Time that a comet spends inside Earth's orbit

In summary, the author tried to use the effective potential of a parabolic orbit to obtain angular momentum, but found that the equation for the orbit of the Earth is a constant of motion. He then found the angle λ between the comet's orbit and the Earth's orbit and used this information to calculate the time T it will take for the comet to reach the Earth. However, his calculations turned out to be incorrect.
matteo446
Homework Statement
A comet of mass m is orbiting around the Sun in a parabolic orbit. Assume that Earth's orbit is circular with radius rT and that it's coplanar with the orbit of the comet.

Determine the time T that the comet spends inside Earth's orbit if the periaster (nearest point to the Sun) of the comet is rP=rT/3.

Determine the maximum time that the comet can spend inside Earth's orbit tMax.
Relevant Equations
U(r) = L^2/(2mr^2) - GmM/r where L is angular momentum of the body from P, m is the mass of the body orbiting r(θ) = ed/(1+ecos(θ)) where e is the eccentricity and d is the distance from the directrix
image-001.png

I tried in the first place to use the effective potential of a parabolic orbit which is 0 to get the angular momentum L.

Evaluating the function U(r) at r = rP i get U(rP) = L^2/(2m(rP)^2) - GmM/rP = 0.

Here I get L = m√(2GMrP).

Now the relationship between angular momentum L and areal velocity α is L/2m = √((1/6)GMrT) which is a constant of motion.

My idea is to find an area and use this value of α to obtain time T.

With respect to a polar frame of reference centered at S i used the general equation for a conic in polar coordinates r(θ) = ed/(1+ecos(θ)) with e=1 for a parabola so r(θ)=d/(1+cos(θ)).

I know r(0) = rP so replacing rP = d/2 and d = 2rP.

So the comet follows the orbit of equation r(θ) = 2rP/(1+cos(θ)).

Now I want to find the angle λ to replace in the equation to get rT as the point of intersection between the orbits satisfies also the equation for the orbit of the Earth r(θ) = rT.

I get λ = arcos(-1/3) ≈ 1.9 rad.

So (here i think I made mistakes as i don't know polar integration) integrating from 0 to 1.9 and multiplying by 2 because of symmetry the area A is 2*(1/2 ∫(2rP/1+cosθ)^2dθ) ≈ 1.9rP^2 = (1.9/9)*rT^2.

Now simply T = A/α = ((1.9/9)*rT^2)/√((1/6)GMrT) ≈ 9.5*10^-3s which is very wrong.

I don't know how to start for the second question.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your work is essentially correct.

However, you wrote
matteo446 said:
A is 2*(1/2 ∫(2rP/1+cosθ)^2dθ) ≈ 1.9rP^2
You need another set of parentheses to enclose the ##1 + \cos \theta## in the denominator. I don't get the factor of 1.9. I get a number between 4 and 5. (I'm lazy, so I used software to do the integration.)

I don't know how you got ##T## to be of the order of ##10^{-2}## seconds. Your equation for ##T## should yield a large number in seconds if you plug in the correct numbers.

I don't know how to start for the second question.
You'll need to let ##r_p## be a variable. You could let ##x = r_p/r_T##. Find ##\cos \theta##, ##L##, ##A##, and ##T## in terms of ##x##.

Thanks for your help. :smile:

1. How long does a comet typically spend inside Earth's orbit?

The amount of time a comet spends inside Earth's orbit can vary greatly depending on its size, speed, and trajectory. However, on average, comets spend anywhere from a few days to a few months inside Earth's orbit.

2. What factors influence the amount of time a comet spends inside Earth's orbit?

As mentioned before, the size, speed, and trajectory of a comet can all affect how long it spends inside Earth's orbit. Additionally, the gravitational pull of other planets and objects in our solar system can also play a role in the comet's journey.

3. How close does a comet get to Earth when it is inside Earth's orbit?

The distance between a comet and Earth can vary greatly, but on average, comets can get as close as a few million miles to Earth when they are inside our orbit.

4. Can comets collide with Earth while inside its orbit?

While it is possible for comets to collide with Earth while inside its orbit, it is very rare. The chances of a comet actually hitting Earth are extremely low, as most comets will either pass by at a safe distance or break up in Earth's atmosphere.

5. How do scientists track the time a comet spends inside Earth's orbit?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to track comets, including telescopes, radar, and spacecraft. By monitoring the comet's position and trajectory, scientists can estimate how long it will spend inside Earth's orbit and make predictions about its behavior.