Threshhold compressible flow Ma = 0.3

In summary, the conversation discusses two different approaches for calculating the error in determining when a flow can be considered compressible. The first approach looks at the density change relative to the total density, while the second approach considers the percent change in density. Both methods ultimately arrive at the conclusion that a Mach number of 0.3 is the cutoff value for determining incompressibility. However, there is some discrepancy in the acceptable error for each method, with the first approach considering an error of 5% or less to be acceptable and the second approach considering an error of 10% or less to be acceptable. This difference in error criteria could be attributed to the different variables being analyzed and the assumptions made about incompressibility.
NotesF
Hi guys,

I'm trying to delve into compressible flow and in the various textbooks I'm reading I've found two school of thoughts when it comes to how to calculate the threshold (or error compared to incompressible flow) of 'M' when to consider a flow compressible.

In Fundamentals of Aerdnyamics (Anderson) this equation is used to calculate the 'error' between considering the fluid compressible and not
$$ \frac{\rho_0} {\rho}= (1+ \frac {\gamma -1}{2} M^2)^{\frac{1} {\gamma-1}} $$
For air (gamma = 1.4), this would give a deviation of (nearly) 5% between ##\rho## and ##\rho_0## at M = 0.3. Anderson uses this to show with an error of merely 5% you might as well consider the flow incompressible. Whereas in other textbooks (White; Kundu, Cohen) this equation is used to determine said deviation
$$ -M^2 \frac {dV}{V} = \frac {d\rho}{\rho}$$
This would give us a 9% error at M = 0.3 (for some reason literally every textbook rounds this up to 10%. I haven't found a single textbook that said otherwise). In these textbooks the authors derive at the conclusion that with an error of 10% (or less) the flow can be considered incompressible and ignore all the extra kerfuffle that compressible flow brings to the table.

My question is: What differentiates the two approaches to calculate the error? I mean obviously in the first equation the fluid is important (gamma value), but other than that? I think the two approaches describe two different "errors", but I can't seem to pinpoint what exactly the difference is.

If there is a link or a textbook that describes or answers my question, there is no need to spoonfeed me, just point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are looking at the error in two different variables. In the first it's a density change relative to the total density and in the second it's the percent change in density.

Likes NotesF
Oh, right! Thank you! I have a follow up question tho: Why is it that for the density change relative to the total densitiy an error of (or under) 5% is good enough to be considered incompressible, whereas for the perecent change in density an error of 10% is considered OK? I know that its just a guide value, but its kinda nagging me, because at the end of the day both methods justify the same thing ("when is it OK to consider a flow incompressible").

Like to me it looks like one of the two methods was 'reverse-engineered' (even though I know that is not the case), to say: Both methods arrive at the conclusion that M=0.3 is the cutoff value, while both methods use different variables AND have different results (errors). Its kinda as if M=0.3 was set as the cutoff value using one method, and then the error for the other method was calculated using M=0.3.

Personally, I don't like the Anderson definition. Ultimately, the assumption of incompressibility is tantamount to assuming the density isn't changing, so you have to pick a criteria that you feel makes that true enough. Most of the time, it amounts to assuming that the density fluctuations (relative to density) are much smaller than 1, i.e.
[tex]\dfrac{d\rho}{\rho}\ll 1.[/tex]
The implication is that variations in other quantities like ##du/u## are going to be order 1, so ##d\rho/\rho \ll 1## makes those fluctuations irrelevant by comparison. usually, that means it would need to be at least an order of magnitude less than 1, or
[tex]d\rho/\rho < 0.1.[/tex]
Since, as you've already mentioned, the Mach number squared is proportional to ##d\rho/\rho##,
[tex]M^2\propto \dfrac{d\rho}{\rho},[/tex]
then
[tex]M^2\ll 1,[/tex]
or
[tex]M^2< 0.1.[/tex]
The square root of that is
[tex]M<0.3.[/tex]

Likes NotesF

What is threshold compressible flow?

Threshold compressible flow refers to the flow of a fluid at the point where it transitions from subsonic to supersonic speeds. This typically occurs at a Mach number (Ma) of 0.3.

What is Mach number?

Mach number is a dimensionless quantity that represents the speed of an object relative to the speed of sound in the surrounding medium. It is calculated by dividing the speed of the object by the speed of sound.

What is the significance of a Mach number of 0.3?

A Mach number of 0.3 is significant because it is the threshold at which a fluid transitions from subsonic to supersonic speeds. This is an important point in the study of compressible flow and can have significant effects on the behavior of the fluid.

What factors affect compressible flow at a Mach number of 0.3?

The behavior of compressible flow at a Mach number of 0.3 can be affected by various factors such as the density, temperature, and pressure of the fluid, as well as the shape and speed of the object moving through the fluid.

What are some real-world applications of threshold compressible flow Ma = 0.3?

Threshold compressible flow at a Mach number of 0.3 is relevant in many fields, including aviation, aerospace engineering, and meteorology. It is important for understanding the behavior of fluids at high speeds and can inform the design and operation of various technologies and systems.