TMS320F28035 bootloading to SD card

• Thread starter haxor489
  • Start date
  • Tags
    sd
In summary: I just had to rename it to .exe and drop it on the SD card. Additionally, if I want to change any of the OTP values, I need to write a new program and load it into the flash.
haxor489
I'm using a TMS320F28035 (TI -piccolo series) microcontroller and it came to my attention that the chip only has about 128KB of flash memory and the binaries for my main program are easily 150KB or larger. So that's where my SD dilemma comes in. The documentation (section 2.1)

http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/sprugo0a/sprugo0a.pdf

shows that it has bootloading software that only needs the TRST line to be low and then specify the bootmode using 2 GPIO pins, I'd be using "GetMode" (section 3.3.9)

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/sprs584i/sprs584i.pdf

By default Get Mode goes to flash but I can specify the SD interface, one of the serial interfaces I can't remember at the moment probably SPI, by setting the OTP values (OTP_KEY, OTP_BMODE) appropriately. Their locations are given and values necessary as well for the desired bootmode.

My Questions:

1 - The lines that state that "the boot ROM will load code and data into on-chip memory from an external... " makes me think that it simply loads everything it can fit onto flash memory which isn't the entire program. Am I wrong in my assumption if is it possible to run the program from the SD card or does it have to fit in the flash?

2 - In order to set the OTP values, do I have to write a program and load that into the flash and run it to make those changes and will they stick on the next reset ?

3 - Does the program have to be formatted in a special format or can I simply take the binaries generated from Code Composer Studio and drop that onto the SD?

Thanks for any help you can provide

Engineering news on Phys.org
Turns out running the program from the SD is incredibly difficult, but luckily CCS's output file .out under the binaries folder isn't the actual program size.

1. What is "TMS320F28035 bootloading"?

"TMS320F28035 bootloading" refers to the process of loading or updating the software on a TMS320F28035 microcontroller through a specific bootloading mode. This allows for easy and quick firmware updates without the need for additional equipment or hardware.

2. What is an SD card and why is it used in bootloading?

An SD card, or Secure Digital card, is a type of memory card commonly used to store and transfer data in electronic devices. In the case of bootloading, an SD card is used to store the new firmware that will be loaded onto the TMS320F28035 microcontroller. This allows for a portable and easily accessible means of updating the firmware.

3. How do I perform a bootloading to SD card on a TMS320F28035 microcontroller?

To perform a bootloading to SD card on a TMS320F28035 microcontroller, you will need to follow specific steps provided by the manufacturer. This typically involves setting the microcontroller to bootloading mode, formatting the SD card to the correct file system, and then copying the firmware onto the SD card. Once the SD card is inserted into the microcontroller, the firmware will be automatically loaded onto the device.

4. What are the advantages of using bootloading to SD card on a TMS320F28035 microcontroller?

Bootloading to SD card offers several advantages over traditional methods of firmware updating. It eliminates the need for additional hardware or equipment, making it a cost-effective option. It also allows for quick and easy firmware updates, without the need to physically connect the microcontroller to a computer. Additionally, using an SD card for bootloading offers portability and flexibility in updating the firmware on multiple devices.

5. Are there any limitations or precautions to consider when using bootloading to SD card on a TMS320F28035 microcontroller?

While bootloading to SD card can be a convenient and efficient method of firmware updating, there are some limitations and precautions to keep in mind. The SD card must be formatted correctly and have enough storage space to hold the firmware. Additionally, there may be compatibility issues with certain SD card brands or types. It is important to carefully follow the manufacturer's instructions and perform a thorough test before implementing bootloading to SD card in a production setting.