Throwing and dropping two balls: Find height where they meet

In summary, two balls are thrown vertically from a 100m tower. The first ball reaches a height of 15m/s and has a velocity of 15m/s. The second ball is released two seconds later and has a velocity of 0m/s. They reach each other at a height of 75m.
Tulpje

Homework Statement

You throw one ball vertically (V0= 15m/s) on top of a 100m tower. Two seconds later you release another ball from rest from the same tower.
Create a motion equation for both balls
At what moment do they pass each other?
At what height?

Homework Equations

s=vt+1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

First I thought I could figure out how long it took the first stone to come back down to the height of the top of the tower (where the other ball was released) and came up with about 3.06s via
V0/a or 15/9.8 then multiply by two. Because this would reach 0 one second after ball two, I then made s=s with t-1 for ball one and t for ball two.

I then came out to a formula: -4.9t^2=15t-15-4.9t^2+9.8t-4.9
After solving I got t=0.407 but if I insert this into the formulas (1/2*-9.8*t^2) and 15*(t-1)+1/2*-9.8*(t-1)^2 to find the distance that they have traveled it never works out.
I have tried this in many different ways, including starting from the beginning with t-2 for ball two and still I come up with numbers that don't work.

I think I am having trouble visualizing the time that the balls are actually in the air.
Am i wrong in first trying to figure out when the first ball reaches s=0 (top of tower?) Is there a way that I can do this including the entire journey of the first ball in the equation?
If I use t-1 what exactly does this mean? That the ball is in the air for one second less?

If anyone could help I would be very appreciative. I am self studying physics for an exam, and I have a lot of trouble understanding it, so I really need to see clear steps to follow. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you have a great start. Don't forget the height of the tower.
*edited to correct initial velocity*
Ball 1 has position ##s_1 = 100+15t - 4.9t^2##.
Ball 2 has position ##s_2 = 100-4.9(t-2)^2## for t >2.
Total distance traveled for ball 2 is d= 100-s, where s is where they meet. For ball 1 it is (max height-100)x2 + d.

Oh :/ I can't believe I forgot that! Is the equation then actually:
s=s0+v0t+1/2at2 ?

I got t=4.26s and they reach each other at about 75m.

Thank you!
Why does it not work if I do it the first way? If I determine how long it takes for ball one to be thrown up and come back down to the height of the tower and I use appropriate values for t or t-1 shouldn't it also work?

Tulpje said:
I then came out to a formula: -4.9t^2=15t-15-4.9t^2+9.8t-4.9
This doesn't look quite right. First, rounding 3.06 seconds to 3 might influence your solution depending on how many significant digits you want to keep. Second, if you are only looking at the downward part of the problem, your initial velocity of the first ball is pointing down.
You should have had ##-15(t-1) - 4.9(t-1)^2 = -4.9 t^2##.
Since you started with the wrong velocity direction, the solution you found was for t<1, or before your first ball returned to the top of the tower.

upload_2015-8-21_10-24-0.png

Graphically, here is what the two position functions should look like, along with an approximate reference point.

Attachments

• upload_2015-8-21_10-29-2.png
    upload_2015-8-21_10-29-2.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 501
Thank you! It makes sense now

Tulpje said:
Thank you! It makes sense now

What about considering the relative motion between the balls?

Likes RUber

What is the concept behind throwing and dropping two balls?

The concept behind throwing and dropping two balls is based on the laws of physics, specifically the laws of motion and gravity. When an object is thrown, it follows a parabolic path due to the force of gravity pulling it towards the ground. Similarly, when an object is dropped, it also follows a parabolic path due to the force of gravity acting on it.

How can we find the height at which the two balls meet?

To find the height at which the two balls meet, we need to use the equations of motion and the laws of gravity. By setting the equations for the vertical position of the two balls equal to each other, we can solve for the height at which they meet. This height is known as the point of intersection.

What factors can affect the height at which the two balls meet?

The height at which the two balls meet can be affected by various factors, such as the initial velocity and angle at which the balls are thrown, the mass and size of the balls, and the presence of air resistance. The location and elevation of the starting point and the surrounding environment can also have an impact on the height at which the two balls meet.

Can the height at which the two balls meet be calculated accurately?

Yes, the height at which the two balls meet can be calculated accurately using mathematical formulas and principles of physics. However, the accuracy of the calculation may be affected by various factors such as human error, wind resistance, and the assumption of ideal conditions. In real-life scenarios, there may be slight discrepancies between the calculated height and the actual height at which the two balls meet.

What are some real-life applications of this concept?

The concept of throwing and dropping two balls has many real-life applications, such as in sports like basketball, where players must aim and throw a ball into a hoop. It is also used in physics experiments to demonstrate the effects of gravity and motion. Engineers may also use this concept to design structures like bridges and buildings, where the trajectory of falling objects must be taken into account for safety purposes.