This may be the neatest paragraph you'll ever read.

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
In summary, a research at Cambridge University has shown that the order of letters in a word does not matter as long as the first and last letter are in the right place. The rest can be a jumbled mess and still be read easily. This is because the human mind reads words as a whole, rather than individual letters. This discovery challenges the belief that spelling is crucial in reading and raises questions about people who claim dyslexia as the reason for their poor performance in school. However, it's important to note that spelling is still graded in school and non-dyslexic individuals have the advantage of knowing the correct version of a word to compare it to.
tribdog
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are in; the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a ttoal mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

I just think this is so cool. I had no idea spelling was so unimportant. Makes me wonder about all the people who claim they did poorly in school because they are partially dyslexic. Maybe the are partially dumb and lazy instead. Okay, that's a little too harsh, but I have a new opinion about reading now, and less sympathy for some people I know who claim dyslexia caused them to not be able to correct their children's homework.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know dyslexia very well, but i know its far more complicated than that.

As for the spelling that really is quite cool, i could read it almost as fast as if it where all spelt correctly.

Whoa, that IS the neatest paragraph I've ever read! *forwarding email to friends* WB tribdog!

Hrm, I notice that the permutations of the letters is small; they tend to be near where they should be in the long words. Allow me to run an experiment:

Aicrndocg to a rhaceseh at Cgarbdime Uviintsery, it dseon't mtaetr waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are in; the olny itonrampt tnihg is taht the fsrit and lsat lteter be at the rhigt pacle. The rset can be a ttaol mses and you can slitl raed it wuhitot ploerbm. Tish is busacee the haumn mnid deos not raed eervy lteter by ilestf, but the wrod as a wolhe. Azinamg, huh?

Anyways, context of the words is important too; I occasionally have a hard time hearing people, but I can still usually understand people even if I only heard 75% of the words clearly; sometimes I can piece together the sentence even if I didn't hear a single word clearly by processing it after I hear it.

Originally posted by Hurkyl
Aicrndocg to a rhaceseh at Cgarbdime Uviintsery, it dseon't mtaetr waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are in; the olny itonrampt tnihg is taht the fsrit and lsat lteter be at the rhigt pacle. The rset can be a ttaol mses and you can slitl raed it wuhitot ploerbm. Tish is busacee the haumn mnid deos not raed eervy lteter by ilestf, but the wrod as a wolhe. Azinamg, huh?

Anyways, context of the words is important too; I occasionally have a hard time hearing people, but I can still usually understand people even if I only heard 75% of the words clearly; sometimes I can piece together the sentence even if I didn't hear a single word clearly by processing it after I hear it.

Your version is almost in accordance with Cambridge Universities test, Hurkyl. Nice job. The only part where I had to stop for yours and not for Cambridge's was the last sentence. I had to check theirs then yours and then I got it. But your version was almost exactly the same speed as theirs.

I noticed too, that I can quickly pick up on a conversation that I potentially could just jumpe into, even if it might be half-way through already. I wonder what function of the brain can piece that puzzle together so quickly and I wonder if one could "hone" these skills and adapt them for further snippity-snaps.

Originally posted by tribdog
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are in; the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a ttoal mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

I just think this is so cool. I had no idea spelling was so unimportant. Makes me wonder about all the people who claim they did poorly in school because they are partially dyslexic. Maybe the are partially dumb and lazy instead. Okay, that's a little too harsh, but I have a new opinion about reading now, and less sympathy for some people I know who claim dyslexia caused them to not be able to correct their children's homework.
Interesting. I posted the same thing back in September, but got very little response.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6052
--except megashawn thought I'd been smacked in the head.

I was without internet in september so I got a good excuse

I just don't like you, lol.

Originally posted by tribdog
Makes me wonder about all the people who claim they did poorly in school because they are partially dyslexic. Maybe the are partially dumb and lazy instead. Okay, that's a little too harsh, but I have a new opinion about reading now, and less sympathy for some people I know who claim dyslexia caused them to not be able to correct their children's homework.

being dyslexic i feel particularly compelled to point out that you are being dumb and lazy in your attempt at logic. they key factor you are overlooking is the fact that, in school, they grade you on your spelling!. :wink:

Originally posted by Andy
I just don't like you, lol.
Think I'll eat some worms.

