" model, which tracks the storm closer to the US east coast, but still sparing most of the coast from any rain and significant wind, just rough surf; however, the track seems to put it on a beeline toward the offshore waters of New England, specifically, not too far east of Massachusetts' Nantucket Island on Tuesday evening/Wednesday morning. It also shows some strengthening of the storm as it churns up the coast, which to me indicates it will be more of a Northeaster than a hurricane, since hurricanes tend to weaken as they move over the colder waters. But in any case, it doesn't look like a blockbuster storm, so no need to panic yet and start evacuating. It will be fun to watch to see if the European model will once again outsmart the other models and the human forecasters. Watch for the latest model updates twice daily on www.weather.unisys.com , click on ECMWF model. The American made GFS model is pretty good also, tracking it east of the ECMWF, but west of the tossed 'spaghetti' models.

Physics news on Phys.org
-European model maintaining its previous forecast track to off east Nantucket coast on Wednesday.
-GFS shifts it track WEST of the European (!) to off Delmarva peninsula Tuesday and slamming into RI and southeast MA on Wednesday, then stalling and weakening. (GFS-ECMWF rivalry is more intense than the Red Sox-Yankees rivalry).
-GFS looking ahead in 10 days at another ominous looking hurricane in the mid-Atlantic.
-NHC shifts official track westerly, but still east of the GFS/European tracks.

-In any case, storm will be Cat 1 as it churns up the Atlantic, plenty of Surf. Looks to me like it will strengthen a bit as it moves along, becoming an extra-tropical 'nor'easter', some rain SE NE, and wind gusts along shores to perhaps no greater than 40 or 50 mph. Quite survivable.

-But please refer to NHC for official guidance, thanks.

For anyone who still has interest, Jose will grind to a halt south then east of Nantucket , weaken, and reverse direction southward toward Hurricane Maria, which will be churning up the mid Atlantic next week.
Jose will bring some rain and wind to southern New England, mostly the Cape and Islands, Tuesday and Wednesday, but not significant, northeasterly wind gusts to 40 mph at most. Maria, on the other hand, will be more potent, more or less following the same path as Jose did, the latter of which will be absorbed by the former.
I've had it up to my eyeballs with the NHC, they need a good forecaster down there. I nominate Old Dan to take over the helm.

I was just watching the Weather Channel. There was a very interesting 3D graphic in which it looked like the presenter was standing in front of a house. The winds increased from Cat 1 to Cat 5 and it showed the damage. I certainly wouldn't want to go through even a Cat 2.

Meanwhile, people on the Florida Keys are still struggling. It will take months and perhaps even a year or more for full recovery.

Maria is extremely dangerous and the WC just reported that there are concerns that on Wednesday it may make landfall on Puerto Rico as a Cat 5, which would be catastrophic.

Bulletin: The period when this planet was inhabitable is coming to an end. See you after the next ice age is over.

I plan to be here, hiding out with my loved ones in our secret nuclear-powered bunker. Don't ask what we intend to eat, that's our little secret. We're also building an ark, just in case.

Noisy Rhysling said:
Bulletin: The period when this planet was inhabitable is coming to an end. See you after the next ice age is over.

What is the current status of Hurricane Jose?

Hurricane Jose is currently a Category 1 hurricane with sustained winds of 75 mph. It is located in the Atlantic Ocean, about 400 miles east-northeast of the southeastern Bahamas.

Is Hurricane Jose a threat to any land areas?

At this time, Hurricane Jose is not expected to directly impact any land areas. However, it is important to monitor the storm's track as it could potentially affect the eastern coast of the United States or Bermuda in the coming days.

How strong is Hurricane Jose expected to become?

According to the National Hurricane Center, Hurricane Jose is expected to strengthen over the next 48 hours and could become a major hurricane (Category 3 or higher) by Friday. However, there is still uncertainty in the forecast and it is important to monitor updates from the NHC.

What is the difference between a hurricane and a tropical storm?

A hurricane is a tropical cyclone with sustained winds of 74 mph or higher, while a tropical storm has sustained winds between 39-73 mph. Hurricanes are typically more powerful and destructive than tropical storms.

What precautions should I take to prepare for Hurricane Jose?

Even though Hurricane Jose is not currently a threat to land areas, it is always important to be prepared for potential hurricanes. This includes having a plan in place, stocking up on supplies, and staying informed through reliable sources such as the National Hurricane Center.