Time Distribution Histogram for a process with two peaks

In summary: This is a great approach, and it would be appropriate for your problem. However, the process of constructing a Probability Model can be quite time consuming, so it might not be feasible to use this approach for the problem at hand.
SSGD
I have been studying a processing time for an industrial process. The present analysis just consists of finding the mean value as if the time was distributed normally. I took a sample of data and made a histogram of the data and realized it is not normally distributed at all. The normal distribution isn't a bad fit though. Also I realized that there are two peaks to the distribution. I spent some time watching the process and I realized that an error occurs in the process which can be corrected but it take almost twice the time to complete the process if the error occurs. So I broke the data into two sets one without the error and one without the error. The error free and error histograms fit a gamma distribution well (I don't know if this is the best choice), but the error free process has a mode of about 4 minutes and the process with an error has a mode of about 9 minutes. I also looked at how probable an error is to occur and it was around 30%.

My question is: Is there a way to recombine these two distributions and the probability of error into a single distribution so I can define a mode for the whole process. I want to change the process to reduce the likely hood of error, but with everything it is all about $$$. So I have to be able to justify what I want to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
You would just do a weighted average of the two distributions with the weighting determined by the probability of an error. This is called a mixture distribution.

You probably will not be able to find a nice closed form solution for the distribution, so you will need to go to a numerical approximation.

Likes SSGD
Thanks for the help. This points me in the right direct.

Would this be a weighted inner product of the two distributions?

I was just thinking of a weighted sum, not a weighted inner product.

SSGD said:
My question is: Is there a way to recombine these two distributions and the probability of error into a single distribution so I can define a mode for the whole process.

Did you mean "mode" (of a distribution) or "model" (of a process) ?

Sorry model for the process. It has two modes. I don't have much experience with a mixture distribution. I looked into mixture distributions but it doesn't define a weight average. I'm assuming I would want to use the follow:

(1-.3)*P(no error,t)+.3*P(error,t). I hope this is the weighted sum

SSGD said:
(1-.3)*P(no error,t)+.3*P(error,t). I hope this is the weighted sum

Yes, that is the weighted sum.

In your original post, you said:
The present analysis just consists of finding the mean value as if the time was distributed normally.

Why did your procedure for finding the mean value depend on making an assumption about how the data was distributed? Do you do something other than simply compute the sample mean of the data?

Likes SSGD
I should say the present method is to take the average. I'm not staying it isn't good enough I just think there is more information to be found in the histogram for the process. I just want to find a more precise method. And if it doesn't stick so be it, but I just want to push my understanding of this process... I have learned that a bimodal histogram might have things like correctable errors, and what a weighted average is?

SSGD said:
I just think there is more information to be found in the histogram for the process. I just want to find a more precise method. And if it doesn't stick so be it, but I just want to push my understanding of this process... I have learned that a bimodal histogram might have things like correctable errors, and what a weighted average is?

The place to begin understanding is to understand the many different mathematical interpretations of "precise method". One way way to look at Statistics is that it has two main branches: 1) Estimation 2) Hypothesis Testing. In addition to Statistics, there is the mathematical discipline of constructing Probability Models.

As a general rule, my preferred approach to real life problems is to construct Probability Models and implement them as computer simulations. If you have only a few narrow goals that you are trying to accomplish then Statistics can do that. If you can't anticipate all the questions that you'll want to investigate then it's best to construct a simulation.

1. What is a Time Distribution Histogram?

A Time Distribution Histogram is a graphical representation of the time intervals in which a process or event occurs. It shows the frequency of these time intervals, with the x-axis representing the time intervals and the y-axis representing the frequency.

2. Why does a process with two peaks have a different Time Distribution Histogram?

A process with two peaks has a different Time Distribution Histogram because it has two distinct patterns of time intervals in which the process occurs. This could be due to different phases or modes of operation within the process, which results in two distinct peaks in the histogram.

3. What information can be gained from a Time Distribution Histogram for a process with two peaks?

A Time Distribution Histogram for a process with two peaks can provide information about the frequency and distribution of time intervals for each peak. It can also give insight into the timing and duration of different phases or modes of the process, and the relationship between the two peaks.

4. How is a Time Distribution Histogram for a process with two peaks created?

To create a Time Distribution Histogram for a process with two peaks, time-stamped data points are collected and grouped into intervals. The frequency of data points within each interval is then calculated and plotted on the histogram. The histogram can be visualized as a bar chart or a line chart.

5. What are some practical applications of a Time Distribution Histogram for a process with two peaks?

A Time Distribution Histogram for a process with two peaks can be useful in process improvement and optimization. It can help identify inefficiencies or bottlenecks in the process by highlighting the timing and duration of different phases or modes. It can also aid in scheduling and planning by providing information on the frequency and distribution of time intervals for each peak.