Tikhonov regularization

In summary, the least-squares solution of A x = b using Tikhonov regularization with a matrix \mu^2 I is given by x = \sum_i \left( \frac{\sigma_i^2}{\sigma_i^2 + \mu^2} \right) \left( \frac{u_i^T b}{\sigma_i} \right) v_i, where A = U S V^T is the SVD of A and u_i,v_i are the columns of U,V. However, for ill-conditioned matrices, the singular values \sigma_i could be very small, leading to potential underflow issues in the solution. To safely and efficiently compute the solution in IEEE double precision,
vibe3
The least-squares solution of [itex]A x = b[/itex] using Tikhonov regularization with a matrix [itex]\mu^2 I[/itex] has the solution:

[tex]
x = \sum_i \left( \frac{\sigma_i^2}{\sigma_i^2 + \mu^2} \right) \left( \frac{u_i^T b}{\sigma_i} \right) v_i
[/tex]

where [itex]A = U S V^T[/itex] is the SVD of [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]u_i,v_i[/itex] are the columns of [itex]U,V[/itex].

For ill-conditioned matrices, the singular values [itex]\sigma_i[/itex] could be tiny leading to problems in computing the quantity [itex]\left( \frac{\sigma_i^2}{\sigma_i^2 + \mu^2} \right)[/itex] since [itex]\sigma_i^2[/itex] could underflow.

Does anyone know how to compute this solution safely and efficiently in IEEE double precision?

Physics news on Phys.org
If ##\sigma_i^2 \ll \mu^2##, then the corresponding term of the sum is approximately
$$\frac{\sigma_i}{\mu^2} (u_i^T b) v_i$$

But in practice you are unlikely to have a problem, because the ratio of ##\sigma_\min / \sigma_\max## will be limited by the numerical precision of the matrix ##A##, and unless ##A## has some pathological properties ##\sigma_\min / \sigma_\max## is unlikely to be less than about ##10^{-16}##.

If all the SVs and ##\mu## are very small (e.g. less than ##10^{-100}##) so underflows are likely to affect everything, the best fix would be to rescale the original problem to make them of order 1.

1. What is Tikhonov regularization?

Tikhonov regularization, also known as ridge regression, is a mathematical technique used to solve ill-posed or unstable problems in data analysis. It involves adding a regularization term to the error function in order to control the complexity of the solution and prevent overfitting.

2. How does Tikhonov regularization work?

Tikhonov regularization works by adding a penalty term to the error function that penalizes large values of the model parameters. This encourages the solution to be smoother and more stable, reducing the effects of noisy or irrelevant data.

3. What are the benefits of using Tikhonov regularization?

Tikhonov regularization can help improve the generalization and predictive power of a model by reducing the impact of noise and outliers in the data. It can also provide more stable and interpretable solutions, making it a useful tool in many scientific fields.

4. When should Tikhonov regularization be used?

Tikhonov regularization is particularly useful when dealing with ill-posed problems, where the data is noisy or there are more variables than observations. It can also be used when there is a need to balance the trade-off between model complexity and generalization performance.

5. What are some common applications of Tikhonov regularization?

Tikhonov regularization has a wide range of applications in various fields such as signal processing, image reconstruction, and machine learning. It is commonly used in computer vision, medical imaging, and geophysical data analysis, among others.