Tom Petty: Music Icon & Rock Legend RIP

• Music
  • Thread starter DennisN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    music rip
In summary, Tom Petty, iconic rock musician and leader of the Heartbreakers, has passed away at the age of 66. Known for his hits such as "Don't Come Around Here No More" and "Free Fallin'", he was a well-respected and loved artist in the music industry. Despite the recent trend of sudden heart failure deaths among celebrities, it is uncertain if this was the cause of his passing. Fans are mourning the loss of a legend and sharing their favorite songs, memories, and condolences.
DennisN
Gold Member
2023 Award
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tom-petty-rock-iconoclast-who-led-the-heartbreakers-dead-at-66-w506651
330px-Tom_Petty_2010.jpg

He did some amazing songs.

Don't Come Around Here No More (1985)

Free Fallin' (1989)

Don't Come Around Here No More (Live, 2006)

Science news on Phys.org
Sorry to see him go, and at such a relatively (to me) young age.

Great songs, saw him live a few times at music festivals. RIP

Sad to hear this. I really enjoyed his music.

I always liked this song by Petty. I may just be what woke me up to him in the 80's, but I always thought it was a great bring in the summer fun kind of song:

Why do all of the peoples in my generation seem to be croaking from sudden heart failure lately? Is this diagnosis just a euphemism for either drug overdose or "death by misadventure" from years of chemical abuse? I'm not saying Tom Petty was doing this, but a lot of other celebrities and artists were. It's very easy and routine to check heart conditions these days with doppler ultrasound and many other techniques. So I'm not buying the sudden heart failure zeitgeist that seems to be the new norm. It seems to me just be a convenient cover for some more complicated other-goings.

Last edited:
I was so sad to see the news. I grew up listening to Tom Petty so his music is permanently imprinted in my mind. I still have my autographed cassette cover of Full Moon Fever, and "The Waiting" is the ringtone on my cell phone.

RIP Mr. Petty. Loss of a legend.

DiracPool said:
Why do all of the peoples in my generation seem to be croaking from sudden heart failure lately?
It might be your imagination.

2017.10.04.heart.disease.rock.and.rollers.vs.general.population.png

sources:
General population: wikipedia graph and my eyeballing
Rock & Roll crowd: wikipedia and my eyeballing

My favorite Tom Petty song:

Singing with peers, friends, and knowing how to live life.

ps. Note to whoever survives me: Please have them play this song at my funeral. This is a grand, old person, glad I didn't wait for the phone to ring song.
pps. Godspeed, Tom. :heart:

Another great track:

Likes OmCheeto
One more I just remembered...

Likes QuantumQuest
My favorite live clip:

Likes QuantumQuest
Bad news. Drags my heart around ( and , particularly, down).

What are some of Tom Petty's most famous songs?

Tom Petty had many hit songs throughout his career, including "Free Fallin'", "American Girl", "I Won't Back Down", "Don't Do Me Like That", and "Learning to Fly".

What bands was Tom Petty a part of?

Tom Petty was the lead singer and guitarist for the band Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, as well as the supergroup The Traveling Wilburys.

When did Tom Petty pass away?

Tom Petty passed away on October 2, 2017 at the age of 66.

What awards did Tom Petty win in his career?

Tom Petty won three Grammy Awards, including Best Male Rock Vocal Performance for "You Don't Know How It Feels" and Best Long Form Music Video for "Runnin' Down a Dream". He also received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

What impact did Tom Petty have on the music industry?

Tom Petty was a highly influential musician, known for his catchy and relatable songs. He brought a unique blend of rock, folk, and country to his music, and inspired many other artists. His legacy continues to live on through his timeless music.