Time intervals measured by stationary and moving observers

Hak said:
Thank you. Yes, I wrote ##L' (v'^2)## instead of ##L'(v^2)##, right?
The switching was in defining ##x = v^2## and ##a = v'^2## instead of the other way around.

Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
PeterDonis said:
That's because they're not fine if you have already chosen the unprimed reference frame.

I still cannot understand this. I would be grateful if you could explain it again in a way that I can understand it. Thank you very much for your contribution.

PeterDonis said:
Obviously not, because in post #21 you switched reference frames (you didn't realize that's what you were doing when you said ##x = v^2##, ##a = v'^2##, but it was).
I guess I didn't really understand. So you can change the frame of reference, but you can't reverse ##x## and ##a##, right?

Hak said:
I would be grateful if you could explain it again in a way that I can understand it.
I'm not sure what more I can say. When you define ##x = v'^2##, ##a = v^2##, you are choosing the unprimed frame. That's just a fact. There is no "explanation" for it. So if you say ##x = v^2##, ##a = v'^2##, that is inconsistent with choosing the unprimed frame. What more is there to say?

Hak said:
So you can change the frame of reference, but you can't reverse ##x## and ##a##, right?
Wrong. Reversing ##x## and ##a## is changing the frame of reference. But then you have to start the whole analysis over from the beginning. You can't just reverse them in one equation, that was obtained by a series of approximations that assumed you were using the unprimed frame.

PeterDonis said:
When you define ##x = v'^2##, ##a = v^2##, you are choosing the unprimed frame. That's just a fact. There is no "explanation" for it. So if you say ##x = v^2##, ##a = v'^2##, that is inconsistent with choosing the unprimed frame. What more is there to say?
I did not understand what calculations I should have done to choose the primed frame of reference. Should I change all the calculations in the unfolding to do that? Thank you very much.

Hak said:
I did not understand what calculations I should have done to choose the primed frame of reference. Should I change all the calculations in the unfolding to do that?
See post #40.

@PeterDonis Thank you so much for everything, I think I understand. You really gave me a great amount of help. Thank you again.

Hak said:
@PeterDonis Thank you so much for everything, I think I understand. You really gave me a great amount of help. Thank you again.
You're welcome! :smile: