Time dilation analogy. Please tell me if this is accurate.

In summary: This led to the conclusion that the speed of light is an absolute constant and not dependent on the motion of the observer.
tybomb
I'm trying to wrap my head around how C could be constant and time can change depending on perspective. I wasn't getting anywhere until I starting thinking of light as water and then I started feeling like I understood it a little better but tell me if this is accurate at all.

If running water represents light then suppose the universe is like a lake. The lake is full of varying currents running this way and that. There are rocks in some areas causing the water to move faster and areas where the banks narrow causing the water to speed up. Some inlets where the water swirls in and then seems to stagnate. Big open bodies where the water flows at the same speed for long stretches and some whirlpools swirling around. Then there are other forces like wind and undercurrents etc.
We're like fish. While swimming around we encounter differen't currents but we adapt. If we're swimming along in a stagnant pool and then find ourselves suddenly in a swirling current beside a boulder we have to exert more energy to keep up the same speed. So our heart beats faster and metabolism speeds up along with our brain activity but this actually makes it seem as though the same amount of time is going by since our biological functions have sped up. The water is going twice as fast but our body and mind have sped up to meet the challenge. By our perspective the same amount of time has passed. Once we get out of the fast moving water everything slows down in perfect symetry to meet the new speed speed of the current. If I'm swimming in slow moving water there could be a fish beside me caught in a faster current but he's moving faster and seems to be swimming alongside me.

Does that make any sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. The best analogy to water with regard to light is an absolutely still and very large body of water. The waves on the surface all travel at the same speed. If you drop a pebble in the water, you will see a concentric circle of waves propagating outward from the point of impact. This is a two-dimensional analogy to how light propagates in any Frame of Reference according to Einstein's convention. The only thing you have to remember is that if you put yourself in the analogy, you can't observe the waves with light--you have to bounce the waves off of an object and wait until some of them return to you to have any awareness of the propagation of the waves.

ghwellsjr said:
No. The best analogy to water with regard to light is an absolutely still and very large body of water. The waves on the surface all travel at the same speed. If you drop a pebble in the water, you will see a concentric circle of waves propagating outward from the point of impact. This is a two-dimensional analogy to how light propagates in any Frame of Reference according to Einstein's convention. The only thing you have to remember is that if you put yourself in the analogy, you can't observe the waves with light--you have to bounce the waves off of an object and wait until some of them return to you to have any awareness of the propagation of the waves.
Yes, that's why sound is a better analogy than water, because we don't usually directly measure the effects of air (except in the case of wind). Before the Michelson-Morley experiment, many people believed that light waves behaved just like sound waves, meaning their speed was independent of the motion of the source but dependent on the motion of the medium. (Although before Maxwell there was a lot of belief in emitter theories in which light depended on the motion of the source as well.) But then the Michelson-Morley experiment revealed that unlike sound, the speed of light was the same in all inertial reference frames.

1. What is time dilation analogy?

Time dilation analogy is a concept in physics that explains the phenomenon of time appearing to pass at different rates for objects in different frames of reference. It compares this effect to the experience of time slowing down or speeding up in everyday situations, such as when traveling on a fast-moving vehicle or near a massive object.

2. How does time dilation analogy relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Time dilation analogy is based on the principles of special relativity, which was first proposed by Albert Einstein. According to this theory, the perception of time is relative to the observer's frame of reference and can be affected by factors such as velocity and gravity. Time dilation analogy helps us understand how these factors can impact the rate at which time appears to pass.

3. Can you give an example of time dilation analogy?

One common example of time dilation analogy is the "twin paradox." In this scenario, one twin stays on Earth while the other travels in a high-speed spacecraft. When the traveling twin returns, they will have aged less than their twin who stayed on Earth, due to the effects of time dilation caused by their different frames of reference.

4. Is time dilation analogy only applicable to extreme situations, like space travel?

No, time dilation analogy can be observed in everyday situations as well. For example, a clock on a plane will appear to run slightly slower than a clock on the ground due to the plane's high velocity. Similarly, a clock placed at the bottom of a tall building will run slightly slower than a clock placed at the top due to the difference in gravitational force.

5. Does time dilation analogy have any practical applications?

Yes, time dilation is a well-established phenomenon that has been verified through experiments and is crucial for modern technologies such as GPS. Without taking into account the effects of time dilation, the GPS system would not be able to accurately pinpoint locations on Earth. Time dilation also has implications for space travel and further understanding of the universe.