Intro to Quantum Electrodynamics

It covers the basics of quantum electrodynamics and includes exercises and examples for self-study.In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in electricity and magnetism and their current studies in quantum theory. They mention being fascinated by the story of Feynman, Schwinger, and Tomonaga and their work in QED. The speaker also shares their plan to continue studying quantum mechanics and electrodynamics, and asks for recommendations on self-studying quantum electrodynamics. The responder suggests the book "Field Quantization" by Joachim Reinhardt as a good starting point for learning QFT.
Mondayman
Hi folks,

Electricity and magnetism have always been my favorite subjects, and I am just getting to learn the basics of quantum theory and it is absolutely terrific going. I was always fascinated by the story of Feynman, Schwinger, and Tomonaga tackling QED from the books Genius by James Gleick and QED and the Men Who Made It by Silvan Schweber. Of course QED by Feynman was great as well. Naturally studying the quantum theory of my favorite subject is a good idea.

I have only studied relativity and quantum mechanics from Modern Physics by Taylor/Krane at this point, and am self-studying QM and SR from French at the moment. I will be taking a full-year courses in quantum mechanics and electrodynamics out of Griffiths, and statistical mechanics out of Greiner next Fall (2021). I am wondering where one would go to self-study quantum electrodynamics from that point on? I know I am getting way ahead of myself, but I like to plan ahead.

Thanks,
MM

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
The volume "Field Quantization" in the Greiner series, written by Joachim Reinhardt, is an excellent starting point to learn QFT.

Likes Mondayman and George Jones

1. What is Quantum Electrodynamics (QED)?

Quantum Electrodynamics is a fundamental theory in physics that describes the interactions between electrically charged particles and electromagnetic fields. It combines the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to explain how particles interact with each other through the exchange of photons.

2. How does QED differ from classical electrodynamics?

In classical electrodynamics, the behavior of particles and electromagnetic fields is described using continuous values. However, in QED, the behavior is described using discrete values and probabilities. This allows QED to accurately predict the behavior of particles at the quantum level, where classical physics fails to do so.

3. What are the key concepts in QED?

The key concepts in QED include the quantization of electromagnetic fields, the concept of virtual particles, and the use of Feynman diagrams to calculate the probability of particle interactions. Additionally, the theory also incorporates the concept of renormalization, which accounts for the effects of infinite values in calculations.

4. How does QED relate to other theories in physics?

QED is a part of the Standard Model of particle physics, which also includes the theories of strong and weak interactions. It is also closely related to the theory of general relativity, as it provides a framework for understanding the behavior of particles in the presence of strong gravitational fields.

5. What are some real-world applications of QED?

QED has been successfully used to explain a wide range of phenomena, such as the behavior of atoms, the properties of materials, and the interactions between subatomic particles. It has also played a crucial role in the development of technologies such as transistors, lasers, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).