Throttling Calorimeter water equivalent

In summary: Here's how I would do it:In summary, to determine the state of steam in a pipe, a container filled with water was used to condense the steam. The container initially weighed 850g and had 8kg of liquid water at 16 degrees celsius. After the steam was inserted and condensed, the total weight of the container+water+condensed steam was 9.04kg and the temperature rose to 31.5 degrees celsius. The steam was passed through an isenthalpic throttle device to reduce the pressure to atmospheric (0.1 MN/m2) before entering the container. Using the heat transfer equation, the specific enthalpy of the steam was found to be 2899.88 k
aldo sebastian

Homework Statement

Steam runs through a pipe, and the state of the steam is required to be found. To do this, some of the steam was condensed inside a container filled with water.

The container weighs 850g, and has 8kg of liquid water inside it initially. The whole system was measured to be in 16 degrees celsius.

The steam is inserted into the container, and after condensation the new total weight of the container+water+condensed steam is 9.04kg and the new temperature is 31.5 degrees celsius.

The steam was originally in the pipe at 3.0 MN/m2. To safely pass the steam into the container, it was first passed through an isenthalpic throttle device to reduce the pressure to atmospheric (0.1 MN/m2).

Homework Equations

Determine the state of the steam in the pipe.

specific heat of container = 0.384 kJ/kgK and specific heat of liquid water = 4.2 kJ/kgK

The Attempt at a Solution

So I did this:
Inside the container,
Heat transferred by steam = Heat absorbed by water

specific enthalphy of steam after throttling x steam mass - steam mass x 4.2 x 31.5 (i.e. the steam that has condensed) = water mass * 4.2 * (31.5-16) + container mass * 0.384 * (31.5-16).

The steam mass is, from mass conservation, equal to 9.04-8-0.85=0.19 kg

Solving for specific enthalphy I got it to be 2899.88 kJ/kg
Since throttling doesn't change the specific enthalphy of the steam, the specific enthalphy of steam after throttling=before throttling.

And so now we know the pressure and the specific enthalphy at the pipe, we can go to steam tables and realize that the steam is superheated.

Now however in textbook I saw that they do this instead to the heat transfer equation:

specific enthalphy of steam after throttling x steam mass - steam mass x 4.2 x 31.5 (i.e. the steam that has condensed) = water mass * 4.2 * (31.5-16) + (container mass *4.2 ) * 0.384 (31.5-16)

in which they claim that it is the water equivalent of container. Doing it their way gives specific enthalphy of 2985.188 kJ/kg.

Where did I go wrong in my method? what is this water equivalent thing?
I also realized I did not use the information about the pressure after throttling. Did I do something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
In my judgment, you are right and they are wrong. But I don't like the way either you or they have set up the problem.

1. What is a throttling calorimeter?

A throttling calorimeter is a scientific instrument used to measure the specific enthalpy of a fluid, typically water, by controlling its flow rate and measuring its temperature changes.

2. How does a throttling calorimeter work?

A throttling calorimeter works by allowing a controlled amount of fluid, typically water, to pass through a small opening called a throttle valve. The fluid then expands and its temperature and pressure are measured before and after the expansion. The change in temperature and pressure are used to calculate the specific enthalpy of the fluid.

3. What is the water equivalent of a throttling calorimeter?

The water equivalent of a throttling calorimeter is the amount of water that would be required to produce the same temperature change as the fluid being measured. In other words, it is the mass of water that has the same specific heat capacity as the fluid being measured.

4. Why is the water equivalent of a throttling calorimeter important?

The water equivalent of a throttling calorimeter is important because it allows for accurate measurements of specific enthalpy. Since the instrument is designed to measure the enthalpy of water, the water equivalent is needed to account for any differences in specific heat capacity between the fluid being measured and water.

5. How is the water equivalent of a throttling calorimeter determined?

The water equivalent of a throttling calorimeter can be determined experimentally by conducting tests with known amounts of water and measuring the resulting temperature changes. It can also be calculated using the specific heat capacity of water and the mass of the instrument.