Time Dilation - measured vs observed time interval

In summary, the time difference between when Bob sees Alice's clock passing A and when he sees it passing B is less than the time it takes for light to travel from point A to point B.
astrocytosis

Homework Statement

Consider an observer Bob in S standing close beside the x-axis as Alice, who is holding a clock,

approaches him at speed VS'S along the axis. As Alice and her clock move from position A to

B, Alice’s clock will measure a (proper) time interval ∆t0, but as

measured by Bob’s “latticework of clocks”, the time between the two events (Alice and her clock

pass point A, Alice and her clock pass point B) is ∆t = γ ∆t0. However, since B is closer to Bob

than A is, light from Alice’s clock as it passes B will reach Bob in a shorter time than will the

light from A. Therefore, the time ∆tsee between when Bob sees Alice’s clock passing A and when he sees it passing B is less than ∆t.

Prove that:

∆tsee = ∆t(1 − β) = ∆t0 [(1 − β)/(1 + β)]1/2

(which is clearly less than ∆t0.) Be sure to prove both equalities.

Homework Equations

∆t = γ ∆t0

β = v/c

Velocity of Alice: βc

The Attempt at a Solution

If we start at t = 0, then Bob sees Alice pass A at A/βc, where A is the distance between point A and Bob, because that is how long the light takes to reach him.

Then Alice reaches point B at ∆t = γ ∆t0 = 1/2∆t0/[1-β], but the light takes another B/βc to reach Bob.

So the total time between Alice passing A and Bob seeing Alice pass B is ∆t0/[1-β]1/2 + B/βc. But since Bob observes Alice passing A at A/βc, the time difference between Bob observing Alice passing A and Bob observing Alice passing B is

∆t0/[1-β]1/2 + (B-A)/βc

A>B so if A-B = ∆x,

∆tsee = ∆t0/[1-β]1/2 - ∆x/βc

This is as far as I was able to get. I'm not sure how to relate this equation to the equalities I'm supposed to prove. Am I approaching this wrong and/or have I made an incorrect assumption in my reasoning?

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: imagine a light signal leaving A at time ##t_1## and a light signal leaving B at time ##t_2##. When do these signals reach the origin?

astrocytosis said:
If we start at t = 0, then Bob sees Alice pass A at A/βc,
Why did you divide by βc here?

Then Alice reaches point B at ∆t = γ ∆t0 = 1/2∆t0/[1-β],
Did you use the correct expression for γ?

So the total time between Alice passing A and Bob seeing Alice pass B is ∆t0/[1-β]1/2 + B/βc.
Again, why βc?

A>B so if A-B = ∆x
Can you express ∆x in terms of ∆t0 and βc = VS'S?

Overall, I think your approach will get you the answer if you address the above questions.

TSny said:
Why did you divide by βc here?

A/βc is the time it takes for the light to reach Bob from point A (x=vt -> t = x/v). I'm using γ = [1-β2]-1/2 but made some typos.

∆tsee = ∆t0/[1-β2]1/2 - ∆x/βc

I can use a Lorentz transformation get ∆x: ∆x = γ[∆x' + VS'S∆t]. I think ∆x' is zero because Alice is measuring a proper time interval, so, plugging in for ∆x with βc = VS'S:

∆tsee = ∆t0/[1-β2]1/2 - ∆t/[1-β2]1/2

Which still doesn't seem quite right.

astrocytosis said:
A/βc is the time it takes for the light to reach Bob from point A ...

This is light that's not traveling at ##c##, then?

astrocytosis said:
A/βc is the time it takes for the light to reach Bob from point A
Does βc represent the speed of light or the speed that Alice moves relative to Bob?
∆tsee = ∆t0/[1-β2]1/2 - ∆x/βc
This would be OK if you fix the βc part.

You should be able to get an expression for ∆x by thinking about the time it takes Alice to travel the distance ∆x according to Bob.

PeroK said:
This is light that's not traveling at ##c##, then?

Oops... got caught up thinking about Alice's velocity and forgot that has nothing to do with how fast the light will reach Bob.

∆tsee = ∆t0/[1-β2]1/2 - ∆x/c

∆x = VS'S∆t = βc∆t according to Bob

∆tsee = ∆t0/[1-β2]1/2 - β∆t, which is just ∆t = (1-β)∆t.

I was able to get the other equality easily from there. Thank you!

Likes PeroK

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which the passage of time is observed to be slower for an object in motion compared to a stationary object.

2. How is time dilation measured?

Time dilation can be measured by observing the difference in time intervals between two clocks, one in motion and one stationary. The clock in motion will have a slower observed time interval compared to the stationary clock.

3. What causes time dilation?

Time dilation is caused by the theory of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that an object in motion experiences a slower passage of time due to its velocity.

4. How does time dilation affect space travel?

Time dilation can have a significant impact on space travel, as astronauts traveling at high speeds or near massive objects such as black holes will experience a slower passage of time. This can cause a discrepancy between the time experienced by the astronauts and the time on Earth.

5. Is time dilation a proven phenomenon?

Yes, time dilation has been proven through various experiments and observations, including the famous Hafele-Keating experiment in which atomic clocks were flown in opposite directions around the world and showed a difference in time intervals upon their return. It is also supported by the theory of relativity, which has been extensively tested and confirmed by numerous experiments.