Time evolution of quantum state with time ind Hamiltonian

In summary, the conversation is discussing the time evolution of a system governed by a complex exponential of the Hamiltonian. The speaker is stuck on part e of the problem and is trying to understand how to evaluate the matrix exponential. They are also questioning if the value of C+(t) will always be zero. Another person responds by suggesting to explicitly evaluate multiple powers of H to see a pattern, where for each Hn, the individual elements are raised to the power n and divided by 2n. However, the speaker is still having trouble understanding how this pattern relates to the matrix exponential.
ianmgull

Homework Statement

Part e)

CQ1u1HP.jpg

Homework Equations

I know that the time evolution of a system is governed by a complex exponential of the hamiltonian:

|psi(t)> = Exp(-iHt) |psi(0)>

I know that |psi(0)> = (0, -2/Δ)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck on part e.

I was told by my professor that upon expanding the matrix exponential, I should get a familiar trig function. However I don't understand how this is possible.

Also, does this tell me that C+(t) will always be zero? Because the complex exponential multiplied by the first term in psi of zero is zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
ianmgull said:
I know that |psi(0)> = (0, -2/Δ)
Would it be preferable to normalize this state vector?

I'm stuck on part e.

I was told by my professor that upon expanding the matrix exponential, I should get a familiar trig function. However I don't understand how this is possible.
Explicitly evaluate ##H^2##, ##H^3##, ##H^4##, ##H^5##,... Do enough of these to see the pattern.

Also, does this tell me that C+(t) will always be zero? Because the complex exponential multiplied by the first term in psi of zero is zero.
##e^{-iHt}## is a matrix. This matrix operating on ##\left( 0, \, 1 \right)^t## will not necessarily produce a zero in the first entry of the output.

Thanks for the reply.

Your last point makes sense. I'm still having trouble wrapping my mind around matrix exponentials and forgot that the exponential would actually be a matrix.

I calculated the various powers of H like you mentioned. I definitely see a pattern: For Hn, the individual elements are raised to the power n, and also divided by 2n. However I don't understand how to make sense of this pattern in a matrix exponential.

ianmgull said:
I definitely see a pattern: For Hn, the individual elements are raised to the power n, and also divided by 2n. However I don't understand how to make sense of this pattern in a matrix exponential.
Can you describe what you got for ##H^2##?
Note ##H^2 = H H##, where ##H H## is matrix multiplication of ##H## times ##H##.

1. What is the time evolution of a quantum state?

The time evolution of a quantum state refers to how the state of a quantum system changes over time. This change is described by the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics.

2. What is a time independent Hamiltonian?

A time independent Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator that describes the total energy of a quantum system and does not change with time. It is used to calculate the time evolution of a quantum state.

3. How does the time independent Hamiltonian affect the behavior of a quantum system?

The time independent Hamiltonian determines the allowed energy levels and the corresponding probabilities of a quantum system. It also governs how the system evolves in time, as described by the Schrödinger equation.

4. Can a quantum state evolve without a time independent Hamiltonian?

No, for a quantum state to evolve in time, a time independent Hamiltonian is necessary. Without it, the Schrödinger equation cannot be solved, and the time evolution of the state cannot be determined.

5. How can the time evolution of a quantum state be observed or measured?

The time evolution of a quantum state can be observed through the use of physical observables, such as position, momentum, or energy. These observables can be measured at different points in time to track the changes in the quantum state over time.