Time dilation (speed Vs. acceleration)

Note that the gravitational potential difference depends on distance from the centre of mass (and the mass of the object creating the field). The acceleration depends on distance from it's surface. To make a practical clock that can operate in varying gravitational fields would be a very tricky engineering feat.
Crowxe
There's a common example to explain time dilation that states ...
"if you traveled at a speed close to the speed of light and came back in a round trip of 1 hour , you may find that on the departure frame of reference 2 hours had passed"

but that 2 hours trip can't be done without accelerating and decelerating, so if the whole trip was half an hour acceleration , half hour deceleration then the same in the opposite direction. will there still be time dilation ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The time of a comoving clock is the proper time, i.e., for any world line
$$\tau=\int_{\lambda_1}^{\lambda_2} \mathrm{d} \lambda \sqrt{\eta_{\mu \nu} \dot{x}^{\mu} \dot{x}^{\nu}},$$
where ##\lambda## is an arbitrary world-line parameter, ##\dot{x}^{\mu}=\mathrm{d} x^{\mu}/\mathrm{d} \lambda##, and the world line must be timelike, i.e., ##\eta_{\mu \nu} \dot{x}^{\mu} \dot{x}^{\nu}##.

The definition, of course doesn't depend on the choice of ##\lambda##. So particularly you can take ##\lambda=t##, where ##t## is the coordinate time of an arbitrary inertial reference frame. Then the general formula boils down to
$$\tau=\int_{t_1}^{t_2} \mathrm{d} t \sqrt{1-\vec{v}^2}=\int_{t_1}^{t_2} \mathrm{d} t \frac{1}{\gamma}.$$
As you see, there's no difference in whether you are moving with constant velocity wrt. the reference frame or whether you are accelerated. The proper time ##\tau## is always given by this integral, and ##\tau \leq (t_2-t_1)## in any case, i.e., the moving observer always ages less compared to the situation where he stays at rest.

As you see, there's no difference in whether you are moving with constant velocity wrt. the reference frame or whether you are accelerated. The proper time ##\tau## is always given by this integral, and ##\tau \leq (t_2-t_1)## in any case, i.e., the moving observer always ages less compared to the situation where he stays at rest.[/QUOTE]

i presumed that acceleration may have the same effect of gravity (more gravity , time slows down) ! thank you for explaining and clearing that up

Crowxe said:
so if the whole trip was half an hour acceleration , half hour deceleration then the same in the opposite direction. will there still be time dilation ?
Yes, although what you are describing is differential aging rather than time dilation. The effect will likely be weaker because you spent some of the time traveling slowly.

Crowxe said:
i presumed that acceleration may have the same effect of gravity (more gravity , time slows down) ! thank you for explaining and clearing that up
It's only the velocity relative to the stay-at-home clock that matters. As you can see from vanhees71's post, acceleration does not appear in the maths.

Ibix said:
Yes, although what you are describing is differential aging rather than time dilation. The effect will likely be weaker because you spent some of the time traveling slowly.

oops i
Ibix said:
It's only the velocity relative to the stay-at-home clock that matters. As you can see from vanhees71's post, acceleration does not appear in the maths.

yeah , i had that misconception for long. even with using the average speed of the trip mentioned above.
the question popped in my head when i knew that GPS satellite are calibrated for less gravity due to the altitude although the experience zero gravity

In a gravitational field what matters is the gravitational potential, not the acceleration. So distance from the centre of the Earth is the only thing that matters.

Likes stoomart and Crowxe
Just too clarify on what Ibex said. Assume you have a clock sitting at the surface of the Earth, and one 100 km above it, and stationary wit respect to the first clock. Neither clock travels with the rotating Earth (so we only have to concern ourselves with the gravitational time dilation).
Now consider a clock sitting at 2 Earth radii from a planet 4 times as dense as the Earth and a clock 100 km further away from the same planet.

The lower clock in both scenarios are experiencing 1g of acceleration the higher two clocks each experience a slightly lower acceleration. But the difference in acceleration between the first pair of clocks will be great than that for the second pair. However, the gravitational potential difference between the first pair is less than that between the second pair and so will the time dilation.
We can imagine a using a larger and larger mass for the planet while continuing to move the pair of clocks further away so that the lower clock always is at 1g. As you do so, the difference in acceleration felt by the two clocks will decrease and approach zero, but the potential difference and time dilation difference will increase.

Likes PAllen, vanhees71, stoomart and 1 other person

Related to Time dilation (speed Vs. acceleration)

What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time passes at different rates for objects that are moving at different speeds or experiencing different levels of acceleration. This is a key concept in Einstein's theory of relativity.

How does speed affect time dilation?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, as an object's speed increases, time will appear to pass more slowly for that object. This means that someone traveling at high speeds will experience time passing slower than someone who is stationary.

What is the difference between time dilation due to speed and time dilation due to acceleration?

Time dilation due to speed is called "velocity time dilation" and is a result of objects moving at different speeds. Time dilation due to acceleration is called "gravitational time dilation" and is a result of objects experiencing different levels of acceleration due to gravity.

How is time dilation measured?

Time dilation can be measured through various experiments and observations. One common method is to use atomic clocks, which are highly accurate time-keeping devices, and compare the time measured by a clock on Earth with the time measured by a clock on a spacecraft traveling at high speeds.

What are some real-life examples of time dilation?

One of the most well-known examples of time dilation is the "twin paradox," in which one twin travels through space at high speeds while the other stays on Earth. When the traveling twin returns, they will have aged less than their twin who remained on Earth due to the effects of time dilation. Other examples include the time difference between a satellite in orbit and a clock on Earth, as well as the differences in time experienced by astronauts on the International Space Station compared to those on Earth.