Tom Delay sentenced to 3 years in prison

• News
  • Thread starter Jack21222
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Delay Years
In summary: I agree completely, and Trafficant was a HUUUUUUUUUGE crook. I think Delay was mostly caught doing something many did at the time... I dislike him, so I have little pity, but I don't disagree
Jack21222
http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/politics/entries/2011/01/10/delay_appears_in_court.html?cxntcid=breaking_news

The three-year sentence was on the charge of conspiring to launder corporate money into political donations during the 2002 elections.

If we started sending more politicians to jail, perhaps they'd be more honest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jack21222 said:
http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/politics/entries/2011/01/10/delay_appears_in_court.html?cxntcid=breaking_news

Honest or careful? I just heard Charlie Rangel taking the high ground on an issue.:rolleyes: We need term limits in the House and much closer scrutiny of the finances of Senators - IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's possible that a few people got themselves elected thinking they'd get rich accepting bribes and seeing a few Congressmen go to prison would discourage them.

I think most of the people in Congress run for office for legitimate reasons and most of their crimes tends to be overvaluing their own person and deciding someone as good as them deserves more perqs than the average person. For those types, the descent from respected national leader to the humliation of resigning in disgrace will have more of an impact than any prison sentence they might receive - well, at least until the prison sentence actually begins and they realize that kind of sucks, too. But the 'disgrace' aspect is the part that would have the biggest influence on other Congressmen.

BobG said:
It's possible that a few people got themselves elected thinking they'd get rich accepting bribes and seeing a few Congressmen go to prison would discourage them.

I think most of the people in Congress run for office for legitimate reasons and most of their crimes tends to be overvaluing their own person and deciding someone as good as them deserves more perqs than the average person. For those types, the descent from respected national leader to the humliation of resigning in disgrace will have more of an impact than any prison sentence they might receive - well, at least until the prison sentence actually begins and they realize that kind of sucks, too. But the 'disgrace' aspect is the part that would have the biggest influence on other Congressmen.

Let's face it, constant fundraising (and term to term to term) is bad.

WhoWee said:
Let's face it, constant fundraising (and term to term to term) is bad.

It is indeed... not the only bad thing, but it's corrosive and nasty for politics and really always has been.

To Tom Delay: Take care in prison big guy! Remember to keep it shut, where the turds are cut. :biggrin:

nismaratwork said:
To Tom Delay: Take care in prison big guy! Remember to keep it shut, where the turds are cut. :biggrin:

I don't think he's going to "the big house".

WhoWee said:

Hence the humor... I think it's safe to say that his prison will be a country club of course, and for practical reasons it would be a waste of money to place him in Pelican Bay or the like.

Still, if you can't have a laugh at he image of Tom Delay losing his precious... um... maidenhood... to a giant syphilitic rapist named Bubba "Corndog" Skeeterson... what can you laugh at?!

Right now he doesn't, "feel remorse", because he, "doesn't believe he did anything wrong." I think 3 years of such a controlling and formerly powerful man from when he sleeps and eats, to where he goes in his PRISON... will do plenty to his psyche. Works for me!

nismaratwork said:
Hence the humor... I think it's safe to say that his prison will be a country club of course, and for practical reasons it would be a waste of money to place him in Pelican Bay or the like.

Still, if you can't have a laugh at he image of Tom Delay losing his precious... um... maidenhood... to a giant syphilitic rapist named Bubba "Corndog" Skeeterson... what can you laugh at?!

Right now he doesn't, "feel remorse", because he, "doesn't believe he did anything wrong." I think 3 years of such a controlling and formerly powerful man from when he sleeps and eats, to where he goes in his PRISON... will do plenty to his psyche. Works for me!

On the other hand, I seem to recall that Jim Trafficant served his time in some uncomfortable places? To be honest, I don't think Delay was the worst of the bunch. He was definitely careless, but if his intent was fraud and theft - the amounts are peanuts.

Last edited:
WhoWee said:
On the other hand, I seem to recall that Jim Trafficant served his time in some uncomfortable places? To be honest, I don't think Delay was the worst of the bunch. He was definitely careless, but if his intent was fraud and theft - the amounts are peanuts.

I agree completely, and Trafficant was a HUUUUUUUUUGE crook. I think Delay was mostly caught doing something many did at the time... I dislike him, so I have little pity, but I don't disagree with the facts.

Trafficant... what a piece of work... Rangle too. I'm always impressed by the balls on these crooks, whatever side of the isle, have when they stand up and declare their innocence.

