Tight binding model (covalent bonding)

In summary: One must differentiate the Hamiltonian H w.r.t \phi_1 and the Energy E w.r.t to \phi_1. One must differentiate the Hamiltonian H w.r.t \phi_1 and the Energy E w.r.t to \phi_1 and set them equal to each other which will lead to the eigenvalue equation.
amjad-sh

Homework Statement

(linear combination of atomic orbitals):
Lets consider two atoms which are bond together with a covalent bond. Let's consider any sets of wavefunctions [itex]|n\rangle[/itex] for n=1,2,...,N. Let's call orbital [itex]|1\rangle[/itex] around nucleus 1 and orbital [itex]|2\rangle[/itex] around nucleus 2 and so on.
for simplicity we assume this basis is orthonormal [itex]\langle n|m\rangle=\delta_{n,m}[/itex]
Let us write a trial wavefunction for our ground state as [itex]|\psi\rangle=\sum_n\phi_n|n\rangle[/itex].
This is known as linear combination of atomic orbitals, LCAO,or tight binding.

We would like to find the lowest -energy wavefunction we can construct in this form.i.e, the best approximation to the actual ground state wavefunction. ( The more states we use in our basis, generally, the more accurate our results will be).

We claim that the ground state is given by the solution of the effective Schroedinger equation [itex]H\phi=E\phi[/itex] where [itex]\phi[/itex] is the vector of N coefficients [itex]\phi_{n}[/itex] and [itex]H[/itex] is the N by N matrix [itex]H_{n,m}=\langle n|H|m \rangle[/itex] with H the full system we are considering.

we want to prove this by constructing the energy [itex]E=\frac{\langle\psi|H|\psi\rangle}
{\langle\psi|\psi\rangle}[/itex]

The question is : Show that minimizing this energy [itex]E[/itex] w.r.t to each [itex]\phi_{n}[/itex] gives the same eigenvalue equation above.(Caution:[itex]\phi_n[/itex] is generally complex! )

Homework Equations

//////////////

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
after expanding
[itex]E=\frac{\langle\psi|H|\phi\rangle}
{\langle\psi|\psi\rangle}[/itex]
I tried to minimize the energy [itex]E[/itex] w.r.t to [itex]\phi_{n}[/itex] by letting the derivative of it w.r.t to[itex]\phi_{n}[/itex] equals to zero, but this didn't lead me to the eigenvalue equation, if anybody can give me more hints? thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]E=\frac{\langle\psi|H|\psi\rangle}{\langle\psi|\psi\rangle}=[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\phi^*_1\phi_1\langle1|H|1\rangle+...+\phi^*_1\phi_n\langle1|H|1\rangle+\phi^*_2\phi_1\langle 2|H|1\rangle+...+\phi^*_2\phi_n\langle 2|H| n\rangle+...+\phi^*_n\phi_1\langle n|H|1\rangle+...+\phi^*_n\phi_n\langle n|H|n\rangle}{ \left| \phi_1 \right|^2+\left| \phi_2 \right|^2+...+\left| \phi_n \right|^2 }[/itex]

Let A=[itex]\left| \phi_1 \right|^2+\left| \phi_2 \right|^2+...+\left| \phi_n \right|^2[/itex]

Let's minimize E by differentiating it w.r.t to [itex]\phi_1[/itex]

[itex]dE=\frac{\partial E}{\partial \phi_1}d\phi_1+...+\frac{\partial E}{\partial \phi_n}d\phi_n[/itex]
then[itex]\frac{dE}{d\phi_1}=\frac{\partial E}{\partial \phi_1}\frac{d\phi_1}{d\phi_1}+...+\frac{\partial E}{\partial \phi_n}\frac{d\phi_n}{d\phi_1}[/itex]as all the [itex]\phi_i 's[/itex] are independent then [itex]\frac{dE}{d\phi_1}=\frac{\partial E}{\partial \phi_1}[/itex][itex]\frac{\partial E}{\partial \phi_1}=\frac{\phi_1^*A\langle1|H|1\rangle-\phi^*_1\phi_1\phi^*_1\langle1|H|1\rangle}{A^2}+\frac{\phi_2^*A\langle2|H|1\rangle-\phi^*_2\phi_1\phi^*_1\langle2|H|1\rangle}{A^2}+...+\frac{\phi_n^*A\langle n|H|1\rangle-\phi^*_n\phi_1\phi^*_1\langle n|H|1\rangle}{A^2}=0[/itex]

