Thrust 6.05MN, mass 4,520,000 lbm, what is the acceleration?

In summary, using the formula F=ma and converting the given values, the acceleration of the spacecraft is 5,090.36 miles per hour squared. This can be found by converting the thrust of 6.05 mega-Newtons to Newtons and the mass of 4,520,000 pound-mass to kilograms, and then using the formula F=ma. To get the acceleration in miles per hour squared, the result in m/s2 must be converted to mi/h2.
dani546237
if the first stage provides a thrust of 6.05 mega-Newtons [MN] and the space shuttle has a mass of 4,520,000 pound-mass [lb Subscript m], what is the acceleration of the spacecraft in miles per hour squared [mi divided by h squared]?
Equation: F=ma
conversions:
1000m=0.621mi
3600s=1 hour
I'm aware of these conversions but I'm not sure what's the next step to at least approach this conversion
So I am using the formula F=ma
after converting I plugged it into F=ma equation

attempted at the problem:
I converted to 6.05x10^6N= 2049886.621kg x acceleration
I'm not sure how to find the acceleration since all I have in N and kg but I need mi/h^2

Physics news on Phys.org
If the force is in Newtons and the mass in kilograms, then F/m gives you the acceleration in m/s2. You will have to convert that to mi/h2.

1. What is the equation for calculating acceleration?

The equation for calculating acceleration is a = F/m, where a is acceleration, F is force, and m is mass.

2. How do you determine the force from thrust?

The force can be determined from thrust using the equation F = m x a, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

3. How do you convert pounds to pounds mass?

To convert pounds to pounds mass, divide the number of pounds by the gravitational constant, which is approximately 32.2 ft/s².

4. What is the unit for acceleration?

The unit for acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s²).

5. How does mass affect acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the greater the mass of an object, the more force is needed to accelerate it. Therefore, a higher mass will result in a lower acceleration, and vice versa.