Time and Lorentz transformations

In summary, time and space have a deep and intimate connection in special relativity, and this is further expanded upon in general relativity where spacetime is described by a general Lorentzian manifold and gravity is linked to the curvature of spacetime caused by matter and energy. Lorentz transformations are a special case of coordinate transformations in Minkowski space and are not central to special relativity. In GR, the existence of special transformations depends on the spacetime being described. Ultimately, in physics, things are not proven but rather supported by evidence and observations.
trees and plants
Hello, why time is the fourth dimention and not another quantity or variable? General relativity has as a special case the special relativity, so Lorentz transformations are contained in general relativity but are they in a more general form than that of special relativity generally? If they are, what does that have as a consequence for the effects of gravity on matter or energy? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Using time and position to describe events long predates special relativity. The new insight in special relativity is that time and space are much more intimately connected than previously believed.

Lorentz transformations are a special case of general coordinate transformations on Minkowski space, i.e., the flat Lorentzian space that describes special relativity. In general relativity, spacetime is instead a general (possibly curved) Lorentzian manifold. Gravity is in essence described by the curvature of the spacetime and this is generated by the stress-energy tensor of the matter in the spacetime.

Likes vanhees71
So, why time transforms and not another quantity or variable? What are the connections of time and space in special relativity? Another question i have is: is curvature in general relativity described by the Ricci tensor, the Riemann curvature tensor or the Einstein tensor?

I think that in a vacuum the Ricci tensor is equal to 0 and this is where Einstein started generating his derivation of his field equations?

Lorentz transformations have their proof for their derivation? I think i read somewhere about this.

trees and plants said:
So, why time transforms and not another quantity or variable?
You have to define what kind of answer you are looking for or you can go forever down the rabbit hole of asking why not this? The ultimate answer is that it gives a good description of nature as far as we are aware and other variables do not. Spacetime is a thing already from Galilean relativity and is ultimately the result of wanting to describe where and when an event occurs.

trees and plants said:
Another question i have is: is curvature in general relativity described by the Ricci tensor, the Riemann curvature tensor or the Einstein tensor?
All of those are to some extent related to the curvature of the spacetime so the question is a bit semantical. If you know what GR says, you really do not need to ask this question. If you would just say "curvature" I would take it to refer to the curvature tensor itself, but the Ricci and Einstein tensors are of course both related to it and what appears in the Einstein field equations is the Einstein tensor. However, it should then mostly be seen a second order non-linear differential equation for the metric tensor, which in turn determines the curvature tensor and all related quantities.

Orodruin said:
You have to define what kind of answer you are looking for or you can go forever down the rabbit hole of asking why not this? The ultimate answer is that it gives a good description of nature as far as we are aware and other variables do not.
I think that sometimes to better understand something in math a proof that shows how something is derived is what is needed. You can see and answer if you want post #4.

trees and plants said:
I think that sometimes to better understand something in math a proof that shows how something is derived is what is needed. You can see and answer if you want post #4.
But GR is not math. It is physics. You do not "prove" things in physics, you define a model and make experimental observations that determine whether or not the model is an accurate description. Sure, you can derive the Lorentz transformations based on a number of postulates, but that in no way "proves" them. They are not even central to special relativity in my mind (what is central is the description of spacetime as a 4-dimensional flat Lorentzian manifold, i.e., Minkowski space). Lorentz transformations are to Minkowski space what rotations are to Euclidean space - just coordinate transformations between different orthonormal coordinate systems.

Likes vanhees71, Dale, Doc Al and 1 other person
Orodruin said:
But GR is not math. It is physics. You do not "prove" things in physics, you define a model and make experimental observations that determine whether or not the model is an accurate description.
My personal opinion:

Proofs is one of sciences main and fundamental element among others. Proofs give answers to questions or problems in sciences. With proofs understanding comes in sciences. This applies in physics too. If a person can not prove something like an axiom he accepts it as an axiom. How can someone understand a statement in physics without proof? He can learn it and accept it as proved if it has a proof, but can he else understand it?

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
trees and plants said:
My personal opinion:

Proofs is one of sciences main and fundamental element among others. Proofs give answers to questions or problems in sciences. With proofs understanding comes in sciences. This applies in physics too. If a person can not prove something like an axiom he accepts it as an axiom. How can someone understand a statement in physics without proof? He can learn it and accept it as proved if it has a proof, but can he else understand it?
But personal opinion does not matter here. It is not how science works. You simply cannot prove things in empirical science. You can collect evidence that either falsifies a theory or not. This is not the same as proving that it is ultimately a true theory. This is a fundamental cornerstone of empirical science.

Likes vanhees71
What about the other question i made about the Lorentz transformations and if they have a more general form in general relativity? Do they have?

trees and plants said:
What about the other question i made about the Lorentz transformations and if they have a more general form in general relativity? Do they have?
Again, Lorentz transformations are not central to special relativity. You can in principle make any coordinate transformations you want in either SR or GR, it is just that Lorentz transformations will be transformations between particular coordinate systems on Minkowski space. Whether special transformations exist in the GR case depends on the spacetime symmetries.

