Thread reply adds email to watch, despite preference against

• Bug
  • Thread starter UsableThought
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a user's issue with receiving email notifications when replying to a thread. Despite changing their preferences to not receive these notifications, the system still adds them for their initial reply. The solution is to go to the "Unwatch thread" link and uncheck the email notification option. This should be done for all currently watched threads. After doing this, the problem is resolved.
UsableThought
I've set my preferences so as not to have email notification when I watch a thread or reply to a thread. Yet despite this, every time I reply to a thread for the first time, the system always adds email notification to my watching. To get rid of the email notification, I go to the "Unwatch thread" link at the top of the thread, click to unwatch, then re-click to "Watch thread" with email notification not checked. Once I have done this for a thread, any further replies by me to that thread do not add email notification anymore. So it's only the initial reply that does this. Is something broken somewhere?

Here's what the preferences look like for my profile:

preferences_zpskrlnryk2.png

Likes BvU
Physics news on Phys.org
UsableThought said:
Here's what the preferences look like for my profile:

preferences_zpskrlnryk2.png

Check the subsequent "receive email notifications".

Greg Bernhardt said:
Check the subsequent "receive email notifications".
But he doesn't want those mails.

I cannot reproduce your problem. I have the same settings and I never get emails.

Did you check the checkbox, save, uncheck it, and save again?

Your settings look fine in the database. Just make sure all currently watched threads are set to no email.

mfb said:
Did you check the checkbox, save, uncheck it, and save again?

I'll give this a try, thanks.

Update - that seems to have fixed it. So it must have been some funky problem with prefs not having been properly saved.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. Why is my email being added to thread replies even though I have a preference against it?

This could be due to a glitch or error in the system. It is possible that your preference settings were not saved properly, or there could be a bug in the code. It is recommended to check your settings and make sure they are saved correctly. If the issue persists, you can reach out to technical support for assistance.

2. Can I opt out of having my email added to thread replies?

Yes, most websites and platforms have an option to opt out of receiving email notifications for thread replies. Check your settings or preferences to see if this option is available. If not, you can reach out to the website or platform's support team for assistance in disabling this feature.

3. Is there a way to control which threads my email is added to?

Yes, some platforms may have the option to choose which threads you want to receive email notifications for. This feature may be available in your settings or preferences. If not, you can reach out to the support team for assistance in customizing your email notifications.

4. How can I stop receiving email notifications for thread replies?

If you are receiving email notifications for thread replies despite your preference against it, you can try adjusting your settings and making sure they are saved correctly. If the issue persists, you can reach out to technical support for assistance in disabling this feature or troubleshooting any potential glitches.

5. Can I still participate in thread discussions without receiving email notifications?

Yes, most platforms have the option to participate in thread discussions without receiving email notifications. You can check your settings or preferences to see if this option is available. If not, you can reach out to the support team for assistance in disabling email notifications while still being able to participate in discussions.