Time Irreversibility and the Weak Nuclear Force

In summary, the time irreversibility of the weak nuclear force may be the main cause for the increase of entropy over time, as seen in evidence such as the lack of entropy generation in superconductors and recent studies on neutron stars. Further research and exploration is needed to fully understand and confirm this concept.
edevere
I've been writing a lot recently about whether the reason for the increase of entropy over time (i.e. the second law of thermodynamics) is the time irreversibility of the weak nuclear force. I would like to get some people's thoughts on this topic (perhaps links to important papers on this subject.)
My thoughts are below and also found at this link: http://eddiesblogonenergyandphysics.blogspot.com/2011/07/what-is-source-of-directionality-of.html"

I think that the time irreversibility of the weak nuclear force (the only known force with CP violation, and hence no Time reflection symmetry) is the main (if not only) reason for the thermodynamic arrow of time to only move in the direction of increasing entropy, i.e. one's knowledge of the exact microstate of a system can only decrease in time unless you spend work to measure the microstate of the system...and then your knowledge of the microstate decreases (regardless of how well you measure the properties of the system.) The loss of knowledge requires a source of randomization, which can not come from gravity, E&M or the strong nuclear force if they have Time reflection symmetry. This a major point in which I disagree with the work from Prigogine, who suggested that the reason for the irreversibility of large systems was that correlations between particles go away when the particles are far away from each other. How would one prove Prigogine's assumption? (upon which his books on non-equilibrium thermodynamics were based)

I instead suggest that the only way for the entropy of the system to increase is if the Hamiltonian of the system is time irreversible, and hence that one of the forces of nature must be time irreversible.
Here's the evidence I see that the weak nuclear force is the cause of the irreversibility in every day thermodynamic systems.
1) Entropy generation requires collisions between particles
2) There is virtual no entropy generation when a current flows through a superconductors (no resistance) or when a superfluid flows (no viscosity), i.e. virtually no entropy production in B-E condensates
3) Entropy generation appears in fermion-fermion (e.g. electron-electron collisions) and fermion-boson (electron-phonon collisions)
4) There are known T symmetry violations for the weak nuclear force
5) Recent evidence from neutron stars suggests that there are still protons in the core of neutron star and that they are in a superconducting/superfluid state and are unable to convert to neutrons because they are in boson state and unable to interact via the weak nuclear force.

This is the main evidence I see for the weak nuclear force being the main (if not sole) cause for the thermodynamic 'arrow of time.'
Let me know what you think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

As a scientist studying thermodynamics and the fundamental forces of nature, I find this topic very interesting. The idea that the time irreversibility of the weak nuclear force could be the main reason for the increase of entropy over time is certainly worth exploring. I will have to look into some of the papers and evidence you have mentioned, as well as the work of Prigogine, to fully understand and form my own opinion on the matter. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and providing links for further reading. I will definitely keep this topic in mind and continue to research it.

1. What is time irreversibility?

Time irreversibility refers to the concept that the flow of time is unidirectional and cannot be reversed. This means that events in the past cannot be changed or undone. This property of time is a fundamental principle in physics and is also known as the arrow of time.

2. What is the role of the weak nuclear force in time irreversibility?

The weak nuclear force is one of the four fundamental forces in the universe. It is responsible for radioactive decay, which is a process that is irreversible. This means that once an atom undergoes radioactive decay, it cannot go back to its original state. This process plays a crucial role in the arrow of time and the irreversibility of events.

3. Can the weak nuclear force be reversed?

No, the weak nuclear force cannot be reversed. As mentioned before, the weak nuclear force is responsible for radioactive decay, and this process is irreversible. Additionally, the weak nuclear force is also responsible for the weak interactions between subatomic particles, and these interactions are also irreversible.

4. How does the concept of time irreversibility relate to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy (disorder) of a closed system will always increase over time. This means that the universe tends towards a state of maximum entropy, which is a state of maximum disorder. This is closely related to the concept of time irreversibility because as time progresses, the universe becomes more disordered and chaotic, and this can never be reversed.

5. Are there any exceptions to the irreversibility of the weak nuclear force?

While the overall process of radioactive decay is irreversible, individual particles within an atom can sometimes exhibit reversibility. This is known as quantum tunneling, where particles can "tunnel" through energy barriers that would normally prevent them from changing state. However, this is a rare occurrence and does not change the overall irreversibility of the weak nuclear force.