Likes vanhees71
trees and plants said:
why time is the fourth dimention and not another quantity or variable?
We have found that the quantity ##ds^2= -c^2 dt^2+ dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2## is invariant in physics. Due to this formula’s close analogy to the standard Euclidean invariant length formula (##ds^2=dx^2+dy^2+dz^2##) we call time the 4th dimension. No other quantity or variable satisfies this or a similar relationship with the 3 dimensions of space.

Likes vanhees71
Dale said:
We have found that the quantity ##ds^2= -c^2 dt^2+ dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2## is invariant in physics. Due to this formula’s close analogy to the standard Euclidean invariant length formula (##ds^2=dx^2+dy^2+dz^2##) we call time the 4th dimension. No other quantity or variable satisfies this or a similar relationship with the 3 dimensions of space.
So, so far only time and space coordinates satisfy this or a similar relationship in physics. Thank you.

Dale said:
Somewhere i read about the line element. Does this formula work like the norm squared? Perhaps they derived this formula from other results?

trees and plants said:
Somewhere i read about the line element. Does this formula work like the norm squared? Perhaps they derived this formula from other results?
I can’t help with “somewhere I read”. Can you cite the source?

Likes Vanadium 50
trees and plants said:
Hello, why time is the fourth dimention and not another quantity or variable?
The short answer:
It all started with the speed of light and speed is distance divided by time. So there it is. Why should another variable be considered?

trees and plants said:
These are some links https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_tensor_(general_relativity) , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_element but i read it if i remember correctly from a pdf about general relativity, i think they were lecture notes.
The first reference says “the metric determines the invariant square of an infinitesimal line element, often referred to as an interval.” And later in that article it used the formula I posted earlier. Did you have any questions about the article? I didn’t see any references to norms.

trees and plants said:
This would be a good time for you to back up some and learn the minimum amount of differential geometry needed to take on General Relativity. Every serious textbook (including Sean Carroll, free online at https://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9712019) will cover this material early on, and will rederive SR as a special case of GR.

Likes vanhees71 and fresh_42
Dale said:
The first reference says “the metric determines the invariant square of an infinitesimal line element, often referred to as an interval.” And later in that article it used the formula I posted earlier. Did you have any questions about the article? I didn’t see any references to norms.
I meant it is like the Euclidean norm.

trees and plants said:
I meant it is like the Euclidean norm.
It is indeed very much like it in some ways and substantially different in others. The biggest difference is that it is not positive definite. For physics that is useful because it indicates if an interval is measured by clocks or by rulers.

Likes vanhees71
FactChecker said:
The short answer:
It all started with the speed of light and speed is distance divided by time. So there it is. Why should another variable be considered?
This is related to the phenomena near the speed of light? What do you mean? I am sorry because i do not know or i do not understand.

• Sad
Likes weirdoguy
trees and plants said:
This is related to the phenomena near the speed of light? What do you mean? I am sorry because i do not know or i do not understand.
I am referring to SR. Under a few natural and desirable assumptions, there are only two mathematical possibilities.
A paper by Polash Pal, "Nothing but Relativity" shows that the assumption of relativity will only allow Galilean relativity (all inertial frames share a universal time) or Einseteinian relativity (constant speed of light in a vacuum).
(See https://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0302045 )

Likes Dale, vanhees71 and fresh_42

1. What is the concept of time in physics?

The concept of time in physics is a fundamental quantity that is used to measure the duration of events. It is often described as the fourth dimension in the universe and is closely related to the concept of space. In physics, time is considered to be relative and can vary depending on the observer's frame of reference.

2. What are Lorentz transformations?

Lorentz transformations are mathematical equations that describe how time and space coordinates change between two frames of reference that are moving relative to each other at constant velocity. They were developed by Dutch physicist Hendrik Lorentz and are an essential part of the theory of special relativity.

3. How do Lorentz transformations affect the perception of time?

Lorentz transformations show that time is not absolute and can vary depending on the observer's frame of reference. This means that two observers moving at different velocities will measure different durations for the same event. This effect is known as time dilation and is a fundamental concept in the theory of relativity.

4. Can time travel be achieved through Lorentz transformations?

According to the theory of relativity, time travel is possible, but it is limited to traveling into the future. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, time dilation becomes more significant, and time slows down for that object. However, traveling back in time is currently considered impossible, as it would require exceeding the speed of light, which is not allowed by the laws of physics.

5. How are Lorentz transformations used in practical applications?

Lorentz transformations are used in many practical applications, including GPS technology, particle accelerators, and nuclear reactors. They are also essential in understanding the behavior of particles at high speeds and in developing theories for the structure of the universe. Additionally, they are used in the calculations for space missions and satellite communications.