Tidal Acceleration: What & Why + Formula

In summary, tidal acceleration or deceleration is the change in the speed of the Earth's rotation caused by the gravitational forces of the moon. This is due to the friction between the ocean and the land, which causes the Earth to push the tidal bulge ahead of the moon. The gravitational force between the tidal bulge and the moon then speeds up the moon and slows down the Earth, similar to the motion of a ball on a string. The formula for tidal acceleration is complex, but understanding the concept can be helpful in comprehending it.
Ankit Mehta
What is TIDAL ACCELERATION or TIDAL DECELERAION? Also, could some one please explain me it's forumlae?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for the link Mr. Simon. That was the first link which I visited when I started searching on the above topic. The reason why I posted this question here is that I found the wiki content too complex and if someone could explain it to me in a simpler way, that would be great.

In short..

The moon causes tidal bulges.
Friction between the ocean and the land causes the Earth to push the tidal bulge ahead of the moon.
Gravitational force between the tidal bulge and the moon causes the moon to speed up and the Earth to slow down.

It's a bit like swinging a ball around on a string. Your arm has to lead the ball. The tension in the string speeds up the ball and at the same time tries to slow down your arm.

Likes Ankit Mehta

1. What is tidal acceleration?

Tidal acceleration is the phenomenon where the gravitational pull of the moon and sun causes the Earth's oceans to bulge, creating high and low tides. This force also causes the Earth to rotate slightly slower, resulting in an increase in the length of a day over time.

2. Why does tidal acceleration occur?

Tidal acceleration occurs due to the gravitational force between the Earth and the moon and sun. The moon's gravitational pull is stronger on the side of the Earth facing the moon, while the gravitational force on the opposite side is weaker. This difference in force creates the bulge in the Earth's oceans and results in the Earth's rotation slowing down.

3. What is the formula for tidal acceleration?

The formula for tidal acceleration can be expressed as a = GM/R^3, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the moon or sun, and R is the distance between the Earth and the moon or sun.

4. How does tidal acceleration affect the Earth's rotation?

Tidal acceleration causes the Earth's rotation to slow down by about 2 milliseconds per century. This is because the Earth's rotation is slightly decelerated by the gravitational pull of the moon and sun, causing the length of a day to increase over time.

5. Are there any other effects of tidal acceleration?

In addition to slowing down the Earth's rotation, tidal acceleration also causes the moon to slowly move farther away from the Earth. This can also have an impact on the Earth's orbit and the distance between the Earth and the sun, although these effects are very small.