Time Uncertainty Propagation - Stoke's Law & Average Time

In summary, the problem is calculating the terminal velocity for a small sphere falling in glycerine, with a distance of 20 cm and 3 trials for each temperature. The measurements were taken with a smartphone camera at 960 FPS, giving an absolute uncertainty of ± 0.01 s for time. There is a question on how to find the uncertainty in the average time of 3 trials at any temperature, and whether to use the absolute uncertainty or the range of times. The distinction between precision and error was not made clear, but using the same absolute uncertainty for each trial and for the average time may be a suitable approach.
adityax26

Homework Statement

[/B]
So basically I am calculating the terminal velocity for a small sphere falling in a measuring cylinder filled with glycerine. The distance traveled is 20 cm (0.20 m), and I have conducted 3 trials for each temperature.

I have measured the displacement of the ball using a smartphone camera with 960 FPS, which gives me a absolute uncertainty of 1/960 = (approximately) ± 0.01 s for time.

Now I am wondering, how do I find the uncertainty in the AVERAGE time of 3 trials at any temperature? Does the absolute uncertainty stay at ± 0.01 s for the average? Do I look at the range? Again; I measured time using a smartphone capturing at 960 FPS.

Homework Equations

[/B]
Uncertainty propagation: relative/percentage uncertainty..?

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the same absolute uncertainty for each trial, I could use ± 0.01 s as uncertainty for time.

However, looking at the range, all of my temperatures have a range of around ± 0.06 s (minimum and maximum times differ by around this much for every temperature). Should I use this as my uncertainty?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
adityax26 said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
So basically I am calculating the terminal velocity for a small sphere falling in a measuring cylinder filled with glycerine. The distance traveled is 20 cm (0.20 m), and I have conducted 3 trials for each temperature.

I have measured the displacement of the ball using a smartphone camera with 960 FPS, which gives me a absolute uncertainty of 1/960 = (approximately) ± 0.01 s for time.

Now I am wondering, how do I find the uncertainty in the AVERAGE time of 3 trials at any temperature? Does the absolute uncertainty stay at ± 0.01 s for the average? Do I look at the range? Again; I measured time using a smartphone capturing at 960 FPS.

Homework Equations

[/B]
Uncertainty propagation: relative/percentage uncertainty..?

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the same absolute uncertainty for each trial, I could use ± 0.01 s as uncertainty for time.

However, looking at the range, all of my temperatures have a range of around ± 0.06 s (minimum and maximum times differ by around this much for every temperature). Should I use this as my uncertainty?

Thanks!
Part of your problem may be that you are not distinguishing between precision and error. You say the uncertainty in the time measurement is ±0.01s. I assume you mean that the time stamp on each frame is expressed as a time in seconds with two decimal places. That would be the precision of your measurement.
The error of your measurements is affected by various things, like variation of temperature within the fluid, velocity of the sphere when it enters the fluid, etc. The standard deviation of your measurements gives you an estimate of the size of the random component of error. (There may also be bias (non-random) errors which are constant over all of your trials.) The standard error of the mean gives you an estimate of the accuracy of your calculated mean value.

Last edited:
tnich said:
Part of your problem may be that you are not distinguishing between precision and error. You say the uncertainty in the time measurement is ±0.01s. I assume you mean that the time stamp on each frame is expressed as a time in seconds with two decimal places. That would be the precision of your measurement.
The error of your measurements is affected by various things, like variation of temperature within the fluid, velocity of the sphere when it enters the fluid, etc. The standard deviation of your measurements gives you an estimate of the size of the random component of error. (There may also be bias (non-random) errors which are constant over all of your trials.) The standard error of the mean gives you an estimate of the accuracy of your calculated mean value.
oh, we didn't learn any of that, only ever used S.D. in biology as uncertainty. My physics teacher said I could use ± 0.01 s for each trial, and keep this uncertainty for the average in time trials too; would that be fine you think?

1. What is Time Uncertainty Propagation?

Time uncertainty propagation is a scientific concept that refers to the influence of uncertainty in one variable on the uncertainty of another variable over a period of time. It is commonly used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and statistics, to understand the relationship between different variables and their potential impact on each other.

2. How is Stoke's Law related to Time Uncertainty Propagation?

Stoke's Law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the drag force, viscosity, and particle size of a fluid. In the context of time uncertainty propagation, Stoke's Law is used to calculate the average time taken for a particle to settle in a fluid due to gravity. This calculation takes into account the uncertainty in the particle size and viscosity of the fluid, making it a useful tool in understanding the propagation of uncertainty over time.

3. What factors affect the Average Time in Time Uncertainty Propagation?

The average time in time uncertainty propagation is affected by several factors, including the initial uncertainty in the variables, the rate of change of these variables, and the relationship between them. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurement instruments used to determine these variables can also impact the average time. It is essential to consider all these factors when calculating the average time in time uncertainty propagation.

4. How is Time Uncertainty Propagation useful in real-world applications?

Time uncertainty propagation has various real-world applications, including predicting the movement of particles in fluid dynamics, estimating the time taken for chemical reactions to occur, and assessing the reliability of measurements in scientific experiments. It is also used in the field of risk management to understand the potential impact of uncertain variables on a given system over time.

5. Can Time Uncertainty Propagation be applied to non-linear systems?

Yes, time uncertainty propagation can be applied to non-linear systems. In non-linear systems, the relationship between variables is not proportional, and thus, the calculation of average time becomes more complex. However, by using advanced mathematical techniques, such as Monte Carlo simulations, the average time can still be estimated in non-linear systems, making time uncertainty propagation a versatile tool in various scientific fields.