Thrust Bearings and Smooth Journal Bearings reaction moment?

In summary, it says that bearings provide points of fixation, that stress calculations can be a little more difficult, and that at higher speeds shaft stability becomes a problem and more complicated analysis methods are needed.
AnotherParadox
Ok, so this is an undergraduate level question probably but consider this

R. C. Hibbeler's Textbook on Mechanics of Materials says this about thrust bearings and smooth journal Bearings :

ab4fe9f56f8a18eeda226a13343a3b76.png

In other words, it says nothing about reaction moments. Now this chart has other 2D connection types that include a counter or reaction moment such as a fixed support that has 3 unknowns in 2D (M, Fx, Fy) or 3 reaction forces. So it's safe to say already that Hibbeler does not consider journal and thrust bearings to have reaction moments.

But to double check that he's saying this I looked at the first problem set

02487ac280ada418cc8e66c180297260.png

Now you are probably wondering how to solve this while consider the reaction moments at A and B, but before you strain yourself on that idea just take a look at a solution manual and you'll see it doesn't consider them at all. It leads to answers of 233 N for the resultant internal loading at point C and 433 N*m for the bending moment.

A quick search and general intuition would tell you there are probably reaction moments at both A and B or on both thrust bearings and smooth journal bearings.

The rod a is long cylinder in-closed by a 'bracket' with a cylindrical hole in it. If you slide a cylinder in a cylindrical hole it's only going to turn about its axis. Turning perpendicular isn't going to work thus a counter moment. As shown below (results for searching thrust bearing reaction forces)

3+unknowns+6+unknowns..jpg

And again
7.+bearing+4+unknown+5+unknown+journal-bearing+support.jpg

In most results you see a reaction moment in the X and Z axis, yet this is and my own intuition is inconsistent with Hibbeler's textbook.

Are there different types of bearings that do or don't have reaction moments in the X and Z axes? Is Hibbeler wrong, is my intuition and these searches wrong? Is everyone wrong? Are they both right? Is this simple a common different 'flavor' of material?

What am I missing here? This shouldn't be so difficult, at least not unless I'm missing something major.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I think the bearings you mention (journal and thrust) aren't normally designed to tolerate significant moments. Moments would tend to twist the bearing out of it's housing. They should be eliminated by having multiple bearings along the shaft and reducing pulley overhangs etc. I'm speculating that might be why they weren't considered by Hibbeler?

Edited to add..

Reaction moments.png

Some of these bearings and bearing mountings are self aligning and would provide no resistance to a moment...

ggb-exalign-pb-pedestal-bearing-1_0.jpg

Last edited:
Likes AnotherParadox
Google found..

http://www.carterbearings.co.uk/new...-for-moment-loads-with-thin-section-bearings/
Normal radial single ball bearings aren’t designed for these moment loads so Carter Manufacturing Limited stocks a Silverthin™ product line specifically to satisfy these engineering constraints.

When engineers are choosing a bearing for their specific application, it is common to combine a series of bearings working together in order to handle the variety of loads within the system. Typically, bearing loads are thought of only in terms of radial or axial but with only a single bearing, any radial load applied at any distance from the center of the bearing ball path will create a moment load. Silverthin™ Thin-Section Bearings offer a bearing with a unique raceway geometry specifically to handle this moment load.

CWatters said:
Some of these bearings and bearing mountings are self aligning and would provide no resistance to a moment...

On first thought, this would only be true if it were the only bearing on the rod. If you put two bearing mountings that are self aligning on the same rod (such as on the example problem) then self aligning wouldn't be able to happen since the two mountings are fixed and pointing at each other by the rigid rod connecting them.

But then on second thought I suppose it wouldn't be providing resistance to the moment itself, rather channeling it from the other bearings in the series reaction force (in x or y) ...much like a fulcrum.. so no need for the reaction moment.

Correct me if wrong

Last edited:
Not sure I follow your first paragraph but the second seems correct.

Likes AnotherParadox
AnotherParadox said:
But then on second thought I suppose it wouldn't be providing resistance to the moment itself, rather channeling it from the other bearings in the series reaction force (in x or y) ...much like a fulcrum.. so no need for the reaction moment...

A shaft running at moderate speed and in a stable condition can usually be treated like a simple beam and load distribution , shear force , bending moment and deflection can all be worked out using standard analysis methods .

The bearings provide points of fixation . The type and degree of fixation depends on the bearing configuration .

Calculations for stress can be a little more difficult . We can discuss that problem later if you wish .

At higher speeds shaft stability becomes a problem and more complicated analysis methods are needed

1. What is the difference between thrust bearings and smooth journal bearings?

Thrust bearings are designed to support axial loads, while smooth journal bearings are designed to support radial loads. This means that thrust bearings are used to resist movement in a specific direction, while smooth journal bearings are used to support rotating or sliding shafts.

2. How do thrust bearings and smooth journal bearings react to moments?

Thrust bearings react to moments by exerting a force in the opposite direction to resist movement, while smooth journal bearings react to moments by allowing the shaft to rotate or slide in the direction of the moment.

3. What factors contribute to the design of thrust bearings and smooth journal bearings?

The design of both thrust bearings and smooth journal bearings is influenced by factors such as load magnitude, direction and type, shaft speed, lubrication, and operating temperature.

4. What are the common materials used in thrust bearings and smooth journal bearings?

Thrust bearings are commonly made from materials such as bronze, steel, or plastic, while smooth journal bearings are typically made from materials such as bronze, babbitt, or graphite.

5. What are the applications of thrust bearings and smooth journal bearings?

Thrust bearings are commonly used in applications such as automotive transmissions, aerospace systems, and industrial machinery, while smooth journal bearings are used in applications such as electric motors, pumps, and turbines.