Tire Torque & Traction Force: Sprocket Attached to Rear Axel

In summary, tire torque and traction force play a crucial role in the performance of a vehicle's rear axle when a sprocket is attached. The torque from the engine is transmitted through the sprocket, which then creates a force on the tires. This force, known as traction, is what allows the vehicle to move forward or backward. The amount of torque and traction force can affect the acceleration, top speed, and overall handling of the vehicle. It is important to properly balance these forces to ensure optimal performance and safety.
Aashish sarode
my sprocket is rigidly attached to rear axel ,is there any difference in torque at sprocket and tire?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What do you get if you apply an angular momentum balance to the wheel?

Chestermiller said:
What do you get if you apply an angular momentum balance to the wheel?
will you please elaborate your question?

Or more basically, suppose you have some torque at the sprocket. Would you have to exert more or less rotating force at the tire to create that same torque at the sprocket? Remember that torque = force times radius.

OldYat47 said:
Or more basically, suppose you have some torque at the sprocket. Would you have to exert more or less rotating force at the tire to create that same torque at the sprocket? Remember that torque = force times radius.
less bcz torque =force*radius and in this case sprocket radius is less than that of wheels

Aashish sarode said:
will you please elaborate your question?
The sprocket torque minus the tire torque is equal to the wheel moment of inertia times the angular acceleration of the wheel. If the bike is not accelerating, then the sprocket torque is equal to the wheel torque. (I assume that by sprocket torque, you are referring to the torque applied by the chain to the sprocket).

Last edited:
Exactly. The farther you get from the center of rotation the less the torque. So the torque at the sprocket is not the same as the torque at the tire.

OldYat47 said:
Exactly. The farther you get from the center of rotation the less the torque. So the torque at the sprocket is not the same as the torque at the tire.
If the car isn't accelerating, it sure is the same. The moments (torques) must balance. Just take the wheel and attached sprocket as a free body.

[tex]T_{tire} = T_{sprocket} - I\alpha[/tex]
Where [itex]I[/itex] is the inertia of the sprocket-axle-wheel-tire assembly and [itex]\alpha[/itex] is the rotational acceleration of the assembly.

If there is no acceleration ([itex]\alpha = 0[/itex]), then the tire torque is exactly the same as the sprocket torque. Otherwise, in typical assembly, the inertia should be small enough to consider that they are both practically the same as well (although, not necessarily a negligible difference).

Likes Chestermiller
OldYat47 said:
The torque is absolutely the same. The force, however, is not, since as you pointed out earlier, torque is force multiplied by radius.

Likes Chestermiller
Chestermiller said:
The sprocket torque minus the tire torque is equal to the wheel not accelerating, then the sprocket torque is equal to the wheel torque. (I assume that by sprocket torque, you are referring to the torque applied by the chain to the sprocket).
power=torque*angular velocity , since p
Aashish sarode said:
less bcz torque =force*
cjl said:
The torque is absolutely the same. The force, however, is not, since as you pointed out earlier, torque is force multiplied by radius.
hmm ,power remains constant i.e power =torque *angular velocity ,angular velocity for sprocket and wheel is same so torque nust be equal. Thank u all.

Aashish sarode said:
hmm ,power remains constant i.e power =torque *angular velocity ,angular velocity for sprocket and wheel is same so torque nust be equal. Thank u all.

That is not always true, there can be losses between the sprocket and the wheel; friction at a bearing, losses through a CV joint, a dragging brake pad etc etc. Power still remains constant but not all of it makes it to the wheel:
Psprocket ≠ PWheel

Psprocket = PWheel + Pbearing losses PCV losses + Pany other losses

Whether these losses are small enough to be ignored depends on your system.

Likes Aashish sarode

1. What is tire torque and traction force?

Tire torque is the rotational force that a tire applies to the ground when a vehicle is in motion. Traction force is the grip or friction between the tire and the ground that allows the vehicle to move forward.

2. How does a sprocket attached to the rear axle affect tire torque and traction force?

A sprocket attached to the rear axle increases tire torque and traction force by providing more power and leverage to the tires. This allows for better acceleration and grip on the road.

3. What factors influence tire torque and traction force?

The weight of the vehicle, the type and condition of the tires, the road conditions, and the power and torque of the engine are all factors that can influence tire torque and traction force.

4. How does tire pressure affect tire torque and traction force?

Tire pressure can greatly affect tire torque and traction force. Over-inflated tires can reduce traction by reducing the surface area of the tire in contact with the ground, while under-inflated tires can decrease tire torque and grip on the road.

5. How can I improve tire torque and traction force?

Regular maintenance of tires, such as keeping them properly inflated and replacing worn tires, can improve tire torque and traction force. Additionally, using tires with a tread design and rubber compound specifically designed for improved grip can also enhance tire torque and traction force.