Time to pressurize a vessel of fixed volume

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for calculating the time it will take to pressurize a vessel from 1 atm to 60 psig after a flow control valve is opened. The method involves using the ideal gas law to determine the number of moles of gas at initial and final conditions, calculating the mass difference, and using the volumetric flow rate to determine the time required to supply the additional volume of gas. The conversation also considers the effect of temperature during the filling process.
TomG
Hi,

I'm looking for a method to calculate how much time it will take to pressurize a vessel from 1 atm to 60 psig after a flow control valve is opened.

The method I was considering using is:

I was thinking about using PV=nRT and (P1*V1)/T1=(P2*V2)/T2 to determine the # of moles in the vessel at both the initial and final conditions. Then I was going to calculate the mass of the difference in moles from initial to final conditions. I was then planning on dividing the mass of the added moles by the density of the gas to get the additional volume of the gas added to the vessel. Last, I would use the volumetric flow rate in the gas supply line (the line with the flow control valve connected to the chamber) to derive the time required to supply the additional volume of gas containing the additional moles.

Is this method correct? If not, what is the right approach to solving for how long it will take to pressureize a vessel with incoming gas from P1 to P2?

Thank you in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
What happens to the temperature while you are filling?

If you know V and T, then you can compute P and nR.

OP, If you are still active, did you ever find an answer?
-Metcon

METCON said:
OP, If you are still active, did you ever find an answer?
-Metcon
He hasn't been here in 7 years

1. How long does it take to pressurize a vessel of fixed volume?

The time it takes to pressurize a vessel of fixed volume depends on several factors, including the size of the vessel, the type of gas being used, and the pressure required. However, on average, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes.

2. What is the most efficient way to pressurize a vessel of fixed volume?

The most efficient way to pressurize a vessel of fixed volume is to use a compressor or pump specifically designed for the gas being used. This will ensure that the pressure is increased quickly and efficiently without causing damage to the vessel.

3. Can the time to pressurize a vessel be reduced?

Yes, the time to pressurize a vessel can be reduced by increasing the pressure of the gas being used, using a larger compressor or pump, or increasing the temperature of the gas. However, it is important to follow safety guidelines and not exceed the maximum pressure or temperature limits of the vessel.

4. Are there any risks associated with pressurizing a vessel of fixed volume?

Yes, there are some risks involved in pressurizing a vessel of fixed volume. These include the possibility of the vessel rupturing or exploding if the pressure is too high, or the gas being released too quickly. It is important to follow proper procedures and safety guidelines when pressurizing a vessel.

5. How do you calculate the pressurization time for a vessel of fixed volume?

The pressurization time for a vessel of fixed volume can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which takes into account the initial pressure, final pressure, volume, and temperature of the gas being used. Other factors such as the type of compressor or pump being used may also need to be considered when calculating the pressurization time.