Time Dilation & Relativity: Explained for Beginners

In summary, the clock on the satellite runs slower than the clock on the Earth. This is due to the fact that the satellite is moving in a circular orbit and is affected by gravitational time dilation.
Mattv
Good morning

I'm a total beginner in physics, but I recently started to read books and watch videos about cool physics stuff, like relativity.

I heard that the closer to the speed of light you travel, the "slower" time passes for you. I'm talking about the fact that clocks in GPS satellites are late after some time.

So I don't really understand why, but I can assume that "time goes slower when you move faster". But I learned at school that speed is relative, and a spaceship moving at X speed is the same as the ship being immobile and the Earth (and the rest) going at X speed in the opposite direction.

In that case, why is the satellite clock late compared to the Earth ? And why isn't the Earth clocks late compared to the satellite ?

Thanks guys !

Physics news on Phys.org
Mattv said:
Good morning

I'm a total beginner in physics, but I recently started to read books and watch videos about cool physics stuff, like relativity.

I heard that the closer to the speed of light you travel, the "slower" time passes for you. I'm talking about the fact that clocks in GPS satellites are late after some time.

So I don't really understand why, but I can assume that "time goes slower when you move faster". But I learned at school that speed is relative, and a spaceship moving at X speed is the same as the ship being immobile and the Earth (and the rest) going at X speed in the opposite direction.

In that case, why is the satellite clock late compared to the Earth ? And why isn't the Earth clocks late compared to the satellite ?

Thanks guys !

"Time goes slower when you move faster" is not an accurate way to describe time dilation. All inertial (constant velocity) motion is relative, so there is never any sense in which something is absolutely moving and time is moving slower. Instead, velocity-based time dilation is a symmetric reciprocal effect of measuring time between two reference frames in relative inertial motion.

The motion of a satellite round the Earth is not inertial. The satellite is orbiting the Earth in a circular orbit, which implies centripetal acceleration. In this case the symmetry is broken and there is a sense in which the satellite clock is running relatively slower than an Earth clock.

The scenario is complicated because there is also gravitational time dilation, which makes the satellite clocks run slightly faster than Earth clocks. But, when you put the two together you get slightly slower ageing for a satellite.

Likes Mattv
There are several related effects here.

If we both move inertially (i.e. at constant speed on a straight line) and in the absence of gravity, then your clock will tick slowly as measured by me and my clock will tick slowly as measured by you. This is the symmetric time dilation effect you appear to be expecting.

However the situation with the satellite is more complicated - it's moving in a circle. We can compare its clock readings to our own each time it passes overhead, and we do indeed find that in those circumstances the clocks on the satellite tick slower as measured by us and our clocks tick faster as measured by the satellite. This situation is further complicated by the presence of gravity which has a time dilation effect too - clocks higher up tick faster than clocks lower down.

A simpler scenario to study would be the Twin Paradox, which is essentially the same thing but without involving gravity. The underlying explanation for all of it is that a clock measures the "length" (actually called interval, because it's not quite the same as length) of its path (called a "worldline") through spacetime. And if two clocks meet up once and meet up again they could have followed worldlines of different "length", in which case they'll show different elapsed times. Inertial motion in the absence of gravity is a special case - we can only meet up once because we can't turn around without moving non-inertially. It turns out that the "both see the other's clock tick slow" effect is due to different ways of defining how to compare clocks that aren't in the same place.

Likes Mattv
In the special theory of relativity synchronicity of different places is not absolute one as it is in our daily lives e.g. London and New York shares the same moment and same TV news. When they are away and in relative motion, his AT THE SAME TIME and her AT THE SAME TIME are different. One can interpret other's AT THE SAME TIME is not his/her own so no confusion take place.

Please find attached my hand drawing. There two rockets pass by the Earth. The three do not share AT THE SAME TIME any more when they are apart. The clocks tick NORMAL, SLOW or VERY SLOW by relative speed.

Attachments

• 2020-06-14 18.08.15.jpg
    2020-06-14 18.08.15.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Likes Mattv
Mattv said:
Others have mentioned the technical aspects, but I would also like to mention a practical aspect: nobody lives on the satellite. From a practical standpoint we don’t care about the reference frame of the satellite. We certainly could calculate it, but doing so wouldn’t help someone navigate which is the purpose of the GPS system.

