Topology of Relativity: Implications of Niels Bohr's Arguments

In summary, Niels Bohr argued that the theory of relativity is not a literal representation of the universe, as it involves the use of complex numbers in its equations. This approach was popular in the past, but is now considered misleading and not applicable to general relativity. Additionally, it is not necessary or helpful to use complex numbers in relativity. The implications of this in terms of the insights related to the global topology of the universe are unclear, as there is no clear consensus on whether physical theories can be considered as "pictorial representations."
victorvmotti
I have seen in the online Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy in the entry on Copenhagen Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics that Niels Bohr had argued that the theory of relativity is not a literal representation of the universe:

"Neither does the theory of relativity, Bohr argued, provide us with a literal representation, since the velocity of light is introduced with a factor of i in the definition of the fourth coordinate in a four-dimensional manifold."

By this he means that like the quantum mechanics, the theory of relativity involves $$i$$ in its equations. That is in the fourth dimension of spacetime. Therefore it is a symbolic not pictorial representation of the universe.

Now I am trying to make sense of the geometrical implications for the spacetime.

Consider a flat universe and dimensions in which [tex]c=1[/tex]. The metric with the [tex]-+++[/tex]signature could be read like:

$$i^2d\alpha^2+d\theta^2+d\phi^2+d\psi^2$$

We can have the global spacetime topology defined by

$$C_{\infty} \times C_{\infty} \times C_{\infty} \times C_{\infty}$$

Where [tex]C_{\infty}[/tex] is the Riemann sphere.

Now the above local metric of a flat universe can be interpreted as describing a complex 4-torus or just one curve consisting of the product of four circles on the global product of four Riemann spheres. With time dimension, [tex]i \alpha[/tex], in the current universe, charted to only imaginary and the other dimensions to the real.

So globally, in this topology, we have this closed timelike curve, which is the only curve.

Am I right about the conclusions?

So my question is that what are the implications, especially the in terms of the insights related to the global topology of the universe, if we note that the theory of relativity is not a pictorial representation as highlighted by Niels Bohr.

Physics news on Phys.org
victorvmotti said:
So my question is that what are the implications, especially the in terms of the insights related to the global topology of the universe, if we note that the theory of relativity is not a pictorial representation as highlighted by Niels Bohr.

You've found some of the many reasons to dislike the ##ict## approach to describing spacetime geometry. This approach was fashionable back in its day, and that's likely when Bohr made that comment. It has the advantage of making the Lorentz transform in Minkowski space look formally like a rotation in Euclidean space; but this is more than negated by being both misleading and not easily carried forward into general relativity.

Unlike QM, introducing complex numbers into relativity is neither necessary or helpful - so no matter what they used to do back then, it's better not to.

As for whether relativity, or any physical theory for that matter, can be properly called a "pictorial representation"... That's a completely sterile discussion and a pretty good way of getting a thread locked.

Likes victorvmotti

What is topology of relativity?

Topology of relativity is a theoretical framework that combines concepts from both topology and relativity to study the structure of space-time and the behavior of matter within it. It was first proposed by physicist Niels Bohr in the early 20th century as a way to reconcile the principles of general relativity and quantum mechanics.

What are the implications of Niels Bohr's arguments?

Niels Bohr's arguments have significant implications in the field of physics. They challenge traditional notions of causality and the absolute nature of space and time. His ideas have also influenced the development of quantum field theory and the understanding of the fundamental forces of nature.

How does topology of relativity relate to general relativity and quantum mechanics?

Topology of relativity combines elements from both general relativity and quantum mechanics, two major theories in physics. It aims to provide a more comprehensive framework for understanding the behavior of matter and space-time at both macroscopic and microscopic scales.

What are the key principles of topology of relativity?

The key principles of topology of relativity include the concept of space-time as a manifold with a non-trivial topology, the idea of non-locality and non-separability of particles, and the use of topological invariants to describe the properties of space-time.

Are there any experimental or observational evidence for topology of relativity?

Currently, there is no direct experimental or observational evidence for topology of relativity. However, it has provided a theoretical framework for understanding various phenomena, such as quantum entanglement and black holes, that have been observed and studied in experiments and observations.