then[itex] A(\phi^*_1\langle 1|H|1\rangle+\phi^*_2\langle 2|H|1\rangle+...+\phi^*_n\langle n|H|1\rangle)-\left| \phi_1\right|^2(\phi^*_1\langle 1|H|1\rangle+\phi^*_2\langle2|H|1\rangle+...+\phi^*_n\langle n|H|1\rangle)=0[/itex]

this means that [itex]\phi^*_1\langle1|H|1\rangle+...+\phi^*_n\langle n|H|1\rangle=0[/itex]
lets complex conjugate we will get [itex]\phi_1\langle1|H|1\rangle+...+\phi_n\langle 1|H|n\rangle=0[/itex]

moving in this with every variable [itex]\phi_i[/itex] we will get [itex]H\phi=0[/itex] where H is the N by N Hamiltonian matrix in the |1> ,|2>,...|n> basis and [itex]\phi[/itex] is the column vector containg [itex]\phi_1,\phi_2,...\phi_n[/itex]

I reached this part and I don't know how to proceed.

We have ##|\psi\rangle = \sum_n \phi_n |n\rangle## and define ##H|n\rangle = E_n|n\rangle## which gives
$$\langle \psi| H | \psi \rangle = \langle m | \sum_m \phi_m^* \sum_n E_n \phi_n| n \rangle\\
= \sum_{m,n}\phi_m^*\phi_n E_n \langle m| n \rangle\\
= \sum_{m,n}\phi_m^*\phi_n E_n\delta_{m,n}\\
= \sum_n E_n |\phi_n|^2$$
The denominator gives
$$ \langle \psi | \psi \rangle = \sum_n |\phi_n|^2$$
I think from here on it is a bit easier.

IanBerkman said:
We have ##|\psi\rangle = \sum_n \phi_n |n\rangle## and define ##H|n\rangle = E_n|n\rangle## which gives
$$\langle \psi| H | \psi \rangle = \langle m | \sum_m \phi_m^* \sum_n E_n \phi_n| n \rangle\\
= \sum_{m,n}\phi_m^*\phi_n E_n \langle m| n \rangle\\
= \sum_{m,n}\phi_m^*\phi_n E_n\delta_{m,n}\\
= \sum_n E_n |\phi_n|^2$$
The denominator gives
$$ \langle \psi | \psi \rangle = \sum_n |\phi_n|^2$$
I think from here on it is a bit easier.
But I think this approach will not work since the orbitals|1>,|2>,...|n> are not the eigenstates of the Hamiltonian H which is the Hamiltonian of the electron when the two atoms are combined.

I found the solution. :)

Great :). Do you mind to give the solution? I find this problem also quite interesting.

Likes amjad-sh
IanBerkman said:
Great :). Do you mind to give the solution? I find this problem also quite interesting.
It is problem 6.2. My approach was right but I differentiated the Energy E w.r.t to phi1 wrongly.

Attachments

• soln3.pdf
    501.1 KB · Views: 327
Likes IanBerkman

1. What is the Tight Binding model?

The Tight Binding model is a theoretical framework used in solid state physics to describe the electronic structure of materials. It is based on the concept of covalent bonding, where electrons are shared between atoms to form strong bonds.

2. How does the Tight Binding model work?

In the Tight Binding model, the electronic structure of a material is described by a set of atomic orbitals that overlap and interact with each other. These interactions are quantified by a set of parameters, such as the on-site energy and the hopping energy, which determine the strength of the bonds between neighboring atoms.

3. What are the assumptions of the Tight Binding model?

The Tight Binding model makes several simplifying assumptions, including the neglect of electron-electron interactions, the assumption of a rigid lattice, and the use of a single particle approach. These assumptions make the model computationally tractable, but may not accurately capture all aspects of the electronic structure of a material.

4. What are the limitations of the Tight Binding model?

While the Tight Binding model can provide valuable insights into the electronic structure of materials, it has several limitations. It does not account for the effects of disorder, temperature, and external fields, and may not accurately describe materials with complex bonding or strong electron-electron interactions.

5. What are the applications of the Tight Binding model?

The Tight Binding model has been successfully applied to a wide range of materials, including semiconductors, metals, and insulators. It is commonly used to study the electronic properties of materials, such as band structures and density of states, and to predict the behavior of materials under different conditions, such as strain or doping.