Time Dilation for Moving Rectangle with Clocks at its Corner

In summary, a rectangular structure with synchronized clocks at its corners is moving in the positive x direction at 0.8c. A laser beam fired at the lower left corner freezes the clock display at zero nanoseconds and then disables the upper right clock. Using the Lorentz transformations, the time in the lab frame can be found to be the hypotenuse of a triangle with length 2.4ft and height 3ft. The time reading on the upper right clock after it is disabled can be deduced by calculating the time it would take for the light to travel between the two corner clocks in the frame that is moving with the four corner clocks.
GL_Black_Hole

Homework Statement

A rectangular structure carries clocks at its four corners. The clocks are synchronized in the structure’s rest frame, in which it has length L =4ft and width W = 3ft. In our laboratory frame the rectangle is moving in the positive x direction at speed v = 0.8c. As the clock at the lower left corner of the rectangle flies past a laboratory laser, the laser fires once, freezing the clock display at zero nanoseconds. The same laser pulse then strikes the rectangle’s upper right clock, disabling that clock too. Determine the reading on the upper right clock after it is disabled.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In the rectangle's rest frame (taken to be coincident with the lab frame at t=0) the laser beam travels along its diagonal with a length of 5 ft. But from the lab frame the length of the rectangle is Lorentz contracted from 4 ft to 2.4 ft. In the time it takes the light to reach the upper right corner, call it ##t## ,the rectangle will have moved ##0.8ct## so the overall distance the light has to travel is the hypoteneuse of a triangle with length ##2.4 +0.8ct## (this is the part I am unsure of) and height 3 ft. The speed of light is the same in all reference frames so ##c = 5/\tau = d'/t## from which ##t## can be found.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello. Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't the question just asking for the time that you have labeled ##\tau##?

Possibly. It doesn't directly mention a reference frame. But even so am I correct in how I'm finding the time in the lab frame? Or is there a way to use the Lorentz transformations more directly?

GL_Black_Hole said:
Possibly. It doesn't directly mention a reference frame.
In the frame that is moving with the four corner clocks, the clocks are synchronized and run at "normal" rates. So, using this frame, it is easy to deduce the time reading of the upper right clock when it gets zapped by the laser.

But even so am I correct in how I'm finding the time in the lab frame?
Yes

Or is there a way to use the Lorentz transformations more directly?
Yes. But either method gets the answer for the lab time ##t## pretty quickly.

EDIT: By “time in the lab frame” I assume you mean the time it takes for the light to travel between the two corner clocks according to the lab frame. This would not be the reading of the upper right clock when it is hit by the light pulse.

Last edited:
Yes that is what I meant by time in the lab frame. Thank you for reinforcing the distinction between the time the clock shows and the time in the lab frame for me.

1. What is time dilation for a moving rectangle with clocks at its corners?

Time dilation for a moving rectangle with clocks at its corners refers to the phenomenon in which the passage of time is perceived differently for an observer on the moving rectangle compared to an observer on a stationary object. This is due to the effects of special relativity, where time is relative and can be affected by the speed and motion of an object.

2. How does time dilation occur in this scenario?

Time dilation occurs because as the rectangle moves at high speeds, the distance between the clocks at its corners increases. This means that the light signals, which are used to measure time, have to travel a longer distance to reach the observer on the moving rectangle compared to the observer on the stationary object. This results in a difference in the perceived passage of time between the two observers.

3. Does time dilation only occur with moving rectangles or can it happen with other objects?

Time dilation can occur with any moving object, not just rectangles. It is a fundamental concept in special relativity and applies to all objects in motion. However, the effects of time dilation are only noticeable when the object is moving at speeds close to the speed of light.

4. How does time dilation affect the measurement of time on Earth?

The effects of time dilation are very small and are only noticeable at extremely high speeds. Therefore, on Earth, where objects are not moving at speeds close to the speed of light, the effects of time dilation are negligible and do not significantly affect the measurement of time.

5. Can time dilation be reversed or reversed by changing the direction of motion?

No, time dilation cannot be reversed or undone by changing the direction of motion. It is a fundamental aspect of special relativity and is always present when an object is in motion. The only way to avoid time dilation is to be at rest, where the effects of special relativity do not apply.