Time Derivatives of Expectation Value of X^2 in a Harmonic Oscillator

In summary, the conversation discusses how to manipulate the equation ##\frac{d^2}{dt^2} \langle \psi (t) \vert X^2 \vert \psi (t) \rangle = \frac{i}{m \hbar} \langle \psi (t) \vert [H, PX+XP] \vert \psi (t) \rangle## to match the right side of the equation. By expanding the commutator and using the definition of the Hamiltonian for a harmonic oscillator, it is possible to show that the two sides are equivalent. There is no need to use the time-independent Schrödinger equation to pass from ##P^2## to ##H##, as
isochore
Homework Statement
Prove that ##\frac{d^2}{dt^2} \langle \psi (t) \vert X^2 \vert \psi (t) \rangle = 4 \omega^2 \langle \psi (t) \vert X^2 \vert \psi (t) \rangle + \frac{1}{m}\langle \psi (t) \vert H \vert \psi (t) \rangle## for the simple harmonic oscillator.
Relevant Equations
##\frac{i}{\hbar}[H, X] = \frac{1}{m} P##
##\frac{i}{\hbar}[H, P] = -m\omega^2X##
##\frac{d}{dt} \langle \psi (t) \vert A \vert \psi (t) \rangle = \frac{i}{\hbar} \langle \psi (t) \vert [H,A] \vert \psi (t) \rangle## if A is time-independent.
I can show that ##\frac{d}{dt} \langle \psi (t) \vert X^2 \vert \psi (t) \rangle = \frac{1}{m} \langle \psi (t) \vert PX+XP \vert \psi (t) \rangle##.

Taking another derivative with respect to time of this, I get ##\frac{d^2}{dt^2} \langle \psi (t) \vert X^2 \vert \psi (t) \rangle = \frac{i}{m \hbar} \langle \psi (t) \vert [H, PX+XP] \vert \psi (t) \rangle##.

However, I'm not sure how to manipulate this into something that matches the right side of the equation.
I can expand the commutator in the middle to get
##[H, PX + XP] = [H, PX] + [H, XP] = [H, P]X + P[H, X] + [H, X]P + X[H,P]##

I can then substitute in the commutator values known from above (ignoring the factor of ##\frac{i}{\hbar}## momentarily):
##[H, PX + XP] = (-m\omega^2 X)X + P(\frac{1}{m}P) + (\frac{1}{m}P)P + X(-m\omega^2 X) = -2m\omega^2 X^2 + \frac{2}{m}P^2##

I see a way to get from ##P^2## to ##H## using the time-independent Schrödinger equation, but I took derivatives with respect to time to arrive at this equation. Is there another path besides using the time-independent Schrödinger equation, or is it okay to use the time-independent form here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't use time independent Schrodinger equation to pass from ##P^2## to ##H##, but you use the definition of your Hamiltonian(I assume this is possibly what you meant, but saying it just in case). Hamiltonian for harmonic oscillator is, as you know:
$$H = \frac{P^2}{2m} + \frac{m\omega^2X^2}{2}$$

Edit: Also, you seem to have done this correctly so far, but I don't see the final formula appearing in that form, although it would be similar. So I'm not sure whether there's a mistake in the text of the exercise, as your formulas look all good(or maybe I missed a mistake of yours somehow).

Last edited:
Thanks!
I was trying something complicated with the Schrödinger equation because I thought I would get something similar but not quite the final formula if I just used the straight Hamiltonian.
Turns out all you need is a few messy algebraic substitutions to get the two sides equivalent :)

What is the expectation value of X^2 in a harmonic oscillator?

The expectation value of X^2 in a harmonic oscillator can be calculated using the Schrödinger equation, and is equal to the average value of X^2 over many measurements.

What is a time derivative?

A time derivative is a mathematical operation that calculates the rate of change of a quantity with respect to time. In the context of a harmonic oscillator, it represents how the expectation value of X^2 changes over time.

How is the time derivative of the expectation value of X^2 in a harmonic oscillator calculated?

The time derivative of the expectation value of X^2 in a harmonic oscillator is calculated using the Heisenberg equation, which relates the time derivative of an operator to the commutator with the Hamiltonian operator.

What does the time derivative of the expectation value of X^2 in a harmonic oscillator tell us?

The time derivative of the expectation value of X^2 in a harmonic oscillator provides information about the dynamics of the system. It can show how the average position of the oscillator changes over time, and can also reveal information about the energy of the system.

How does the time derivative of the expectation value of X^2 in a harmonic oscillator relate to the uncertainty principle?

The time derivative of the expectation value of X^2 in a harmonic oscillator is related to the uncertainty principle through the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that there is a fundamental limit to the precision with which certain pairs of physical properties of a particle, such as position and momentum, can be known at the same time. In the case of a harmonic oscillator, the uncertainty in position and momentum can be described by the expectation value of X^2 and its time derivative, respectively.