Which Fields of Physics Utilize Topology and Geometry in Modern Research?

• Thread starter electroweak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the fields of physics that have the closest connections to topology and geometry are String Theory, gauge theories, QFT, and General Relativity. These concepts involve ideas such as holography, compactifications, moduli spaces, and Yang-Mills instantons which all require advanced math knowledge. Even in Condensed Matter theory, there are applications of topology, such as in topological insulators. The books "Geometrical methods in mathematical physics" by Bernhard Schutz, "The geometry of physics: an introduction" by Frankel, and "Gauge fields, knots and gravity" by John Baez all showcase the use of topology and geometry in physics. The idea that "all physical theories are geometry" is also
electroweak
Which fields (and specific projects) of physics have the closest connections to topology and geometry? If your research involves a lot of math of this sort, can you tell me about it?

I took introductory QFT (P&S) and string theory (Polchinski) sequences this last academic year and touched on several such ideas, about which I know only the basics:
-- Holography and AdS/CFT
-- Compactifications and moduli spaces
-- Yang-Mills instantons
Math is obviously quite relevant to the formulation of these concepts, but to what extent does knowing topology and geometry aid one in modern research?

It seems like anything having to do with nonperturbative field theory requires cutting-edge math. This new focus on duality and QGP looks super neat. Is it math-intensive?

Does modern GR research involve much math? The class I took used a bit of general topology and tensor work but it was all fairly basic. Does cutting-edge GR work (what is cutting-edge GR work, anyway?) involve cool concepts in topology and geometry? I feel like I saw the phrase "fiber bundle" in a GR paper at one point...

I know little to nothing about condensed matter physics, but I hear it can be mathy. How so? Is CFT a big deal? Do physicists still think about VOAs? What is this knotted fields business? What about TQFT? Do any recent developments in quantum information involve interesting math?

My plan is to continue learning algebraic/differential topology/geometry as I have been for about a year now: it's interesting enough to keep me motivated even if I can't apply it. But it would really be great if I could work it into my research in physics. And since I'm nearing the point in my career where I need to begin developing more specialized interests, I'd like to know what my options are. Again, I'd love to hear about any type of theory research that involves what you consider to be beautiful math -- HEP, CMT, whatever. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can perhaps take a look at the books:

Bernhard Schutz: "Geometrical methods in mathematical physics"
Frankel: "The geometry of physics: an introduction"
John Baez: "Gauge fields, knots and gravity"

I'm not an expert on this but from what I've seen I would say that geometry is widely used in String Theory, gauge theories and QFT in general, and also of course in General Relativity. Fiber bundle is definitely a word I recognize (although it may not be in the books above)! =) There are also fields in Condensed Matter theory I think which use topology, the thing that comes to mind is topological insulators.

Take a look at the books above and you will probably find loads of use of topology and geometry in physics.

I think it was in the book "Gravitation" by MTW that one of them proposes that "all physical theories are geometry". This was not a new idea in 1974 or thereabouts but it is one reference that I remember.

1. What is topology in physics?

Topology in physics refers to the study of the properties of a physical system that remain unchanged under continuous deformations. This can include concepts such as shape, connectivity, and orientation of objects in space.

2. How is topology used in physics?

Topology is used in physics to understand and describe the behavior of physical systems, such as the properties of materials, the structure of spacetime, and the behavior of particles. It also plays a role in fields like quantum mechanics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology.

3. What is the difference between topology and geometry in physics?

While topology and geometry are closely related, they differ in their focus. Topology is concerned with the properties of a system that remain unchanged under continuous deformations, while geometry deals with the specific measurements and properties of shapes and objects in space.

4. How does topology relate to relativity?

In the theory of general relativity, the shape of spacetime is described by a mathematical structure known as a manifold. This manifold has a specific topology, which determines the overall properties of the spacetime, such as whether it is flat or curved.

5. Can topology be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, topology has numerous applications in real-world problems, such as in materials science, where it can be used to understand and design new materials with specific properties. It also has applications in data analysis, network theory, and even in understanding the structure of the universe.