Time for Two Balls to Reach Same Height

In summary: Also, make sure your units are consistent. You can't add 27 to a position in metres and then add 9.92 to a position in seconds.
n_nason

Homework Statement

A red ball is thrown down with an initial speed of 1.0 m/s from a height of 27.0 meters above the ground. Then, 0.4 seconds after the red ball is thrown, a blue ball is thrown upward with an initial speed of 24.8 m/s, from a height of 0.8 meters above the ground. The force of gravity due to the Earth results in the balls each having a constant downward acceleration of 9.81 m/s2.
How long after the red ball is thrown, will the two balls be in the air at the same height.

Homework Equations

X=X(initial)+v(initial)t+1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I set the equations equal to each other for each ball (making x the same) so I got..
27+1t+4.9t^2=24.8(t-.4)+4.9(t-.4)^2
After factoring and so on, I got to..
35.96=19.88t
t=1.8
This is not correct, where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF n_nason!You're not being consistent with signs. Choose upward to be either the positive x-direction, or the negative x direction, but stick with your choice.

So say I make the second half of my equation...
-24.8(t-.4)-4.9(t-.4)^2
Then my equation would be...
1t+4.9t^2+27=-24.8(t-.4)-4.9(t-.4)^2
My acceleration would not cancel, is that the right track?

What happened to the 0.8 metres?

EDIT: also, the acceleration is in the SAME direction for both balls (downward). So why do the two 4.9s have different signs? Gravity didn't suddenly become upward.

Also, if your origin (x = 0) is at the ground level, and you've chosen upward to be the negative x-direction, then all of your positions should be negative as well.

Oh, right that makes sense.
Still not getting the correct answer,
1t+4.9t^2+27=-24.8t+9.92+4.9t^2-3.92t+.784+.8
is my simplified answer
canceling acceleration and solving for t I get,
29.72t=-15.496
t=-1.92

Again, you chose upward to be the negative x-direction, so all of your positions should be negative.

What is Physics 211?

Physics 211 is a course that covers the principles and applications of classical mechanics, including topics such as Newton's laws, energy, momentum, and rotational motion.

What does "two balls thrown" refer to?

"Two balls thrown" refers to a common physics problem in which two objects are thrown at different angles and velocities, and the goal is to determine their trajectories and interactions.

What are the key concepts covered in "Physics 211, two balls thrown"?

The key concepts covered in "Physics 211, two balls thrown" include projectile motion, conservation of energy and momentum, and the laws of motion.

What skills will I develop by studying "Physics 211, two balls thrown"?

By studying "Physics 211, two balls thrown", you will develop skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, and mathematical analysis, as well as a deeper understanding of the laws and principles governing motion.

How can I apply the concepts learned in "Physics 211, two balls thrown" to real-world situations?

The concepts learned in "Physics 211, two balls thrown" have many real-world applications, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile, understanding the motion of objects in sports or transportation, and designing and analyzing complex systems involving moving objects.