Tollens' test on Alpha hydroxy ketones

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter Prabs3257
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alpha Test
In summary, alpha hydroxy ketones undergo tautomerism to form aldehydes, making them reactive with Tollens reagent. However, non-terminal alpha hydroxy ketones may also be oxidized to diones under mild conditions, potentially through a different mechanism. Further experimentation is needed to determine if Tollens reagent can effectively oxidize non-terminal alpha hydroxy ketones.
Prabs3257
Homework Statement
can all alpha hydroxy ketones give tollens test or only those in which hydroxy group is on the terminal carbon ??
Relevant Equations
Tautomerism
I know its because of tautomerism that they form an aldehyde group because of which they give the test but can all alpha hydroxy ketones give tollens test or only those in which hydroxy group is on the terminal carbon ??

Physics news on Phys.org
This is kind of a tricky question. You are right that terminal alpha hydroxy ketones will tautomerize to aldehydes which are reactive with the Tollens reagent, and non-terminal ones don’t exhibit that tautomerism. However, from personal experience, non-terminal alpha hydroxy ketones also tend to be fairly straightforward to oxidize (to diones) under mild conditions. I’ve never tried oxidizing them specifically with Tollens’ reagent, but I know copper(II) will do the trick, so I can imagine silver(I) might as well. Normally, this would be a 5 minute experiment: I’d just walk into lab, whip up a batch of Tollens’ reagent, and toss in some benzoin, but these aren’t normal times and I don’t know when I’ll be able to get back into lab.
So you’re right in the tautomerism part, but it’s possible that the oxidation could still proceed through a different mechanism even with non-terminal alpha hydroxy ketones.

1. What is Tollens' test on Alpha hydroxy ketones?

Tollens' test is a chemical test used to identify the presence of alpha hydroxy ketones in a given sample. It involves the reaction of the alpha hydroxy ketone with Tollens' reagent, which is a solution of silver nitrate and ammonia. This reaction results in the formation of a silver mirror on the inner surface of the test tube, indicating the presence of an alpha hydroxy ketone.

2. How does Tollens' test differentiate between alpha and beta hydroxy ketones?

Tollens' test is specific for alpha hydroxy ketones because the reaction only occurs with the alpha carbon atom, which is directly attached to the carbonyl group. This results in the formation of a silver mirror, whereas beta hydroxy ketones do not react with Tollens' reagent and do not produce a silver mirror.

3. What are the limitations of Tollens' test on Alpha hydroxy ketones?

Tollens' test is not specific for alpha hydroxy ketones and can also react with aldehydes, reducing sugars, and other compounds containing active hydrogen atoms. Additionally, the test may give false positive results if the sample contains large amounts of reducing agents or if the reaction conditions are not carefully controlled.

4. How is Tollens' test performed on Alpha hydroxy ketones?

To perform the test, a small amount of the sample is mixed with Tollens' reagent and heated in a test tube. The formation of a silver mirror on the inner surface of the test tube indicates a positive result for the presence of an alpha hydroxy ketone. The test can also be performed on a solid sample by dissolving it in a suitable solvent and then adding Tollens' reagent.

5. What are the applications of Tollens' test on Alpha hydroxy ketones?

Tollens' test is commonly used in organic chemistry laboratories to identify and distinguish between different types of carbonyl compounds, including alpha hydroxy ketones. It can also be used in the production of silver mirrors for decorative purposes. Additionally, Tollens' test can be used in the detection of reducing sugars in food and beverages, such as glucose and fructose.