Three different integration schemes

• I
  • Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a first order linear ODE system numerically using three different methods: implicit Euler, explicit Euler, and RK4. The plots of the numerical solutions and the exact solution are attached, along with the maximum error. The question is asked why some techniques are better than others, to which the answer is that different methods have different accuracies and may also have different effects on error propagation and the preservation of certain properties, such as volume or norm. The recommendation is to read good resources on the subject for a more complete understanding.
member 428835
I'm solving a first order linear ODE system numerically three different ways: implicit Euler, explicit Euler, and RK4. Attached are the plots of the numerical solutions (line and stream of small closely-connected dots) and the exact solution (big dots). Also I plot the maximum error (right column).

My question is, why are some techniques better than others?

Attachments

• NumericODE.pdf
    106.5 KB · Views: 232
Physics news on Phys.org
joshmccraney said:
My question is, why are some techniques better than others?
A complete answer would necessitate writing a textbook on numerical methods. Therefore, my best recommendation is to read good resources on the subject.

In a nutshell, you have to remember that these numerical methods produce approximations to the actual solutions. For instance, RK4 is called that because it is accurate up to 4th order. Different methods will have different accuracies. Also, there is the question of propagation of error: how does the error in one step affect the error in a subsequent step? Some methods are unstable: it is impossible to keep the errors from accumulating to the point of producing incorrect results.

There is also a choice of what is being approximated out. For example, some integrators are symplectic, meaning that they will preserve the volume in phase space. Another method which is not symplectic might be of higher accuracy, but the price to pay in using it is a distortion in phase space. In quantum mechanics, it is often important to use methods that are unitary and will conserve the norm of the wave function.

Likes member 428835

Related to Three different integration schemes

1. What are the three different integration schemes?

The three different integration schemes are the Euler method, the Midpoint method, and the Runge-Kutta method. These schemes are used to numerically solve differential equations.

2. What is the difference between the Euler method and the Midpoint method?

The Euler method uses a forward difference approximation to estimate the value of the next point in the solution, while the Midpoint method uses a midpoint approximation. This results in the Midpoint method being more accurate than the Euler method.

3. How does the Runge-Kutta method improve upon the Euler and Midpoint methods?

The Runge-Kutta method is a higher-order method, meaning it uses more terms in its approximation. This results in a more accurate solution compared to the Euler and Midpoint methods.

4. Can the integration schemes be used for any type of differential equation?

Yes, the integration schemes can be used for any type of differential equation as long as the initial conditions are known. However, some equations may require a specific integration scheme to achieve a desired level of accuracy.

5. Are there any limitations to using integration schemes?

One limitation of using integration schemes is that they can only approximate the solution, not provide an exact solution. Additionally, the accuracy of the solution depends on the step size chosen, and very small step sizes can result in a large number of calculations.