Hell, if we want to talk about BIG, how about that bunch that drove a (town? county?) into near if not total, BANKRUPTCY through their inflated salaries?! That's absolutely incredible, "Yeah, hey... we write our own paychecks, right? LETS ADD some Zeroes!" :rolleyes:

Let's see, Delay was convicted of a crime and the judge agreed with the conviction.

On the other hand, even the prosecutor for Rangle said there was no evidence of intentional wrongdoing. He was also allowed to continue serving in Congress; as opposed to being sent up the river.

Yeah, they are clearly two peas in a pod. :rolleyes:

Here is the real lesson here: Delay was a real crook and he got caught. The rest is just rationalizations.

WhoWee said:

At least not any time soon. He's free on bond until his appeal completes the cycle. Eight years and the initial trial is finally complete - now starts the appeals process. It'll be a while yet before he ever sees any kind of prison.

BobG said:
At least not any time soon. He's free on bond until his appeal completes the cycle. Eight years and the initial trial is finally complete - now starts the appeals process. It'll be a while yet before he ever sees any kind of prison.
He'll drag it out for years in the appeal process. No prison for DeLay. More likely a form of house arrest or time in a nursing home, due to some "medical" condition, IMO.

Ivan Seeking said:
On the other hand, even the prosecutor for Rangle said there was no evidence of intentional wrongdoing. He was also allowed to continue serving in Congress; as opposed to being sent up the river.

Are you referring to R. Blake Chisam?
"But he did not come across as being overstimulated, despite the task that awaits him. Beginning Monday, Mr. Chisam will serve as de facto prosecutor in two House ethics trials, first against Representative Charles B. Rangel, Democrat of New York, and then Representative Maxine Waters, Democrat of California.

Leaning back in his chair, Mr. Chisam offered a brief insight into his life as the staff director and chief counsel to the House Committee on Standards of Official Conduct, speaking circumspectly in a soft trickle of words that often trailed off into silence.

The committee counsel’s job is not so much to prosecute as to make the burden of proof,” he said last week. “The investigative subcommittee sent the committee a statement of alleged violation, and that’s what I’m advocating on behalf of.”

As the staff director, Mr. Chisam oversees the day-to-day operations of the committee. The committee provides ethics training to every staff member on the Hill at least once a year, offers formal and informal advice to members and staff regarding questions about ethics and conduct, reviews and certifies financial disclosure statements, and approves all privately sponsored, officially connected travel."
my bold

Jack21222 said:

Jack, you're making sense! That's a dangerous thing...

Ivan Seeking said:
Let's see, Delay was convicted of a crime and the judge agreed with the conviction.

Yeah, they are clearly two peas in a pod. :rolleyes:

Here is the real lesson here: Delay was a real crook and he got caught. The rest is just rationalizations.

They're both politicians who betrayed their oaths and trust of the public for personal gain. I don't believe that a man as seemingly competent and (formerly?!) bright as Rangle could be so profoundly ignorant of laws he helped to oversee. I don't think any two crooks are peas in a pod, even sociopaths have granularity, but when it comes to corruption in political office, why does ignorance become a defense?... it isn't for any other citizen.

Jack: HELL yes, and to reference an earlier point (a term I love), don't make it the Big House, but it doesn't need to be a country club either.

edit: I just realized, we could debate Delay (sumbag) and Rangle (corrupt... I don't seee him as scum), but what about Trafficant? Surely we can agree that as criminals go, politics was secondary to his primary endevour.

Last edited:
If he looses all the appeal how long before he is eligible for parole? Three month in Danbury minimum security prison?

How much money did he take? How many dollars per hour does that work out to?

PhilKravitz said:
If he looses all the appeal how long before he is eligible for parole? Three month in Danbury minimum security prison?

How much money did he take? How many dollars per hour does that work out to?

Did you see the look on his face when he was being led out of court? I think it was worth it... *vindictive*

Related to Tom Delay sentenced to 3 years in prison

1. What crime was Tom Delay sentenced to prison for?

Tom Delay was sentenced to prison for money laundering and conspiracy to commit money laundering.

2. How long will Tom Delay be in prison?

Tom Delay was sentenced to 3 years in prison, but he may be eligible for parole after serving at least half of his sentence.

3. Did Tom Delay plead guilty to the charges?

No, Tom Delay maintained his innocence and went to trial. He was found guilty by a jury in November 2010.

4. Will Tom Delay appeal the sentence?

It is unclear if Tom Delay will appeal the sentence. His legal team has stated they are considering all options.

5. Has Tom Delay served any time in prison before?

No, this is the first time Tom Delay will serve time in prison. He has been out on bail since his conviction in 2010.

Back