Topological Basis in l2 Space: Why?

I think the terminology "topological basis" is not so bad, since we are talking about a basis in the sense of a complete set of functions with respect to a topology.Hmm, I think I disagree with your interpretation. I think that the term "topological basis" is being used in a more general sense, not restricted to function spaces, to mean something like "a set of elements that can be used to approximate any element in a space". This is different from a Hamel basis, which is a linearly independent set that spans the space (ie, a basis in the usual sense).I think that the term "topological basis" is being used in a more general sense, not restricted to function spaces, to mean something
LagrangeEuler
Why in ##l_2## space basis ##|1 \rangle=[1 \; 0 \; 0 ...]^{\mathsf{T}}##,
##|2 \rangle=[0 \; 1 \; 0 ...]^{\mathsf{T}}##, ##|3 \rangle=[0 \; 0 \; 1 \; 0...]^{\mathsf{T}}##... is called topological basis?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because, not every vector in ##l_2## is a finite linear combination of these basis vectors. Some are infnite combinations, convergence is needed, hence topological.

Likes member 587159
martinbn said:
Because, not every vector in ##l_2## is a finite linear combination of these basis vectors. Some are infnite combinations, convergence is needed, hence topological.
But they are not open, aren't they? And they aren't suited as a basis for closed sets. Your argument shows, that they cannot be a vector space basis since we needed finite linear combinations. Any open set is a union of ##|n\rangle ##, however, they are not part of the topology except for the discrete.

fresh_42 said:
But they are not open, aren't they? And they aren't suited as a basis for closed sets. Your argument shows, that they cannot be a vector space basis since we needed finite linear combinations. Any open set is a union of ##|n\rangle ##, however, they are not part of the topology except for the discrete.
What I meant is that if you take the span of those vectors you don't get the whole space you need to take the closer of the span.

I think that this is an abuse of language. Those vectors do not constitute a topological basis, neither do they constitute a vector space basis. My assumption is therefore that the author uses topological basis in contrast to vector space basis, in order to get rid of the finiteness constriction of vector space bases, but they are neither.

They generate the direct product (not direct sum!) ##\ell_2=\mathbb{R}|1\rangle \times \mathbb{R}|2\rangle \times \mathbb{R}|3\rangle \times \ldots ##. To call it a topological basis is plain wrong in my opinion.

Likes member 587159
fresh_42 said:
I think that this is an abuse of language. Those vectors do not constitute a topological basis, neither do they constitute a vector space basis. My assumption is therefore that the author uses topological basis in contrast to vector space basis, in order to get rid of the finiteness constriction of vector space bases, but they are neither.

They generate the direct product (not direct sum!) ##\ell_2=\mathbb{R}|1\rangle \times \mathbb{R}|2\rangle \times \mathbb{R}|3\rangle \times \ldots ##. To call it a topological basis is plain wrong in my opinion.
Not sure what you mean! No one was talking about the direct sum nor the direct product. And, yes, it is just i name the author uses. I think it is quite standard.

The basis of a topology is defined as subset of open sets. To distinguish it from a topological basis is hopefully not standard! And if, I will no longer use english and topology at the same time.
martinbn said:
No one was talking about the direct sum nor the direct product.
Unfortunately. This is what it is about.

fresh_42 said:
The basis of a topology is defined as subset of open sets. To distinguish it from a topological basis is hopefully not standard! And if, I will no longer use english and topology at the same time.
No, it is not about bases of a topology, but about bases of topological vector spaces.
Unfortunately. This is what it is about.
I still don't understand the ##l_2## space is not the direct sum nor the direct product.

martinbn said:
No, it is not about bases of a topology, but about bases of topological vector spaces.
In this case, the wording is more than confusing.
martinbn said:
I still don't understand the ##l_2## space is not the direct sum nor the direct product.
As ##\mathbb{R}##-module?

fresh_42 said:
In this case, the wording is more than confusing.
It can be, that's why the context is important.
As ##\mathbb{R}##-module?
The direct sum is the vector space of all finite sequences of real numbers. The direct product of all sequences. The ##l_2## of all square summable sequences.

That's what I said. They generate the ##\mathbb{R}## module. No basis in either meaning, and not very related to one of the structures of ##\ell_2##. All it does is: We can write the elements of ##\ell_2## as ...

Calling it a topological basis when a basis of a topology is something else, is a very bad choice.

I agree that topological basis is very bad use of language because you immediately think about a collection of opens in a topological space.

I also agree with @martinbn post #2. This is what the author had in mind.

Since ##l^2## is a Hilbert space, a more appropriate name would be "orthonormal basis".

Likes fresh_42
But it's still not a basis by the regular vector space definition, which the author thinks is more important to distinguish.

I think this is often called a Schauder basis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schauder_basis). I haven't seen the term "topological basis" used for this but it makes sense (although it's not a basis for a topology...)

Here's a page from nLab, where the term "topological basis" (not in the sense "basis for the topology") is used, and it seems to be differentiated from both the Hamel and the Schauder basis (although I'm not exactly sure I understand the difference):
https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/basis+in+functional+analysis

Likes Infrared
@Dragon27 I think the difference is something like this: Let ##V=C([0,1])##, with the sup norm. Then ##1,x,x^2,\ldots## is not a Schauder basis because not every continuous function is a power series, but it is a topological basis according to your link because every continuous function on a finite interval can be uniformly approximated by polynomials (and none of these monomials can be uniformly approximated by others).

The link actually claims that you can uniformly approximate x on an interval with higher degree monomials at the bottom. But it does give a similar example using Fourier series.

Likes Infrared
Thanks, I should have read a bit further before posting...

1. What is a topological basis in l2 space?

A topological basis in l2 space refers to a set of open sets that can be used to define the topology of l2 space. This means that any open set in l2 space can be expressed as a union of sets from the topological basis.

2. Why is a topological basis important in l2 space?

A topological basis in l2 space is important because it allows us to define the topology of l2 space in a more efficient and compact way. It also helps us to better understand the properties and behavior of l2 space.

3. How is a topological basis determined in l2 space?

A topological basis in l2 space is typically determined by finding a collection of open sets that satisfy the properties of a topological basis, such as being open, covering l2 space, and having a well-defined intersection.

4. What are the benefits of using a topological basis in l2 space?

Using a topological basis in l2 space allows us to define the topology of l2 space in a more concise and organized manner. It also helps us to easily compare and contrast different topologies within l2 space.

5. Can a topological basis be used in other spaces besides l2 space?

Yes, a topological basis can be used in other spaces besides l2 space. In fact, it is a common concept in topology and can be applied to various types of spaces, such as metric spaces, topological spaces, and more.