Tight-to-Loose ratio method: QCD Background

In summary, the document from CMS discusses the calculation of background from QCD using a tight-to-loose ratio by the ABCD method. This involves four regions - A, B, C, and D - with regions C and D obtained by applying tight or loose isolation criteria on jets and a discriminant for the analysis variable p_T^{\tau}/E_T^{miss}. The tight-to-loose ratio is then used as a weight for the signal events at A to obtain the background at B. However, there are questions about how this method works and the physical meaning of the ratio. The ratio is also referred to as R_{TTL} and is calculated using different thresholds for p_T^{\tau}/E_T^{miss}.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
I was reading this document from CMS:
https://cds.cern.ch/record/2002036?ln=en
But I have some problems understanding how they calculated the bckg coming from the QCD.
My questions come from Sec.6 Background, so you can jump and have a quick glimpse over it (?).

They used the tight-to-loose ratio by the ABCD method. You have four regions A,B,C,D.
The QCD regions C,D are obtained with applying (tight) or not (loose) isolation criteria on your jets and probably some choice on your discriminant for the analysis variable [itex]p_T^{\tau}/E_T^{miss}[/itex] , I think it should be >1.5 to get the QCD enriched data.
By that it says you can determine the tight-to-loose ratio, which you use as a weight for your signal events at A the QCD template (?) to obtain your background (B).

a) However I don't understand how this method actually works to find the QCD background. What is making the tight-to-loose ratio useful as a weight? I also don't understand what is the QCD template signal.

b) Also why the ratio is called tight-to-loose while in the text they give it as [itex]R_{TTL}= N_C/N_D[/itex] (obviously loose-to-tight).

c) Finally, I don't understand what they are actually trying to say with:
The tight-to-loose ratio is calculated using different [itex]p_T^{\tau}/E_T^{miss}[/itex] thresholds of 1.5, 1.55 and 1.6, the upper threshold was varried from 3 to 4, 5 and 20
Any idea what they are trying to point out with those numbers? The only threshold for [itex]p_T/E_T^{miss}[/itex] I saw was that it should be larger than 1.5 for the C,D region (so they varied this number by 0.05 per time)... but there is no upper threshold written anywhere :/

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ChrisVer said:
What is making the tight-to-loose ratio useful as a weight?
The easiest assumption is to have the same tight/(non tight) ratio in th QCD region and the signal region. In this case, the event number at B is the event number at A multiplied by this ratio.
The two ratios won't be exactly the same, so you take the difference between the two ratios from MC, apply this as correction on your measured ratio in the QCD region and then apply the corrected ratio to A and B.

ChrisVer said:
b) Also why the ratio is called tight-to-loose while in the text they give it as [itex]R_{TTL}= N_C/N_D[/itex] (obviously loose-to-tight).
Oh, the joys of inconsistent naming. "Loose" itself should be called "loose but not tight".

(c) probably the upper limit of the ratio used for the ##p_T/E_T^{miss}## control regions.

Likes ChrisVer
Thanks for the answer @mfb
Does that ratio have any physical meaning? can someone extract any physical meaning from Fig 2-right?
I think small ratios would make the signal events less "important", and so they would contribute less to the background? So for example the [itex]2 h^\pm n \gamma ~~(n =0,1,2,...)[/itex] events which have very small tight-to-loose ratio, are subdominant in the "signal"?

The easiest assumption is to have the same tight/(non tight) ratio in th QCD region and the signal region. In this case, the event number at B is the event number at A multiplied by this ratio.
The two ratios won't be exactly the same, so you take the difference between the two ratios from MC, apply this as correction on your measured ratio in the QCD region and then apply the corrected ratio to A and B.

So you say that my explanation is the "easiest" assumption and not the "exact" one...?
Because I think I said that the ratio should be the same for both QCD and Signal regions (obtain it from QCD and apply it to the signal to reach B from A).

It is the ratio of isolated to non-isolated taus (or tau candidates). It depends on the isolation definition, so it does not have a direct physical interpretation.

ChrisVer said:
I think small ratios would make the signal events less "important", and so they would contribute less to the background?
Those ratios are for background only. A small D/C ratio would indicate that the isolation selection is very efficient in background rejection.

The overall contributions from the different background components are different, the ratio alone won't tell you where they are relevant.
ChrisVer said:
So you say that my explanation is the "easiest" assumption and not the "exact" one...?
Hmm, looks like they used the easier approach. This is justified if they don't see a difference between the ratios in MC.

Likes ChrisVer

1. What is the Tight-to-Loose ratio method for QCD background?

The Tight-to-Loose ratio method is a technique used in particle physics to estimate the contribution of Quantum Chromodynamics (QCD) background to a particular signal. It involves defining a set of tight and loose selection criteria for particles and then taking the ratio of the number of events passing the tight criteria to the number passing the loose criteria. This ratio is then used to scale the number of QCD background events in the signal region.

2. How does the Tight-to-Loose ratio method work?

The Tight-to-Loose ratio method works by leveraging the fact that QCD background events typically have a looser selection criteria than signal events. By comparing the ratio of tight to loose events, we can estimate the relative contribution of QCD background to the signal region. This method is particularly useful in cases where estimating the QCD background directly is challenging.

3. What are the limitations of the Tight-to-Loose ratio method?

One limitation of the Tight-to-Loose ratio method is that it assumes the QCD background events have a similar shape to the signal events in terms of the variables used for the tight and loose selection criteria. If this is not the case, the method may not accurately estimate the QCD background contribution. Additionally, this method may not work well in cases where the QCD background is significant and the signal region is contaminated with other backgrounds.

4. How is the Tight-to-Loose ratio method used in practice?

In practice, the Tight-to-Loose ratio method is often used in conjunction with other techniques for estimating QCD background. It is typically applied to control regions, where the signal is expected to be minimal, to determine the ratio of tight to loose events. This ratio is then applied to the signal region to estimate the number of QCD background events.

5. What are some examples of using the Tight-to-Loose ratio method in particle physics research?

The Tight-to-Loose ratio method has been used in a variety of particle physics research, including studies of the Higgs boson, top quarks, and supersymmetry. It has also been used in searches for new particles and in precision measurements of known particles. Additionally, this method has been applied in the analysis of data from the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN.