Tips for Rear Drive Wheel Compatibility with Output Motor | Mini-Go Kart Design

In summary: This would solve the problem of the bearings not being able to rotate with the output shaft. If you still want to be able to move the vehicle around you can just attach a chain or rope to the output shaft and use the motor to move the vehicle. Please let me know what you think. In summary, the wheels intended for the device do not rotate with the output shaft of the motor. A coupling was fabricated and screwed into the wheel to allow it to rotate with the shaft. The wheels are not very complicated and a more complicated suspension would have been difficult to create.
bmed90
Hey what's up guys,

I am currently designing a mini-go kart type device. I was hoping someone with knowledge of these kinds of things could give me some tips.

Materials in question: Rear Drive Wheels

Problem: The wheels are intended to rotate with the output shaft of this motor

See attachment.

The rear wheels I ordered have bearings in them however and therefore they do not rotate with the output shaft of the motor.

Current Solution: fabricate a coupling with a washer and screw it into the wheel. I can provide pictures of what it should look like to give a better idea.

Asking: Does anyone know any kind of wheels that I might be able to search for that will fit directly on the output shaft of the motor?

Attachments

• Motor.docx
    25.2 KB · Views: 204
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hope this makes sense. Any advice is appreciated.

Afaik, cars usually have a powered shaft connected to the drive wheel.
The wheel bearings are to divorce the wheel from the fixed vehicle frame, so your issue is perfectly normal.
Note that adding suspension components makes the interface more complicated, the wheel has to bounce up and down without losing power. If you want to soft mount your motor, the drive shaft will need a coupling to accommodate that.
For a go-cart, where a really stiff ride is acceptable, you probably can get away without the complications that a suspension introduces. Just be aware that motors are usually not banged about the way your motor will be, hard mounted to a go-cart. The drive shaft is going to transmit the wheel bumps to the motor very effectively, maybe too effectively.
All the best and please keep us posted!

Hey thanks for your reply. So the device I am making is not too terribly complicated. It is a prototype and no suspensions have been sought out up to this point.

Are there any wheel types that have a connection to where they can be connected directly to a power shaft like the one from the motor shown in the attachment? I'm looking for a wheel that can just be slipped on there and viola its ready to spin with the shaft. Because the wheels we currently are using have bearings in them they do not accomplish this.

Maybe you could look into sniping the whole rear axle assembly (differential, axles & wheels) from something like a riding lawn mower or garden tractor.

1. What are the different types of wheels that can be used for output motors?

There are several types of wheels that can be used for output motors, including solid rubber wheels, pneumatic (air-filled) wheels, and polyurethane wheels. The type of wheel chosen will depend on the specific application and environment in which the motor will be used.

2. How do I choose the right size wheel for my output motor?

The size of the wheel needed for an output motor will depend on factors such as the weight of the load being moved, the speed of the motor, and the terrain it will be operating on. It is important to consult with a manufacturer or engineer to determine the appropriate wheel size for your specific motor.

3. Can I use any type of wheel with my output motor?

No, it is important to choose a wheel that is compatible with your output motor in terms of size, weight capacity, and other specifications. Using an incompatible wheel can cause damage to the motor and affect its performance.

4. How often should I replace the wheels on my output motor?

The frequency of wheel replacement will depend on the usage and conditions in which the output motor is being used. Generally, it is recommended to inspect and replace the wheels if they show signs of wear and tear, such as cracks, flat spots, or loss of tread.

5. Are there any special maintenance requirements for wheels on output motors?

It is important to regularly clean and lubricate the wheels on your output motor to ensure optimal performance and longevity. Additionally, monitoring the wheels for any signs of damage and replacing them as needed can help prevent larger issues and extend the life of the motor.