Time needed for a Force F to accelerate the crate to 2m/s? (Dynamics)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the time when the velocity is 2 m/s up an incline. The speaker agrees with the book's answer of T=1.929s and mentions their mistake in equating the equation to 0 instead of 2. The other person thanks them for pointing out the error.
bardia sepehrnia
Homework Statement
The mass of the crate, coefficient of static and kinetic friction is given. The force equation is also given.
Relevant Equations
F=300t

So above is the question. The picture below is my attempt at the solution:

However the answer at the back of the book suggest that T=1.929s

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with the book. What did you do at the very last step? What does v=1.292 mean and how did you get it? You are supposed to find the time when the velocity is 2 m/s up the incline.

Likes bardia sepehrnia
kuruman said:
I agree with the book. What did you do at the very last step? What does v=1.292 mean and how did you get it? You are supposed to find the time when the velocity is 2 m/s up the incline.
Wow, I've been doing dynamics for too long today and been extremely tired and frustrated. For some reason I equated the entire equation to 0 where as you pointed out, I obviously had to equate it to 2. Thank you very much!

1. How is the time needed for a force to accelerate a crate to 2m/s calculated?

The time needed for a force to accelerate a crate to 2m/s can be calculated using the equation t = m*a/F, where t is the time in seconds, m is the mass of the crate in kilograms, a is the acceleration in meters per second squared, and F is the force in Newtons.

2. What factors affect the time needed for a force to accelerate a crate?

The time needed for a force to accelerate a crate can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the crate, the magnitude of the force, and any external forces acting on the crate, such as friction or air resistance.

3. How does the mass of the crate impact the time needed for acceleration?

The mass of the crate directly affects the time needed for acceleration. The larger the mass of the crate, the longer it will take for a given force to accelerate it to a certain speed. This is because a larger mass requires more force to accelerate it compared to a smaller mass.

4. Can the time needed for acceleration be reduced by increasing the force?

Yes, the time needed for acceleration can be reduced by increasing the force. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force applied to it. Therefore, by increasing the force, the acceleration will also increase, resulting in a shorter time needed for acceleration.

5. How does the presence of external forces affect the time needed for acceleration?

The presence of external forces, such as friction or air resistance, can increase the time needed for acceleration. These forces act against the applied force, slowing down the acceleration of the crate. Therefore, the time needed for acceleration will be longer compared to a scenario where there are no external forces present.