Through hole socket for Surface mount components

In summary: Jason ONo, the links were just for resources to get you the blank PCBs. For the soldering part, you will need an assembly house to do that for you, but they won't generally take on small-size jobs like a couple of boards. There are folks like consultants who do small assembly jobs on the side. I know of an excellent lady who works out of her home here in Silicon Valley (with city permits), and does small-to-medium size assembly work. Her fine-pitch assembly soldering skills are first rate. Are you anywhere near Silicon Valley? If not (EDIT -- Oops, I checked your bio later and saw Ohio, so
Jdo300
Hello All,

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any sockets that will fit an LFCSP (CP-56) surface mount package?

I want to put an AD9959 chip onto a protoboard and am wondering if there are any solderless sockets for it available. So far the only one I found was for high end processor chips and it costed like $500.

Right now, my current alternatrive is this E-Z board made from SMARTBoard.com here:

http://www.schmartboard.com/index.asp?page=products_qfp&id=70

Thanks,
Jason O

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Another option might be to just make some simple adapter PCBs youself. That would be a first step towards laying out and making a little more complex boards as you learn more and want to grow your projects. This company is used by a co-worker of mine to make simple-to-moderate complexity PCBs:

http://www.expresspcb.com/

You download their PCB layout tool, and order the PCBs through them. Their prices are pretty reasonable, and the resulting assembly is much cleaner and more robust than even using the Surfboard adapter things. For example, you can put a good ground plane and decoupling caps on a 2-layer board, along with your chip.

Thanks for the links.

Will these companies actually place the chip on the board for you? I just got in the sample of the AD chip and the thing is waay to small for me to solder (I don't have great eye sight). If I could have the chip soldered onto a through-hole PCB for me, that would be the best solution.

- Jason O

Jdo300 said:
Thanks for the links.

Will these companies actually place the chip on the board for you? I just got in the sample of the AD chip and the thing is waay to small for me to solder (I don't have great eye sight). If I could have the chip soldered onto a through-hole PCB for me, that would be the best solution.

- Jason O

No, the links were just for resources to get you the blank PCBs. For the soldering part, you will need an assembly house to do that for you, but they won't generally take on small-size jobs like a couple of boards. There are folks like consultants who do small assembly jobs on the side. I know of an excellent lady who works out of her home here in Silicon Valley (with city permits), and does small-to-medium size assembly work. Her fine-pitch assembly soldering skills are first rate.

Are you anywhere near Silicon Valley? If not (EDIT -- Oops, I checked your bio later and saw Ohio, so the answer to that question would be no), I could maybe link you two up, where you could FedEx her the PCBs that you have done, and the parts, and she could solder them up for you and FedEx the assemblies back. It won't be real cheap, but it won't be expensive either. You can also maybe look in your local yellow pages for PCB assembly houses, and call a few to see if they have ideas on local places that can do just a few assemblies for you.

EDIT -- BTW, there are some basic pieces of equipment that are needed for fine-pitch SMT assembly work, and you might look into acquiring them as you do more work on your projects. You will need at least a medium-size microscope (preferably binocular for 3-D depth perception as you solder), and a good soldering iron like the Metcal RF irons. They are so much better than a magnetic Curie point soldering iron at keeping the tip temperature constant and hot. If you will be removing any SMT ICs, you will need a hot air gun with an attachment that matches the outline of the IC, and other simple stuff like solder wick braid strips. I also highly recommend an exhaust fan, or something else to pull the solder smoke away from you. We have several stations in our HW Lab with equipment like this, and I can do a fairly good job with SMT assembly and rework on my prototypes.

Last edited:
Another BTW, Jason. Does your EE department have an assembly/soldering station like I described, with a binocular microscope, Metal iron, hot air gun, tools, etc? If not, it sure seems like they should. Maybe ask around the department to find the best assembly/rework station that they have, and get permission to do some of your project work there. Honestly, the microscope and Metcal make a huge difference in what you can do.

HI Berkeman,

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Unfortunately, my school doesn't have anything close to that for doing SMT work, unless one of the research labs has one (which I don't know about). The local chapter of the student IEEE organization has a kit to etch PCBs but that's about all I know of. ANywho, I'm actually going to be out of town for the semester on Co-op so I won't have access to any of that equipment. With any luck, I *may* have access to such equipment for my projects at my workplace after hours.

I will definitely look into getting my own equipment for doing the SMT work, although It'll take me a while to save up for it all.

I would be VERY interested in having your friend do the solder work for me if possible. I just need to make two adapter boards for the AD9959 chips I ordered so I can plug them into a breadboard. Once I verify that I have the thing wired up, I'll have a nice PCB made. I only need two chips soldered (thats all I could get for free samples :smile:)

Thanks,
Jason O

Just send them to me, and I'll solder them up myself. I'll PM you my work address info. And I'd bet that your coop work experience place has an SMT rework station too.

Thanks a lot Berkeman :smile:

I'm going to look and see if there are any adapter chips I can buy and I'll have them sent to you along with the ICs.

Thank you,
Jason O

Hello All,

I finally got the AD chip soldered onto this SchmartBoard EZ adapter that I bought. I had a tech at my school help me solder it to the board (see attached photo below).

@berkeman,

I still may contact your friend about soldering these things for me. Once I get the prototype board working, I'm going to order some nice PCBs so I might need her help later :smile:

Thanks,
Jason O

Attachments

• AD9959 in Adapter (Small).JPG
    AD9959 in Adapter (Small).JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 448

Related to Through hole socket for Surface mount components

1. What is a through hole socket for surface mount components?

A through hole socket for surface mount components is a type of electronic socket that is used to mount surface mount components onto a printed circuit board. It has small holes that allow the leads of the component to pass through and connect to the circuit board.

2. How is a through hole socket different from a surface mount socket?

A through hole socket is designed to fit onto a printed circuit board and has pins or leads that can be soldered onto the board. A surface mount socket, on the other hand, is soldered directly onto the surface of the board. Through hole sockets are typically used for larger components, while surface mount sockets are used for smaller components.

3. What are the benefits of using through hole sockets for surface mount components?

Through hole sockets provide a more secure and durable connection for surface mount components. They also allow for easier replacement of components, as they can be easily removed and replaced if needed. Additionally, through hole sockets can provide better stability for larger components and can withstand higher temperatures during soldering.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using through hole sockets for surface mount components?

One potential disadvantage of using through hole sockets is that they take up more space on the circuit board than surface mount sockets. This can be an issue when designing compact electronic devices. Additionally, through hole sockets may require more manual labor for installation, as they need to be soldered onto the board.

5. How do I choose the right through hole socket for my surface mount components?

When choosing a through hole socket, you will need to consider factors such as the size and type of your surface mount components, the number of pins or leads on the socket, and the type of connection (e.g. press-fit or solder). It is important to select a socket that is compatible with your components and can be easily soldered onto your circuit board.