To focus on general GRE Writing?

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of GRE writing scores for physics grad school programs and the level of preparation needed for the Writing sections. The speaker mentions their previous experience with the GRE and their concerns about their writing score. They also mention their current academic standing and the potential impact of their GRE scores. The other person offers their observations and advice on how to improve the writing score.
Seirios
Hi all,

Maybe most people would say that physics grad schools (PhD) programs don't care about your GRE writing score, but I have a sort of quick question: how much effort should I put into the Writing sections.

I took my first GRE earlier this month, but messed up both of my writing sections, because I had significantly less sleep the night earlier, did not have enough coffee, tested early morning, and did not realize the writing section was an hour at the beginning (I really didn't prepare a lot for the test = =...). For both sections my time was up when my essay was literally half done and half an itemized draft. So let's say I would only get a ~2 for my writing.

My question: I am already registered for another General GRE test in early August. Of course I don't expect to be a shipwreck again during my writing sections, and I do plan to spend time on the writing sections. However, I am doing a summer research that may take up a lot of time, so I was wondering, should I be sure to pay extra effort for the writing section to practice for some prompts, etc.?

I got a 166 for V and a 167 for Q iirc, so I am much less worried about these two. However, I am not sure what would be a good score for a competitive PhD program. I see some schools list 3.5 as the minimum, but wasn't sure if such a score would be seen as a good one. As a rising senior my GPA is overall 0.4~0.5 worse than I would like due to life reasons beyond my control, so I am a bit more worried about GREs right now.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From my observations, schools don't care about the general GRE unless you did so poorly that it raises questions about your abilities in basic math, and reading/writing. Your math and verbal scores are fine, but you definitely need to bring up your writing score so it as at least acceptable (definitely above the 50th percentile, probably more like 60th). However, it's hard to say how much you should prepare since it's different for everyone. Some people can do very well on the GRE (including the writing) with very little to no preparation, others need to study a good amount. I think the best thing you could do is to look at several sample prompts and examples of scored essays to see what they are looking for.

1. What is the format of the GRE Writing section?

The GRE Writing section consists of two tasks: an Analyze an Issue task and an Analyze an Argument task. Each task requires test-takers to write an essay responding to a prompt within 30 minutes. The essays are scored on a scale of 0-6, with 0.5-point increments.

2. How can I prepare for the GRE Writing section?

To prepare for the GRE Writing section, you should practice writing essays within the time limit and get feedback from others. You can also review sample essay prompts and scoring criteria provided by ETS, the organization that administers the GRE. Additionally, you can take a preparation course or use study materials specifically designed for the GRE Writing section.

3. What are the common mistakes to avoid in the GRE Writing section?

Some common mistakes to avoid in the GRE Writing section include not fully understanding the prompt, not providing enough supporting evidence, and not effectively addressing counterarguments. It is also important to use proper grammar and syntax, as well as to avoid cliches and overly informal language.

4. How is the GRE Writing section scored?

The GRE Writing section is scored holistically by two readers. Each reader gives a score from 0-6, and the two scores are averaged. If there is a significant discrepancy between the two scores, a third reader will evaluate the essay. The final score is the average of the two closest scores.

5. Can I use a template or pre-written essay for the GRE Writing section?

No, it is not recommended to use a template or pre-written essay for the GRE Writing section. Each prompt is unique and requires a specific response, so using a pre-written essay may not fully address the prompt. Additionally, using a template may result in a lower score, as it may not fully showcase your ability to think critically and develop a unique argument.