Too Many classes? (math major with a concentration in Pre-Medicine)

In summary: But that’s just a guess.In summary, if you can fit it in, taking calculus 2 and 3 together might be a good idea. However, it depends on your school's scheduling and availability.
Roy c
I am a math major with a concentration in Pre-Medicine and I am setting up my program for next year. I was wondering if taking Bio w/ a lab, Chem w/ a lab, Calc II and Linear algebra is just an unrealistic idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
It has been done before. Whether it is realistic or not depends on how good you are. This might be a test of that. Learning is only part of the so called College Experience. Finding out how good you are is another important part.

Likes opus
What is your advice on taking calculus 2 and 3 together ? My school is very limited and only offers it once a year apparently

Roy c said:
taking calculus 2 and 3 together ?
Is Calc 2 integral calculus and Calc 3 differential equations?

Roy c said:
What is your advice on taking calculus 2 and 3 together ? My school is very limited and only offers it once a year apparently
I wouldn't do it. In most, if not all, schools Calc. I, II and III are a single course offered over the span of three terms. If you are in a hurry, take Calc. II at some other school near you, if you can. As a premed, you also have to take the introductory physics sequence. How would that fit into your scheme?

Likes berkeman
Roy c said:
I am a math major with a concentration in Pre-Medicine and I am setting up my program for next year. I was wondering if taking Bio w/ a lab, Chem w/ a lab, Calc II and Linear algebra is just an unrealistic idea.

It depends on what you're taking for your fifth class, I suppose. Provided it's another first year course, you should be fine.

Well my school is not giving me any Leeway here. I was going to take calc II and linear, but they only offer calc 3 once a year. So I’m trying to fit my needed classes so I can take diff and linear than modern algebra and prob theory. As well as all of the classes for premed. For physics I will be taking that next summer both intro and part two .

Roy c said:
Bad. Study Calculus 2 FIRST, do well in it, and restudy on your own if necessary; and then study Calculus 3. You need to understand, Calculus 2 is a prerequisite for Calculus 3.

berkeman said:
Is Calc 2 integral calculus and Calc 3 differential equations?
Maybe? where you are attending. My previous statement might not fit your given situation. Normally one expects this:
Calc 1 - limits and derivatives, and introduction to integration
Calc 2 - techniques of integration, some heavy detail about sequences & series
Calc 3 - multivariable calculus

That’s pretty much what I am looking at. My issue is my college is very limited , me being one of 4 math majors in the entire school. And I can’t afford to miss a class, due to Mcat restraints. But if highly advised against, I will try to possibly take linear.

Roy c said:
That’s pretty much what I am looking at. My issue is my college is very limited , me being one of 4 math majors in the entire school. And I can’t afford to miss a class, due to Mcat restraints. But if highly advised against, I will try to possibly take linear.
That might work. I'm not so sure that "Calculus 3" as I currently aware of it to be, is really necessary for Linear Algebra. Still, do the Calculus 2 course, if at all possible, before Linear Algebra.

Calc 3 is multi variable, I was told since the classes are small the professors would work together to teach second and third integration and and than go on they’re separate paths

What is the importance of having a concentration in Pre-Medicine for a math major?

A concentration in Pre-Medicine for a math major is important because it allows students to gain a strong foundation in both mathematics and science, which are essential skills for any career in the medical field. It also prepares students for the rigorous coursework and problem-solving skills required in medical school.

How many classes are typically required for a math major with a concentration in Pre-Medicine?

The number of classes required for a math major with a concentration in Pre-Medicine can vary depending on the specific program and university. However, on average, students can expect to take around 8-10 math courses and 5-7 science courses, along with general education requirements.

Is it common for math majors to also pursue a concentration in Pre-Medicine?

While it may not be the most common combination, it is not uncommon for math majors to also have a concentration in Pre-Medicine. In fact, many medical schools are looking for well-rounded students with diverse backgrounds in addition to strong academic performance.

Are there any benefits to having a concentration in Pre-Medicine for a math major?

Yes, there are several benefits to having a concentration in Pre-Medicine for a math major. This combination of skills can make students more competitive for medical school and future career opportunities. It also provides a unique perspective and problem-solving approach that can be beneficial in the medical field.

What career opportunities are available for math majors with a concentration in Pre-Medicine?

A math major with a concentration in Pre-Medicine can open up a variety of career opportunities, including medical research, healthcare administration, biostatistics, and data analysis in the medical field. Additionally, this combination can also lead to a career as a physician or surgeon with a strong background in mathematics.