Originally posted by kyleb
being dyslexic i feel particularly compelled to point out that you are being dumb and lazy in your attempt at logic. they key factor you are overlooking is the fact that, in school, they grade you on your spelling!. :wink:
Not only that, but the reason this works is because a non-dyslexic person knows the original, correct version against which to compare the misspelled one. Dyslexics are not able to put together a coherent "correct" version in the first place without a tremendous amount of remedial work.

Dyslexia is not a myth. I read a neurologists account of the observation of some of the neurons in a slide taken from dyslexic person's brain (post mortem, of course). The neurons of the language area he was studying were all twisted and incoherently interconnected. (This was Dr. Wilder Penfield, as I recall.)

Originally posted by Tsunami
Interesting. I posted the same thing back in September, but got very little response.
The funny thing, Tsunami, is that Quartodecimain had posted the same thing a day or two before you. His thread got the attention. I saw yours, but I didn't say anything because I figured you'd see his sooner or later.

itnesrsitng prgaraph, gvies poelpe liek me hpoe :)

Originally posted by zoobyshoe
The funny thing, Tsunami, is that Quartodecimain had posted the same thing a day or two before you. His thread got the attention. I saw yours, but I didn't say anything because I figured you'd see his sooner or later.
That IS pretty funny. I didn't see his. I was pretty new here back then and wasn't spending much time in GD. I received it in an email from Ivan's mom and he urged me to post it. I think it may have been one of my first threads.:smile:

1) A vheclie epxledod at a plocie cehckipont near the UN haduqertares in Bagahdd on Mnoday kilinlg the bmober and an Irqai polcie offceir

2) Big ccunoil tax ineesacrs tihs yaer hvae seezueqd the inmcoes of mnay pneosenirs

3) A dootcr has aimttded the magltheuansr of a tageene ceacnr pintaet who deid aetfr a hatospil durg blendur

just thought I'd post these up...so you can see it isn't quite that easy...its much easier once you expect the word to be there...but if you don't have a good idea what the next word is...its much harder to decipher...

for example:
I snlreiecy digarese wtih the perisems put frtoh aobut scbrialnmg wrods, so I'm itionltlnaney enrovdaenig to ulizite leetnghir cpocmtaeild wodrs, not nclesiesray uonommcn wrdos, taht can not be dceerihped as ieuntlivity as tohse in the oirginal prgpraaah. The frist of my dsiceorives is taht wrods endnig in sufefxis or bnegining in pierxfes bmecoe daggesiend form the frist/lsat ltteer rothlpisneias taht spupedsloy are the baiss of the pmseires, and bemcoe mcuh mroe clinaelnhgg, amsolt ieclenaipbhrde. See?

-Ty

Originally posted by Hurkyl
--- ---- don't --- read every letter, --- don't read every word, ---. -- fact, --- probably ---- like --- 50% -- ---.

And yeah, the order has to be close for big words, otherwise they are tough to fueirg out.

1. What makes this paragraph so neat?

This paragraph is considered neat because it is well-structured, concise, and contains interesting information that captures the reader's attention.

2. Can you provide an example of a neat paragraph?

Yes, the paragraph you are reading right now is a great example of a neat paragraph. It is organized, easy to understand, and contains useful information.

3. How can I make my paragraphs neater?

To make your paragraphs neater, try to keep them focused on one main idea, use clear and concise language, and use proper grammar and punctuation.

4. What is the benefit of reading neat paragraphs?

Reading neat paragraphs can improve your understanding of the topic, save you time, and make the information more enjoyable to read.

5. Is it important for scientists to write neat paragraphs?

Yes, it is important for scientists to write neat paragraphs because it helps to effectively communicate their research and findings to others in the scientific community.