Tips for Preparing for an Adjunct Professor Interview at a Community College?

In summary, the community college physics department interviewed me for a part time teaching gig. I am going to give a 10 minute presentation on elliptical orbits as well for a sample lecture. I am not so nervous about that bit -- it is the "other" things that they could ask me. Thanks, KQ6UP.
kq6up
I have an interview with a community college physics department for a part time teaching gig. Can anyone provide me with some tips of what to expect. I am going to give a 10 minute presentation on elliptical orbits as well for a sample lecture. I am not so nervous about that bit -- it is the "other" things that they could ask me.

Thanks,
KQ6UP

Physics news on Phys.org
Keep the lecture very minimal, engage your audience, repeatedly express your love of teaching, how you want to help the department out, your preference for teaching introductory courses as opposed to quantum mechanics, how you value a good working relationship and how you are very , very flexible.

kq6up said:
I have an interview with a community college physics department for a part time teaching gig. Can anyone provide me with some tips of what to expect. I am going to give a 10 minute presentation on elliptical orbits as well for a sample lecture. I am not so nervous about that bit -- it is the "other" things that they could ask me.

Thanks,
KQ6UP

Actually, what you should find out first are: (i) what type of students you will be teaching and (ii) what courses are they expecting you to teach.

You should tailor your lecture accordingly. It shows that you are capable of adopting to the type of "audience" that you will be teaching to. Otherwise, if you present a topic that is irrelevant to the students, then they might judge you as not having done your homework.

Zz.

Likes kq6up
I would not ask any questions of the audience. I was instructed to prepare and the audience would play the role of students. I though I would pose questions in the 20-minute lecture as I would to see if the students were comprehending. Maybe it was because the presentation was after lunch and the committee was drowsy, but my question(s) were easy and they fell flat. No one on the committee volunteered a multiple (4) choice answer.
Actually the committee consisted of one chemist, one mathematics, one English majpr, a nd a human resource, and a few others.
At least your question is interesting. I had to do solar energy for one interview. and scientific method for the other. I had a third interview but I do not remember the subject. It was not interesting.
I am probably not a good source for positive advice, in that I did not get an offer. One CC expressed strong interest, but it was after I already accepted a job as a physicist away from teaching.

Here is my powerpoint for my 10 minute talk (attached PDF).

Comments are welcome,
KQ6UP

Attachments

• Eliptical Orbits.pdf
    676.5 KB · Views: 301
Your 14 slide talk violates the slide a minute rule-of-thumb. You definitely don't want to rush, plus you may be interrupted by questions.

Not sure why you go into Newton's laws, gravitational force law or Kepler's 2nd and 3rd laws. Doesn't directly bear on the topic of ellipses and seems like overkill. Remember, less is more in these settings. I might take these slides out and reserve them instead for backup/questions.

I dropped two of the Newton slides. I am leaving the first just because it is one of the most significant derivations in the history of science. I feel like it would lack rigor without Kepler's II and III laws. I think it rounds it out.

Regards,
Chris KQ6UP

I got hired on the spot :D

Thanks guys/gals,
KQ6UP

Likes jtbell, Andy Resnick and DrSteve

1. What qualifications do I need to become an adjunct professor at a community college?

In general, to become an adjunct professor at a community college, you will need at least a master's degree in the subject area you wish to teach. Some colleges may also require previous teaching experience or a teaching certification.

2. How should I prepare for an adjunct professor interview at a community college?

Before the interview, research the community college and its programs to understand their mission and values. Prepare examples of your teaching experience and strategies, and be familiar with current trends and issues in higher education. Practice answering common interview questions and be ready to discuss your teaching philosophy.

3. What are some common topics that may be covered in an adjunct professor interview?

Some common topics that may be covered in an adjunct professor interview include your teaching experience and strategies, your knowledge of the subject area, your familiarity with the community college's mission and values, and your ability to adapt to the college's student population and teaching environment.

4. How can I stand out in an adjunct professor interview at a community college?

To stand out in an adjunct professor interview at a community college, be prepared to discuss your teaching experience and strategies in detail. Be familiar with the college's mission and values and how your teaching philosophy aligns with them. Show enthusiasm and passion for teaching and be open to discussing different teaching methods and approaches.

5. What questions should I ask during an adjunct professor interview at a community college?

Some questions to ask during an adjunct professor interview at a community college include what the teaching workload and responsibilities are, what support and resources are available for adjunct professors, and what the college's expectations are for student engagement and assessment. You can also ask about opportunities for professional development and how the college supports diversity and inclusion in the classroom.