Time Dilation & Effects of Gravity: Exploring the Possibilities

In summary: Basically what happens is that anything inside the box would stop moving (relative to the universe outside) as the box creates a space where there is no influence of either gravity or space expansion. This is theoretical as nothing can exist in a vacuum.
Neuro51
[don't know whether i is the correct thread prefix, will change if requested/possible]

Now I will start off by saying I'm only an interested lay person, and haven't studied this but was thinking about time dilation and it's correlative effects with gravity. Higher gravity, time slows down accordingly relative to the person/thing experiencing it.
but
is the opposite true? If you could create a space within the universe (I am aware it's physically impossible to do so), would there be no passage of time, or would there just cease to be something you could measure time against?

I kind of thought of it as a box that no gravity (or expansion of space) could enter. if you could put an object inside it..like a deteriorating radioactive substance, close the box, remove gravity or space expansion from taking place within it.

would time for the object inside stop, or if the presence of increasingly heavy gravity slows time, would its absence speed it up? (compared to the universe outside)

I just want you guys to tear this s**t apart, tell me why it's faulty so I can learn something from it.

(I saw this thread; https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-happens-to-time-when-gravity-is-absent.211460/ which was in a similar vein but couldn't find anything conclusive in it to help myself understand this better, also didn't want to bump a long dead one)

Physics news on Phys.org
Neuro51 said:
[don't know whether i is the correct thread prefix, will change if requested/possible]

Now I will start off by saying I'm only an interested lay person, and haven't studied this but was thinking about time dilation and it's correlative effects with gravity. Higher gravity, time slows down accordingly relative to the person/thing experiencing it.
but
is the opposite true? If you could create a space within the universe (I am aware it's physically impossible to do so), would there be no passage of time, or would there just cease to be something you could measure time against?

I kind of thought of it as a box that no gravity (or expansion of space) could enter. if you could put an object inside it..like a deteriorating radioactive substance, close the box, remove gravity or space expansion from taking place within it.

would time for the object inside stop, or if the presence of increasingly heavy gravity slows time, would its absence speed it up? (compared to the universe outside)

I just want you guys to tear this s**t apart, tell me why it's faulty so I can learn something from it.

(I saw this thread; https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-happens-to-time-when-gravity-is-absent.211460/ which was in a similar vein but couldn't find anything conclusive in it to help myself understand this better, also didn't want to bump a long dead one)
Firstly, thumbs up for your thinking its quite an different perspective to view the two subjects. But you (as you yourself stated that you haven't taken proper study of the subject) missed out few points. GRAVITY only slows down time from its normal pace, like it slows down light speed in its influence, so absence of gravity will only bring time to its normal pace not accelerate it further.

You are asking an unphysical question. Essentially you are asking us to tell you what happens when physics do not apply. We cannot answer this because how would you answer something from a model when the one asking the question has already told you the model no longer applies, you already know this as you state it in the OP.

Orodruin said:
Essentially you are asking us to tell you what happens when physics do not apply..
oh lord you're right, this is very embarrassing.

Last edited:

What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for an object in motion compared to a stationary observer. This is due to the effects of special relativity, which states that the speed of light is constant and time can be affected by the velocity of an object.

How does gravity affect time?

According to general relativity, gravity is not just a force between objects, but also a curvature of space and time. This means that the closer an object is to a massive body, the slower time will pass for that object. This is known as gravitational time dilation.

What is the difference between time dilation and time travel?

Time dilation is a real, scientifically-proven phenomenon that occurs due to the effects of special relativity and gravity. Time travel, on the other hand, is a hypothetical concept that has not been proven to be possible. Time dilation can result in small differences in time for objects in motion, but it does not allow for traveling to the past or future.

How can time dilation be measured?

Time dilation has been observed and measured through experiments with atomic clocks on airplanes and satellites. These clocks, which are highly accurate, have been shown to tick at slightly different rates depending on their velocity and distance from Earth's gravity.

What are some potential implications of time dilation and gravity on space travel?

Time dilation and the effects of gravity are important factors to consider for long-distance space travel. As objects travel at high speeds or near massive bodies, time will pass differently for them compared to Earth, which can have consequences for communication, navigation, and even aging. Understanding these concepts is crucial for future space missions and exploration.