Need help preparing for an interview

• Admissions
  • Thread starter Haorong Wu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interview
In summary, Jedishrfu advises preparing a speech about his research work in his M.Sc. program, digging into a related paper from the professor's group, and listing his motivations for Ph.D.
Haorong Wu
Hi. I am going to apply to a physics Ph.D. program at UBC, and I just received an interview invitation from a professor after I contacted him. I have never taken part in any interview, so I am pretty worried about how to prepare for it. There are tons of websites teaching me how to prepare. Still, I think it may be best also to seek advice here since I believe you may have more experience in physics than me.

I will prepare a speech about my research work in my M.Sc. program, dig into a related paper from the professor's group, and list my motivations for Ph.D. What else should I prepare?

Thanks ahead.

Physics news on Phys.org
While waiting for responses from folks who've given or taken a PhD program interview, I found this helpful blog on the process:

https://blog.accepted.com/ten-tips-phd-interview/

Code:
Here’s what you need to be prepared to discuss at your PhD Interview:

1)  Your PhD goals

2)  Why this PhD program

3)  Your research interests

4)  Important issues in your field

5)  Your PhD resume and statement of purpose

6)  Relevant grant projects

7)  Teaching/mentoring experiences

8)  Your fit with your target PhD program

9)  Questions about the PhD program

10) Life as a PhD student

@jedishrfu Thanks! This helps a lot and the website is useful.

I’d look at your interview like a job interview. The interviewer looks at what you provided in your application, in any papers you submitted, in your transcripts for any gaps or anomalies and may test your knowledge of certain skills.

Interviewers are trying to decide how you might fit in with the team. As an example, a senior grad student with a critical skill is leaving so the interviewer needs to reorganize the team a bit assigning someone the seniors work and then finding someone join and take up the slack.

Review what you sent in and think like an interviewer. You could also ask one of your profs to help you prepare with a mock interview.

As an example, if you took time off between jobs then the interviewer might want to know why and so you should have a good answer. If you had a problem in some course they want to know why. if you switched majors along the way they might want to know why.

Just think of simple answers for these gaps that don’t elicit unnecessary additional questions.

Ive done interviews for students applying for summer internships at the lab and this is how we handled the interviews.

ONE KEY POINT: it’s okay to ask questions about the PhD program, the work environment, computing facilities, hardware/software tools used and other relevant questions.

Make your interview a dialog where they are interviewing you and you are interviewing them.

Likes Haorong Wu

1. How should I prepare for an interview?

The first step in preparing for an interview is to research the company and the position you are applying for. This will help you understand the company's values and goals, and tailor your answers to align with them. Next, practice common interview questions and have a friend or family member conduct a mock interview with you. Finally, make sure to dress professionally and arrive early on the day of the interview.

2. What should I bring to an interview?

It is always a good idea to bring extra copies of your resume, a notepad and pen, and any relevant documents or portfolio samples. You may also want to bring a list of questions to ask the interviewer and a form of identification.

3. How can I make a good first impression at an interview?

To make a good first impression, be sure to arrive on time, dress professionally, and greet the interviewer with a smile and a firm handshake. Maintain good eye contact and speak confidently and clearly. Also, be sure to listen actively and ask thoughtful questions.

4. How should I answer difficult questions during an interview?

If you encounter a difficult question during an interview, take a moment to gather your thoughts before answering. Be honest and concise in your response, and try to relate your answer back to your skills and experience. If you are unsure of how to answer, don't be afraid to ask for clarification or take a moment to think before responding.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid during an interview?

Some common mistakes to avoid during an interview include being unprepared, speaking negatively about past employers or experiences, and being too focused on salary and benefits. It is also important to avoid interrupting the interviewer, using slang or inappropriate language, and appearing disinterested or unenthusiastic.