Thought experiment in relativistic quantum mechanics?

In summary: Can you point me in the right direction?This is a breakdown condition for the 1st quantization of relativistic quantum mechanics.
Someone_physics
Background
---
Consider the following thought experiment in the setting of relativistic quantum mechanics (not QFT). I have a particle in superposition of the position basis:

[tex] H | \psi \rangle = E | \psi \rangle [/tex]

Now I suddenly turn on an interaction potential [itex] H_{int} [/itex] localized at [itex] r_o = (x_o,y_o,z_o) [/itex] at time [itex]t_o[/itex]:

$$
H_{int}(r) =
\begin{cases}
k & r \leq r_r' \\
0 & r > r'
\end{cases}
$$

where [itex]r[/itex] is the radial coordinate and [itex]r'[/itex] is the radius of the interaction of the potential with origin [itex] (x_o,y_o,z_o) [/itex]. By the logic of the sudden approximation out state has not had enough time to react. Thus the increase in average energy is:

[tex] \langle \Delta E \rangle = 4 \pi k \int_0^{r'} |\psi(r,\theta,\phi)|^2 d r [/tex]

(assuming radial symmetry).

Now, let's say while the potential is turned on at [itex] t_0[/itex] I also perform a measurement of energy at time [itex] t_1 [/itex] outside a region of space with a measuring apparatus at some other region [itex] (x_1,y_1,z_1)[/itex]. Using some geometry it can be shown I choose [itex] t_1 > t_0 + r'/c [/itex] such that:

[tex] c^2(t_1 - t_0 - r'/c)^2 -(x_1 - x_0)^2 - (y_1 - y_0)^2 - (z_1 - z_0)^2 < 0 [/tex]

Hence, they are space-like separated. This means I could have one observer who first sees me turn on the potential [itex] H_{int} [/itex] and measure a bump in energy [itex] \langle \Delta E \rangle [/itex] but I could also have an observer who sees me first measure energy and then turn on the interaction potential.

Obviously the second observer will observe something different.

Question
---
How does relativistic quantum mechanics deal with this paradox?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It deals with it by using QFT. A 1st-quantization formalism is doomed to fail, precisely because of the causality considerations you just observed!

vanhees71 said:
It deals with it by using QFT. A 1st-quantization formalism is doomed to fail, precisely because of the causality considerations you just observed!

Can I have a reference for this? I've skimmed through a book of RQM (https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783540674573) which makes not mention of this :/

It's because it's a book about "relativistic quantum mechanics". A nice heuristic argument is given in the beginning of the well-known textbook by Peskin and Schroeder (though in general I'd rather recommend Schwartz as a relativistic QFT intro book).

vanhees71 said:
It's because it's a book about "relativistic quantum mechanics". A nice heuristic argument is given in the beginning of the well-known textbook by Peskin and Schroeder (though in general I'd rather recommend Schwartz as a relativistic QFT intro book).

I'll have a look.

In a similar spirit to page 21 I can modify the last inequality by stating the time taken for the sudden approximation to be valid is

[tex]\tau = t_{1/2} - t_0 >> \frac{\hbar}{\langle \Delta E \rangle} [/tex]

The time after the sudden approximation is measured is given by [itex] \Delta t_1 = t_1 - t_{1/2} [/itex] then:[tex] c^2 (\Delta t_1 - \frac{\hbar}{ \langle \Delta E \rangle} - r'/c)^2 < (x_1 - x_0)^2 + (y_1 - y_0)^2 + (z_1 -z_0)^2 [/tex]

I haven't seen this expression before as a breakdown condition for QM

1. What is a thought experiment in relativistic quantum mechanics?

A thought experiment in relativistic quantum mechanics is a hypothetical scenario used to explore the implications of the theory of relativity and quantum mechanics. It involves using theoretical principles and logical reasoning to imagine the outcomes of different scenarios and understand the behavior of particles in extreme conditions.

2. How are thought experiments used in relativistic quantum mechanics?

Thought experiments are used in relativistic quantum mechanics to test the limits of the theory and to understand the behavior of particles in situations that are difficult or impossible to recreate in a laboratory. They allow scientists to explore the consequences of different assumptions and to gain insights into the fundamental principles of the theory.

3. What are some famous thought experiments in relativistic quantum mechanics?

Some famous thought experiments in relativistic quantum mechanics include Schrödinger's cat, the twin paradox, and the EPR paradox. These experiments explore concepts such as superposition, time dilation, and entanglement, and have played a significant role in shaping our understanding of the theory.

4. Why are thought experiments important in relativistic quantum mechanics?

Thought experiments are important in relativistic quantum mechanics because they allow scientists to explore the implications of the theory and to make predictions about the behavior of particles in extreme conditions. They also help to identify gaps in our understanding and to guide future research in the field.

5. Are thought experiments in relativistic quantum mechanics just theoretical or can they be tested?

Thought experiments in relativistic quantum mechanics are primarily theoretical and cannot be directly tested in a laboratory. However, the predictions and insights gained from these experiments can be tested through experiments and observations of real-world phenomena. This allows scientists to validate and refine the theory of relativistic quantum mechanics.