Top Books for Learning Matlab: Beginner to Advanced Level with Java Knowledge

In summary: Engineering+AdvMATLAB+Fall2017/aboutIn summary, a beginner may want to use one of the following books to learn MATLAB: "MatLab: A introduction with applications" by Amos Gilat, "Learning MATLAB" by David S. Goodrich, or "MATLAB for Engineers, Second Edition" by W. T. Freeman.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I've recently started to learn MATLAB (self-study). I first tried to learn by an app on Google Play, and work out the examples on the Matlab app. But the app is very bad, and I can't understand anything after a while.

What books can I use for learning Matlab? I have a good knowledge on Java programming (I can make applets, swing programs but not beans and server connections). Keeping that in mind, which book should I use to guide me from a beginner level to an advanced level?

N.B.: Please pardon me if this is off-topic here. I had seen a few months back that someone had asked for books on C, which was received well. If this is off-topic, I request the mentors, moderators and administrators to delete this thread.

Likes bellesbarbara
Physics news on Phys.org
there are numerous tutorials online, MATLAB is easy to learn if you just go out and investigate. Google is your friend...

Likes Wrichik Basu
StoneTemplePython said:
This may be too advanced, but I noticed that Stanford has an advanced MATLAB course being offered, starting in a week or so. In general the content from Stanford is extremely good, and the course is free so you may want to take a look. (If you have to drop you can always rejoin later)

https://lagunita.stanford.edu/courses/course-v1:Engineering+AdvMATLAB+Fall2017/about
That's great, but you know what, I don't even have a licensed copy to learn Matlab. I try out mainly on the android app. Can't pay so much currently. Maybe later. :sorry: If videos are made available in youtube for future views, it'll be great.:smile:

StoneTemplePython said:
This may be too advanced, but I noticed that Stanford has an advanced MATLAB course being offered, starting in a week or so. In general the content from Stanford is extremely good, and the course is free so you may want to take a look. (If you have to drop you can always rejoin later)

https://lagunita.stanford.edu/courses/course-v1:Engineering+AdvMATLAB+Fall2017/about
Will this course cover simulink also?
It's not understood from the topics that it will be covered:
MATLAB topics will be drawn from: advanced graphics (2D/3D plotting, graphics handles, publication quality graphics, animation), MATLAB tools (debugger, profiler), code optimization (vectorization, memory management), object-oriented programming, compiled MATLAB (MEX files and MATLAB coder), interfacing with external programs, toolboxes (optimization, parallel computing, symbolic math, PDEs).

BTW is there any free course for pspice? I tried reading some outdated book on it, and it was hard reading it, not my cup of cola.

Wrichik Basu said:
That's great, but you know what, I don't even have a licensed copy to learn Matlab. I try out mainly on the android app. Can't pay so much currently. Maybe later. :sorry: If videos are made available in youtube for future views, it'll be great.:smile:

You might be able to get away with using Octave (which is free) and following the course. It's up to you to experiment if you're so interested.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
Will this course cover simulink also?
It's not understood from the topics that it will be covered:

I think the course is new and the syllabus is what I'd go on.

I don't care much for Matlab to be honest, but Stanford's online stuff is really really good -- my second favorite after MIT. It pays to keep an eye on what they're offering.

1. What is Matlab and why is it useful for learning Java?

Matlab is a high-level programming language and interactive environment commonly used in scientific and engineering applications. It is useful for learning Java because it has a similar syntax and structure, making it easier to transition from Matlab to Java. Additionally, Matlab has built-in functions and tools that can assist with learning Java concepts such as data manipulation and visualization.

2. Can beginners use "Top Books for Learning Matlab" or is it meant for advanced users?

Both beginners and advanced users can benefit from "Top Books for Learning Matlab". The books cover a wide range of topics, starting from the basics of Matlab to more advanced techniques. They also include Java knowledge, making them useful for those looking to learn both Matlab and Java simultaneously.

3. How can learning Matlab improve my scientific research or work?

Learning Matlab can greatly improve your scientific research or work by providing a powerful tool for data analysis, visualization, and modeling. It allows for efficient processing of large datasets and has a variety of built-in functions for statistical analysis and algorithm development. Matlab can also be used for creating interactive simulations and prototypes.

4. Are there any prerequisites for using "Top Books for Learning Matlab"?

While there are no specific prerequisites for using "Top Books for Learning Matlab", a basic understanding of programming concepts and familiarity with Java may be helpful. However, the books are designed to be accessible for beginners and provide step-by-step guidance for learning Matlab and Java.

5. Can I use "Top Books for Learning Matlab" for self-study or is it better suited for a classroom setting?

"Top Books for Learning Matlab" can be used for both self-study and in a classroom setting. The books are comprehensive and include exercises and examples to practice and reinforce concepts. They also come with online resources such as video tutorials and coding challenges to enhance the learning experience. However, having an instructor or mentor to guide you through the material can also be beneficial.