Timescale of the biological pump?

In summary, the conversation discusses the timescale of the biological pump in the carbon cycle. While the carbon is recycled to the surface in approximately 1,000 years, the timescale of the biological pump varies greatly and can range from 45 days to 5 years. The conversation also references the impact of various cycles, such as diurnal and seasonal cycles, on the biological pump.
Kior
I'm tying to find any clue about the timescale of the biological pump. That the carbon is recycled to the surface ca. 1,000 years is clear but the timescale of the biological pump seems hard to find. There is an report I saw when I was surfing the internet saying that the timescale can range from 45 days to 5 years which I find is a little shocking. Does it truly vary that much, or there is something wrong about the data?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Are you referring to the carbon cycle?

stedwards said:
Are you referring to the carbon cycle?
Yes!

It is a good practice to save the references to be handy at a question.

Here is a good description of the carbon cycle: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_cycle . As you can see, it has many components from geology and biology. The biological cycle is of course dominated by diurnal and seasonal cycles, as cyanobacteria and plants affect it so much. So the timescale is daily, yearly and so on up to geological scales of plate tectonics (supercontinent cycle).

What is the biological pump?

The biological pump is a process in which carbon is transferred from the surface of the ocean to the deep ocean through the cycling of marine organisms.

How does the biological pump affect the global carbon cycle?

The biological pump is a crucial component of the global carbon cycle as it removes carbon from the atmosphere and stores it in the deep ocean, helping to regulate Earth's climate.

What is the timescale of the biological pump?

The timescale of the biological pump can vary greatly, ranging from a few days to thousands of years, depending on factors such as ocean circulation, nutrient availability, and the types of organisms involved.

What are the main factors that influence the efficiency of the biological pump?

The efficiency of the biological pump is influenced by factors such as ocean temperature, nutrient availability, and the composition and productivity of marine ecosystems.

How is the biological pump impacted by human activities?

Human activities, such as pollution and overfishing, can disrupt the biological pump and affect the transfer of carbon to the deep ocean, potentially leading to imbalances in the global carbon cycle and climate change.