Time above ground question involving ratio

In summary: If moving up and down together takes 1 second, how long does it take to go up?If moving up and down together takes 1 second, it would take 0.61 seconds to go up from the ground to ymax.
Bikengine
In the vertical jump, an athlete starts from a crouch and jumps upward to reach as high as possible. Even the best athletes spend little more than 1.00 s in the air (their "hang time"). Treat the athlete as a particle and let ymax be his maximum height above the floor.

To explain why he seems to hang in the air, calculate the ratio of the time he is above ymax/2 moving up to the time it takes him to go from the floor to that height. You may ignore air resistance.

v = u + at
s = ut + 1/2at^2

The wording of this question is really confusing me. So I need to calculate the ratio of the time he is above ymax/2 (t1) : the time it takes him to go from the floor to ymax/2 (t2)? So its just the ratio t1:t2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Right.
While it is not necessary, I think it is useful to calculate both t1 and t2, and calculate the ratio based on those two values.

mfb said:
Right.
While it is not necessary, I think it is useful to calculate both t1 and t2, and calculate the ratio based on those two values.

Ok I think I've calculated t1, but I don't think it is correct.. if you are doing a calculation for an object being thrown in the air, until it reaches the point where it is coming back down can you set v=0?

Bikengine said:
Ok I think I've calculated t1, but I don't think it is correct..
It would be interesting to see your work.
if you are doing a calculation for an object being thrown in the air, until it reaches the point where it is coming back down can you set v=0?
At both points, the object is moving...

If moving up and down together takes 1 second, how long does it take to go up?

mfb said:
It would be interesting to see your work.
At both points, the object is moving...

If moving up and down together takes 1 second, how long does it take to go up?

ok so here is what I have done:

s = vt - 1/2at^2 -- I have never used this formula before, found it off google

s = ymax
a= -9.81 m/s^2
t = 0.5 (because that is half the total time to go up and down and I am just finding the up)
v = 0

ymax = 9.81 x 1/2 x 0.5^2 = 1.23m, so ymax/2 = 0.61m

That is a good approach. Now you just need the time from the ground to 0.61m, or from 0.61m to 1.23m. Alternatively, use the symmetry and calculate the time from 1.23m to 0.61m.

1. What is the "time above ground" question involving ratio?

The "time above ground" question involving ratio is a mathematical concept that looks at the ratio of time spent above ground to time spent below ground. It is often used in ecological studies to understand the behavior and habitat preferences of animals.

2. How is the "time above ground" ratio calculated?

The "time above ground" ratio is calculated by dividing the total time spent above ground by the total time spent below ground. For example, if an animal spends 10 hours above ground and 5 hours below ground, the ratio would be 10:5, or 2:1.

3. Why is the "time above ground" question important in scientific research?

The "time above ground" question is important in scientific research because it can provide insights into the behavior and habitat preferences of animals. It can also help researchers understand the impact of environmental factors on animals.

4. How do scientists collect data for the "time above ground" ratio?

Scientists typically use tracking devices or cameras to collect data for the "time above ground" ratio. These devices can track an animal's movements and record the amount of time spent above and below ground.

5. What are some limitations of using the "time above ground" ratio in research?

One limitation of using the "time above ground" ratio is that it may not accurately reflect the animal's behavior or preferences. Other factors, such as food availability and predator avoidance, may also influence an animal's time spent above and below ground. Additionally, the use of tracking devices or cameras may also introduce bias into the data collected.