Likes vanhees71
anuttarasammyak said:
In the special theory of relativity synchronicity of different places is not absolute one as it is in our daily lives e.g. London and New York shares the same moment and same TV news. When they are away and in relative motion, his AT THE SAME TIME and her AT THE SAME TIME are different. One can interpret other's AT THE SAME TIME is not his/her own so no confusion take place.

Please find attached my hand drawing. There two rockets pass by the Earth and the three do not share AT THE SAME TIME any more when they are apart.
In your sketch, I think you had it the other way: the Earth is moving very slowly, and the rocket is moving slowly. That's because the velocity as seen by the "moving rocket" in its own frame is ##(v_e+v_r)/(1+v_ev_r/c^2)## where ##v_e## is Earth's velocity and ##v_r## is the other rock's velocity, both measured by the rocket at "rest". And these two velocitites got the same sign. So the Earth is moving slower than the other rocket.

For reference, http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Relativ/einvel.html

kent davidge said:
In your sketch, I think you had it the other way: the Earth is moving very slowly, and the rocket is moving slowly.
I think that you have misunderstood what @anuttarasammyak was attempting to depict. The drawing was not trying to depict relative rates of motion but rather relative rates of time passage -- time dilation.

The scenario had a rightward moving rocket, a leftward moving rocket and the earth.

From the rest frame of the leftward moving rocket, the Earth is moving rapidly rightward and the other rocket is moving even more rapidly rightward. Accordingly, from this frame, time is passing slowly on the Earth and even more slowly on the other rocket.

From the rest frame of the Earth, one rocket is moving rapidly rightward and the other rapidly leftward. Accordingly, from this frame, time is passing slowly for both.

From the rest frame of the rightward moving rocket, the Earth is moving rapidly leftward and the other rocket is moving even more rapidly leftward. Accordingly, from this frame, time is passing slowly on the Earth and even more slowly on the other rocket.

The key take-away is that everyone calculates everyone else's clocks to be running slowly. Time dilation is symmetric.

That is all that the drawing depicts. It is purely qualitative. There was no attempt to be quantitative and invoke the relativistic velocity addition formula. There was no attempt to include the relativity of simultaneity -- the "leading clocks lag" rule. There was no attempt to account for gravitational time dilation. Nor was there any attempt to adopt "the" non-inertial frame of an clock being accelerated in a circular orbit [or of an inertial clock in a ballistic orbit in curved space-time].

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes anuttarasammyak, Mattv and kent davidge
Well thanks a lot for your answers I didn't expect that much haha, that helped a lot
Special shout-out for the hand-drawn pic :smile:

Do you know any good book about that topic that doesn't need too much theoretical knowledge ? I'd like to go further than YouTube videos

Mattv said:
Well thanks a lot for your answers I didn't expect that much haha, that helped a lot
Special shout-out for the hand-drawn pic :smile:

Do you know any good book about that topic that doesn't need too much theoretical knowledge ? I'd like to go further than YouTube videos
You could try this:

https://scholar.harvard.edu/files/david-morin/files/relativity_chap_1.pdf

Likes Mattv
Mattv said:
Former Mentor here, Ben Crowell, wrote a fairly easy-to-read non-mathematical treatment of relativity - Relativity for Poets - which can be downloaded from www.lightandmatter.com. For a proper textbook, there's also a Special Relativity text there - I haven't read it, but liked both the Relativity for Poets and his General Relativity text. Otherwise, PeroK is fond of Morin which he's already linked. I quite like Taylor and Wheeler's Spacetime Physics, the first chapter of which is also freely available online from E.F. Taylor's website.

Likes Mattv and anuttarasammyak

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time passes at different rates for objects moving at different speeds. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time appears to slow down for objects that are moving at high speeds or experiencing strong gravitational forces.

2. How does time dilation affect our daily lives?

While the effects of time dilation are not noticeable in our daily lives, they are significant for objects moving at extremely high speeds, such as satellites in orbit. Without taking time dilation into account, GPS systems would be inaccurate by several kilometers.

3. Can time travel be achieved through time dilation?

While time dilation does allow for differences in the passage of time, it does not allow for time travel in the traditional sense. Time dilation only affects the rate at which time passes, not the direction of time. Therefore, it is not possible to travel back in time using time dilation.

4. What is the relationship between time dilation and the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel. As an object approaches the speed of light, time dilation becomes more significant. At the speed of light, time would appear to stand still for the object.

5. How does time dilation support the theory of relativity?

Time dilation is a key component of the theory of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. Time dilation helps to explain how time can appear to pass differently for different observers, depending on their relative speeds and gravitational forces.