Top Free FORTRAN Compiler for CFD Applications

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a free and reliable FORTRAN compiler for CFD applications. The recommendations for gfortran and Plato are mentioned, as well as the option to purchase a compiler from Intel. The option of Simply Fortran, which charges a reasonable fee for their services, is also brought up. The final recommendation is g95 for its ease of use and ability to create stand alone exe files.
Aero51
Hey PF, I'm looking for a free and reliable compiler for FORTRAN; the application will be for CFD. Unlike C++, FORTRAN compilers seem harder to find. If anyone can provide some insight besides "do a google search" that would be great, thanks.

Technology news on Phys.org
I've had a course on numerical analysis where we used fortran. A free compiler that they told us to get at home is gfortran. I think it may be the standard free fortran compiler.

I found that compiler after about 2 hours of searching. The download file is in .bz format of which I have no idea how to open.

Aero51 said:
I found that compiler after about 2 hours of searching. The download file is in .bz format of which I have no idea how to open.

I've done a quick google research, it seems that you can extract the .bz2 file using the program 7-zip (free, that you can download here: http://www.7-zip.org/).

I actually downloaded a compiler for FORTRAN 95, Plato. Ill probably check this one out too since it has 2003 updates. Thanks for the help.

You can look for compilers for your platform at The Fortran Company.

If you are Windows a nice choice I learned of lately is Simply Fortran. As we know, you cannot close open source or charge for free source, nevertheless, you may charge for the service of compiling it, collecting it, delivering it on media, making it easier to install...the way I see, the people at Simply Fortran are doing that and then some...they are also providing a GUI of their own. In any case, I think $25 is a reasonable fee; heck, some text editors may cost that much and they don't come with a Fortran compiler.

my 2 cents

gsal

P.S. ...no, I am not related to Simply Fortran in anyway

With a weekly budget of $100, $25 isn't cheap!

Aero51 said:
With a weekly budget of $100, $25 isn't cheap!

I just want to second the suggestion for g95. http://www.g95.org/downloads.shtml

- Free and without and "nags"

- Easy one file windows self extracting download. (g95-MiniGW.exe)

- Will create "stand alone" exe files (that run without needing extra libraries installed).

Definitely worth giving this one a try.

1. What is a FORTRAN compiler?

A FORTRAN compiler is a software tool that translates programs written in the FORTRAN programming language into machine code that can be understood and executed by a computer. It is an essential tool for developers who want to create programs using the FORTRAN language.

2. Why is it important to have a top free FORTRAN compiler for CFD applications?

Having a top free FORTRAN compiler for CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) applications is important because it allows developers to create efficient and accurate programs for simulating fluid flow. FORTRAN is a high-performance language that is well-suited for CFD applications, and a top free compiler ensures that developers have access to the latest tools and features without having to pay for them.

3. What are some popular free FORTRAN compilers for CFD applications?

Some popular free FORTRAN compilers for CFD applications include GNU Fortran, G95, and Flang. These compilers are widely used and have a strong community of developers who actively contribute to their development and improvement.

4. What features should I look for in a top free FORTRAN compiler for CFD applications?

When choosing a top free FORTRAN compiler for CFD applications, it is important to look for features such as support for modern FORTRAN versions, efficient optimization techniques, compatibility with different operating systems, and good documentation and support. It is also helpful to read reviews and compare the features of different compilers to find the best fit for your specific needs.

5. Can I use a free FORTRAN compiler for commercial purposes?

Yes, many free FORTRAN compilers can be used for commercial purposes, as long as you comply with the terms and conditions of the specific compiler's license. It is important to read the license carefully before using a free FORTRAN compiler for commercial applications.